Thread: Wheel bearings

Red
    2000 Z28

Wheel bearings

HELP! I don't want to look like an idiot at the dealership, and I would rather look like an idiot in front of you guys instead. I have the typical bearing noise that I have heard in my other cars, and have replaced front wheel bearings before, but these are the rears. I am finding different answers on the web about whether there are "Wheel bearings, Axle Bearings, or both" on rear wheel drive cars. I was at the dealership, but got a call on my cell and had to bolt out the door and told him I would be back. But before I bolted, I asked him for axle bearings, but then started to second guess myself when he was talking about rear end seals. I know you have to dissasemble the rear to get to them, but am second guessing myself anyway. Someone please confirm on way or another.

PS- doing the job is not a big deal, I have a technical expert willing to help me, so don't worry.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by BeaupreFan View Post
    HELP! I don't want to look like an idiot at the dealership, and I would rather look like an idiot in front of you guys instead. I have the typical bearing noise that I have heard in my other cars, and have replaced front wheel bearings before, but these are the rears. I am finding different answers on the web about whether there are "Wheel bearings, Axle Bearings, or both" on rear wheel drive cars. I was at the dealership, but got a call on my cell and had to bolt out the door and told him I would be back. But before I bolted, I asked him for axle bearings, but then started to second guess myself when he was talking about rear end seals. I know you have to dissasemble the rear to get to them, but am second guessing myself anyway. Someone please confirm on way or another.

PS- doing the job is not a big deal, I have a technical expert willing to help me, so don't worry.

i just replaced my wheel bearings.. and man..it was too late for me...the fucked up bearings ate through my axles...so now i have to get new ones...

ok WESMAN helped me out...he should be coming along pretty soon...if not...lemme try..if i were you ...i would replace the 2 rear axle bearings and seals(get them at some autozone or advance)...like wesman said..try getting timken...oh and you need a special tool to get the bearings out

Thread Information