Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Exclamation Whats missing here?

Its my driverside mirror on my 01 WS6. Walked out of the movie theater last saturday, about 5min after I pull out the lot I notice my mirror is dark, wtf, so I look, not its not dark, it just gone. Dont know if it was missing when I pulled out my spot or if it fell of while driving.

Anyway, besides the glass, what else is missing? Backing plate of some type I would assume. Any adjusters/screws/springs that go in the holes of the motor?

GM apparantly only sells either just the glass, or the whole freaking thing.

Thanks for the help,
    Matt

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Junk yard and take off the entire unit for probably less than $40.

Just my $.02

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

No yards around me have any. Was my first attempt. GM dealer was 2nd, they only offer the mirror glass itself, or the whole unit, which then must be repainted. I may try calling junkyards further away from me though.

red black
    98Z28

There is a backing plate for the glass thats missing, pops in and out fairly easy. Knocked mine out one day while washing car. Pressed it back in to place with no problem. Just use firm pressure in the center of mirror where you will see a bar that fits the slots in your pic. This must seat for the mirror to work properly.

white
    2002 z28

while your at it you should look for the blue tinted mirrors that were on the early models

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 89RS&98Z28 View Post
    There is a backing plate for the glass thats missing, pops in and out fairly easy. Knocked mine out one day while washing car. Pressed it back in to place with no problem. Just use firm pressure in the center of mirror where you will see a bar that fits the slots in your pic. This must seat for the mirror to work properly.
    So there is nothing that connects the mirror backing plate to the motor itself(the holes where the motor adjusters spin)?

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28
    while your at it you should look for the blue tinted mirrors that were on the early models
    If I find them, I'll pick them up, but I figure it probably is hard enough to find normal ones around me.

Thanks,

Matt

...going to the darkside gspfunk's Avatar
    the backing should be attached to the back of the mirror. Like mentioned above, there will be a bar that snaps into the brackets in your pic. Use some force in the center of the mirror, but be careful, as it IS glass.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    Odd turn of events. I ordered a used mirror from Hawks, he sells the full unit for 50 bucks a side so I ordered just the driver side. Guess what comes, one with the blue tinted mirror. Looks weird, but it works. Now I guess I should either try to find a passenger mirror in blue, or look for someone who wants to trade their normal mirror for the blue tinted one.

Thread Information