Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Unhappy Whats my car worth?? Fair asking price

Hey guys I am trying to come up with a fair asking price for my Camaro Ive had it posted for a little while now and havent had any bites. I priced it high because I wasnt too concerned with getting it sold but now Im ready to let it go and desperately need a truck. Below is the link to autotrader where is posted. Ive put alot of blood sweat and tears into this car so I know im biased in my pricing so im hoping for some unbiased advice, I just have a hard time believing the KBB value of 10,000........

Cars for Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 in Waynesville, NC 28786: Coupe Details - 377718965 - AutoTrader.com

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/4790439687.html

Car Info:
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 Ls1
    32K original miles, other than the crossbar paint bubbling the car is literally flawless

Mods:
    Sub frame connectors
    Panhard bar
    lowering springs
    bilstein shocks
    strut tower brace
    front and rear sway bars

stainless steel 3'' longtubes
    Stage 8 locking hardware
    MSD wires and protective heat shield boots
    3'' electronic cutout
    custom exhaust with CME corsa clone tips and 6LE valance
    slp intake
    Hurst shifter

custom paint $3,000 black with silver stripes and a hand laid pin stripe
    17'' and 18'' C6 wheels with brand new Nitto NT05's
    Letter inlays front and rear
    All badges replaced
    LED gauge backlight swap
    Front grill removed, holes filled and repainted with wire mesh in the fake intake holes

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My understanding is that mods and aftermarket upgrades dont generally retain their value very well in the resale market.

I bought my car (a 98 convertible) with 44000 miles on it for $9300 after ttalking the guy down from $10,000. This was 4.5 years ago in 2010.

The guy had about $4000 in the car, but the NADA value was about $10,000. So he took a nearly $5000 "loss" on the sale.

Anyway, not saying your car issnt worth more, although I would tend to assume that custom paint and "appearance" mods add nothing to the car's value, since those based on personal preference.

Other mods that are "small" probably also have a negligible effect on value, such as the air lid or the short shifter.

In my PERSONAL opinion, the only thing that adds value is the headers and possibly the rear end (not sure what a stage 8 is) if it is useable as a daily driver. Otherwise, if its a racing/track only type mod, it would actually diminish the value to me.

Anyway, thats just my opinion. I hope its helpful.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I just looked at your post again... does "locking hardware" even refer to the rear end? No idea...

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I just looked at your post again... does "locking hardware" even refer to the rear end? No idea...
    Locking header bolts so they dont loosen and get header gasket leaks. Nothing with the rear end.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I hate to say this but you are about $7500-8500 too high on your asking price. You could probably list it for $500 above what the value is to try and get some money back from the mods and you could somewhat justify it, but at the end of the day you're going to lose money on the mods you did...thats just how selling cars goes. From what I can tell it doesnt have leather or anything so it was a Z28 base package right?

With that said you are still way better off selling it than trading it tho...if you trade it in on a new truck or something you'll really get destroyed on the price...set the price realistically high not unrealistically high...knock your asking price down to like $11,500 and somebody might take a swing at it and offer you $8,000-10,000.

Probably not the answer you wanted but its the honest one. Sorry man...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 12-11-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I know you have a lot into the car but this is the worst tie of year to sell a RWD vehicle and especially a summertime car like the Camaro. If you can wait until mid February you should see more activity with income tax returns starting to come in. I would price the car at 13500 obo and be prepared to field a lot of offers in the 12's. Sorry but that is just what the market is in Obama land.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Just as others have said people only want to pay blue book value. You have to find that one right guy that loves your thoughts and style and have cash because most if not all banks won't lend anything over book. I have lost big time on the last 2 custom bikes I sold. You listed you have most if not all stock parts? Get them out and put it back to stock as much as possible then sell the parts. Not the fastest way to get your money but will be the biggest bang for your investment
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the replies guys, I am not in a hurry to sell so I knocked the price down to 15k and Ill just let it sit there until summer and hopefully Ill find some takers or someone wanting to trade on a truck. I only paid 8K for the car so I wont be at much of a loss. I just find myself looking through cars and seeing a 2005 Tacoma with 150K miles for 16K dollars and thinking really? That thing is worth more than my car!??? lol. I almost want to hang on to it but im not sure that these year models will really turn into collectibles within the next 5-10 years.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I am not in a hurry to sell so I knocked the price down to 15k and Ill just let it sit there until summer and hopefully Ill find some takers or someone wanting to trade on a truck. I only paid 8K for the car so I wont be at much of a loss. I just find myself looking through cars and seeing a 2005 Tacoma with 150K miles for 16K dollars and thinking really? That thing is worth more than my car!??? lol. I almost want to hang on to it but im not sure that these year models will really turn into collectibles within the next 5-10 years.
    They only thing preventing our cars from becoming collectables is the amount of them that were produced but it could happen later on down the road...especially the Pontiacs.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Im wondering if they ever will be. The old Camaros were so simple to take apart modify and make them your own and these cars with all the electronics and plastic clips, dashboards etc arent nearly as fun to work on. I feel like after 2010 I just lost interest in the car, up until that point I could hang with the new camaros and mustangs but now everything is making crazy horsepower and my car is just feeling a little outdated and slow. Anyone having the same woes? lol At the same time im still attached to this thing!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Honestly, my car is fast compared to 99% of other cars on the road, and it gets the job done for me. The power right now is stockish, and she moves pretty quick, as far as I'm concerned. When I get her back, she'll be more comparable to the modern stuff, but it's not really about that for me.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I went thru this same situation as the OP. I put lots of extras an upgrades on my 1998 trans am. It was in great condition. I had it since 43k. I kinda added all my extras and the kelly blue book value and I came up with the idea of $8,000 for it. The current value by blue book was $4,500. I ended up selling the car almost 6 months later waiting for the right person that will appreciate all the work it was put in my car. Sadly I never was even close to 8K. Before I sold it I decided to pull all the extras that were worth selling and then sell. I sold the for $5900. After selling all my extras I got about 1k back.

You have decide if you need to sell asap then think about lowering the price. You might more if you find the right buyer that knows about these car but it might take along time. People are looking to not spend more than what the kelly blue book value is. I wish you luck selling it.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Well the car is gone. I ended up trading a guy for his 2003 F250 and he added 4,500 bucks on top of the deal. The trucks KBB is 11,000 so I made out pretty well. Im still a little upset about the car being gone seeing as how Ive had it since 11th grade...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

On the bright side, these cars are not that expensive (yet). So, you may be able to pick up another after saving up a little bit.

Thread Information