Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What tires grip at 30 degrees?

I do a lot of driving in cold weather, anywhere from 50 degrees to 20 degrees. I'm not talking about ice or snow, just cold temps. What tires will really hook up well in these cold temps. I find the factory tires on my 2002WS6 get very very slippery when they get cold.

Is there any way to tell which tires are better in the cold than others?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I do a lot of driving in cold weather, anywhere from 50 degrees to 20 degrees. I'm not talking about ice or snow, just cold temps. What tires will really hook up well in these cold temps. I find the factory tires on my 2002WS6 get very very slippery when they get cold.

Is there any way to tell which tires are better in the cold than others?
    None...

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok, serious face now...

What type of driving? Just everyday driving or are you looking to go screaming around cloverleafs at 80mph? Cause you're never going to find a tire that lets you drive like you're on the road during summer. Rubber and cold don't mix that well and you're better off just using All Season tires (Kumho Ecstas are nice) and taking it easier/safer during the cold times of the month.

OR

You could get a beater car and park your LSx

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post

You could get a beater car and park your LSx
    +1, for the price of a new set of different "winter" tires you can get a beater

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

None

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

No performance tire is going to hook well in the cold, unfortunately.

In fact, you might be better off with an All Season tire, summer tires feel like you're driving on ice when they break loose in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    No performance tire is going to hook well in the cold, unfortunately.
    summer tires feel like you're driving on ice when they break loose in cold weather.

Hahaha...ohhh yea, tried that out a few weeks ago ;-)

Actually I do have a winter car, as soon as the first bit of salt gets put on the roads for winter the WS6 gets garaged and out comes "old red" BUT summer is very short up here in Canada and I like to drive the WS6 as much as possible (7 maybe 8 months a year, weather permitting) Not just the 3 warm summer months when the tires hook well.
    The thing is I'm from a small town so a typical night out lands me in a far off city and I don't get home until the wee hours of the morning and temps have usually plummetted by then. It may hit 85 in early june or late august in the day and still be 60 in the evening, but by the time 11pm rolls around it could be down to 40. In May and September its actually below the freezing mark several nights each year.

So yes, there are no tires that will work wonders in the cold, but I have no doubt "Some" tires do better at colder temps than others.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

i get contisportcontacts from tirerack.com only 130 a pop and they are really good all year round

White
    1999 Transam WS6

I have Fuzion ZRI(summer performance) in my ws6 atm and I haven't had any loss of traction yet in the 20-30degree weather lately, even in the middle of medium-rainfall. Maybe I just don't go crazy with the "go fast" pedal?

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Ventus 275's on mine. No traction under 45degrees. Car is a stock ss, a4. i can spin them anywhere under 50 in about 40 degree weather. or if i get on it taking off(not quite WOT), spin all the way through 1st, all the way through 2nd and a little in third. just revs up because no traction

black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    Ventus 275's on mine. No traction under 45degrees. Car is a stock ss, a4. i can spin them anywhere under 50 in about 40 degree weather. or if i get on it taking off(not quite WOT), spin all the way through 1st, all the way through 2nd and a little in third. just revs up because no traction
    I have the same one's on my car, didn't do too bad when I had to take the car out on a -40 day cause it was the only one that would start. No long high way runs and the pavement was dry. They suck in the wet though.

Any ways, long story short, performance tires= bad karma in the cold if you want drive like you do in the warm an sunny. nothing you can do about it. Just slow down and take it easy.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

-40, i cant begin to guess how cold that feels

black
    2002 WS6

Stand in a walk in freezer and that will only get you started.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Stand in a walk in freezer and that will only get you started.
    fuck that, I get pissed when I wake up and its 19F out which would be like -7 C

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    fuck that, I get pissed when I wake up and its 19F out which would be like -7 C
    Well as we speak its -16 out, but the Trans Am is garaged, Its just stupid cold... even the bonneville with mud and snow tires that are studded dont grip for shit with this cold and snow... i physically could not go faster than 40 b/c trying to make the motor pull any more than that the tires would break loose and you were fucked

None

Nothing... I know of?

At least nothing that I am putting on my SS!
    My tires want to slip in this NE cold in my winter beater.

None

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Well as we speak its -16 out, but the Trans Am is garaged, Its just stupid cold... even the bonneville with mud and snow tires that are studded dont grip for shit with this cold and snow... i physically could not go faster than 40 b/c trying to make the motor pull any more than that the tires would break loose and you were fucked
    Mine is put away as well!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

all seasons or snows would be MUUUUCH better for cold weather traction........your not going to get good traction in cold temps with ANY summer tire

I was thinking about getting a set of performance all season tires to run in spring and fall when its pretty cold out but I just read this article on performance cars and thier tires yesterday. In the article it stated that all season tires loose traction at virtually the same rate as summer tires with the critical point comming at about 7 degrees C where traction rapidly fades below that point. Of course the all seasons are better in bad road conditions because of their tread depth and pattern but on dry pavement the article seemed to indicate they weren't much if any improvement...it claimed only winter tires had a significant enough difference in thier rubber compound to make any traction difference.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I was thinking about getting a set of performance all season tires to run in spring and fall when its pretty cold out but I just read this article on performance cars and thier tires yesterday. In the article it stated that all season tires loose traction at virtually the same rate as summer tires with the critical point comming at about 7 degrees C where traction rapidly fades below that point. Of course the all seasons are better in bad road conditions because of their tread depth and pattern but on dry pavement the article seemed to indicate they weren't much if any improvement...it claimed only winter tires had a significant enough difference in thier rubber compound to make any traction difference.
    good info!!! get some cheap snows then on 16 inch wheels..245/50/16

Thread Information