Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

What's your input on FilterMags?

Like the title says, what's your input on the FilterMags? I've seen other types of magnets (ie FilterDot) but overall the FilterMag looks really good. I know when I changed my differential the other day, the magnet inside the casing had really helped collect metallic particles. Therefore, I have been debating on getting the FilterMag for my oil filter & possibly some other type of magnets for my tranny pan. So....

Does anyone use a FilterMag or similar product, and what is your overall opinion of them? Thanks!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Your drain plug shoud be magnetic, in my opinion its just a waste of money.
    Also inside of your pan there is also a smaller magnet, you will not see or get the chunks you find in your diff from your tranny or Engine and if you do, i would say you have a serious issue on your hands.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I know my drain plug for the engine oil is magnetic...but I haven't had a chance yet to change the tranny fluid (this is what I'll be doing next) so I haven't had a chance to look & check out a magnet in the pan. But you're saying that there's already one in there? Yeah, I didn't know if the oil filter magnet or tranny magnets were worth it or not, but am extremely anal with my cars & had to get some opinions! Thanks!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Use em if you want to.....they work great on pulling the money out of your wallet.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Use em if you want to.....they work great on pulling the money out of your wallet.
    LOL...I think that about answers my question! I appreciate your expertise, Sarge, so I know I can trust your advice....you don't think they're beneficial at all?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No I do think they trap some particles before they go through the filter media.....

I think the drain plug magnet is a good idea, and have one of those in every car. The filter mag on the other hand I'm not completely sold on. Not to mention they are somewhat expensive anyway. So I leave the engine to the drain plug magnet.

I do carry this theory a step further though when it comes to transmissions and rearends. If the trans pan or diff cover don't already have magnets,,,,(some do) Then I will take the time to glue a magnet to the inside of the tranny pan and the inside of the differential cover.

During fluid changes a cleaning of the magnets are necessary and catch alot of stuff. I find this especially necessary in the differential cover where no filter is present to catch debri. The magnet does a great job here.

Generally you will find that most factory positraction rearends already have a magnet glued to the inside of the cover.

This magnet trick goes back a ways.
    I rebuild alot of muncie transmissions and I find magnets that were glued inside these as well. Although they cannot be accessed for cleaning during a simple fluid change,,,,but during a rebuild I find 30+ years of junk collected on them Definately better than having that junk floating around in the trans....

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I'm big into audio so I have many speakers laying around that are blown. Yes they are pricey. I just throw a chunk of woofer magnet on the filter. That is only on cheap filters though. Usually if a customer has a POS Fram I will put a magnet on there for them without telling them. LOL

I don't think they can hurt.

Your tranny pan already has one laying in it from GM. What I would add with a aftermarket trans cooler is a in-line filter/magnet. We put them on everything and my tranny guy will only warr. vehicles that add that at the same time due to the fact it actually traps sooo much more crap.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Your tranny pan already has one laying in it from GM.
    Ya the newer cars such as the 4th gens do,,,,I was referring to the older stuff, which is mainly what I work on anyway. You won't find them in the turbo 350/400 pans, so I glue them in. Some of the older differentials don't have them on the cover either. So I generally glue some in there as well.

You are right,,,,speaker magnets work great for this,,,cheap insurance.

Not to mention,,,where have ya been???? I pm'd you a while back. Coming out to Arizona in 2 days,,,woooohoooo
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-03-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Yeah, regarding the differential magnet catching a lot of particles & being very beneficial....that's what got me wondering more about adding a magnet to the oil filter & other places...when I changed my differential fluid a few days ago & saw how much gunk that magnet caught, I knew I had to get other people's advice on the FilterMags...

Black
    2005 GTO

I use one, I was young and dumb and spent $50 on one. I still use it, I don't think it harms anything so why not keep using it. I usually don't see much for metal on the drain plug all my old cars had magnetic drain plugs and I saw alot more metal on the plug. So either I have very little wear going on or the filter mag acutually does something.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

hmm...so it sounds like they might actually work.....I change my oil religiously & still find some metal particles on the magnetic drain plug when I change out the oil; but if you really don't find anything on the drain plug at all there may be some benefits to filtermags....of course, I realize I can't base my car on yours-yours may be running more efficiently for some reason...but still.....

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Find some broke hardrives and take the neo magnents outta them. They work great and are free usually. but if your looking for something nice and pretty and super effect then filtermag will help...

So prefill the oil filter and install the magnents and a lot of wear should be cut out!

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Find some broke hardrives and take the neo magnents outta them. They work great and are free usually. but if your looking for something nice and pretty and super effect then filtermag will help...

So prefill the oil filter and install the magnents and a lot of wear should be cut out!

So you use magnets then? Have you noticed, with firsthand experience, them being beneficial?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I took one of those filter cuters when I was still at the tech school and in my 350 in my blazer it took a ton of crap out. It has over 250,000 mile and it took about 2 pinchfulls(thats a new measurement) of metal outta it. Thats with a k&n filter and royal purple oil.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I took one of those filter cuters when I was still at the tech school and in my 350 in my blazer it took a ton of crap out. It has over 250,000 mile and it took about 2 pinchfulls(thats a new measurement) of metal outta it. Thats with a k&n filter and royal purple oil.

Hmm...really? That sounds like it's worth it to put a magnet on!!! That much metal that had been previously circulating in the engine would no doubt cause a lot of wear & tear. Especially if that's even with a K&N filter and Royal Purple oil (I use both of those for my oil changes). BTW, 2 pinchfulls should definitely be added to the standard units of measurement

silver
    98 ss camaro

I've heard of the magnets but not the filtermags what exactly are they just a chuck of mag or what any pictures.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    I've heard of the magnets but not the filtermags what exactly are they just a chuck of mag or what any pictures.
    Give me a sec....I'll find a pic to post on here...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Okay, here we go...

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Give me a sec....I'll find a pic to post on here...
    Doesn't look like too bad for 50 bucks I'm not sure how much more effective they are then just throwing some high power magnets on there. I'd spend it not that expensive and I'd rather not have the metal particles in there.

Thread Information