Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

What oil do you use?

Iv been using mobile 1 since the day i got my car. However, when i did my first few changes i used 5w-30 and my car was literally drinking oil. Every few weeks i went through a quart of oil. So i decided to go with 10-30 and the problem seemed to subside. I just changed the oil last night, so well see how it works out in a few weeks. Does any1 here run 10-40? or is it a bit much? I run 10-30/40 in the summer and 5-30 in the winter.

Black
    2002 Trans AM WS6

well im in texas and i've always run Mobil 1 10w-30 in my bird. I've never had any oil consumption problems

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Here in Indiana, I've only used 5w30 and have had no problems...

White
    99Trans am

royal purple 20w/50 with k&N oil filter never had a problem

Black
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I hear that royal purple is really awesome stuff. Im looking forward to trying it my next oil change.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Valvoline racing oil 10w30 and a quart of lucas. Tested and proven in my dirt track car, doesnt burn up like most normal oils.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Better throw all that other shit away & get you some GC or Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and use only the K&N filter if you want your LS1 engine to last and not smoke or use oil .
    Can I get an AMEN ?

black trans am

i dont care if ur using ams oil moble one or pruple ur ls1 fbody will use oil if u (A) down shift (B) go over 3000rpm (C) have the stock type pcv valve or (D) all of the above. this also goes for gtos . gm sent out a bullten about this issue u can get a pcv valve from ws6 store that will brun less oil or u can get a catch can and that will also fix ur problem

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

Royal Purlpe 5w30 & a K&N oil filter .
    1999 T/A FIREHAWK - SLP Lid & Bellow,LT`s & Catted Y & Power-Flo Catback , MSD & NGK , UMI 3P SFC,ADJ PHB,STB,LCA`s & Relos , Eibach Pro Kit , Bilstine/SLP Shocks , MAC Diff Cover , BFG & OE Wheels C5DD 18x9.5/10.5 , HID 8000K Headlights - Dyno`d @ 319.07 HP & 327.23 Ft-lb ( Tuned by Champ Motors )

BLACK
    2001 TRANS AM

Amsoil 10-30 with K&N filter. Zero oil consumption issues.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

lol royal purple and mobil 1 are waaayyy overrated and overpriced!!!!!!

pennzoil platinum is way mo betta. just stick with an ac delco filter

White
    2001 Z28

Pennzoil Platinum 10-30, Oil Catch Can, New PCV valve, Amsoil filters, and a Dyson Oil Analysis. Can't do better than that.

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

Oil

i use royal purple 10w40 and k&n filter. havent had any problems for the last 3 years.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Iv been using mobile 1 since the day i got my car. However, when i did my first few changes i used 5w-30 and my car was literally drinking oil. Every few weeks i went through a quart of oil. So i decided to go with 10-30 and the problem seemed to subside. I just changed the oil last night, so well see how it works out in a few weeks. Does any1 here run 10-40? or is it a bit much? I run 10-30/40 in the summer and 5-30 in the winter.
    Castrol 0-30 Euro formula (says Imported from Germany) on the back.

It cut oil usage from 5-30 M1 EP at 1qt per 3K miles to 1/4qt per 4K miles. (including rev-match downshifts, somewhat frequent street races, and 5 passes down the track, all of which I did NOT do on the M1 EP. I bet it REALLY woulda guzzled it then!).

I run 6qts and an K&N standard capacity filter.

That and run the truck PCV "valve" it just has a hole in it. Check to make sure the increased vac. doesnt crush your PCV line from the PCV to the intake, if so, replace with fuel-injection rated fuel hose.

Most people who say their LS1 uses NO! oil either do not check it in a consistent position (same parking spot after setting overnight) or they are just not that picky. I had a guy at the track one time get rather irritable with me when I implied his CETA was using oil (without ever looking at the dip stick) when he told me he ran mobil 1. I said "Lets take a look." "Fine, go ahead". I pulled out hte dip-stick (mind you, he had made a 1/4 mile pass and was sittin in the pits shut-down, so oil had been slung about). As SOON as he saw the dip-stick spattered all over with oil he gave a triumphant grunt at the know-it-all college buy. Well, I wiped it down on my T_shirt and stuck it in and then pulled her back out and whadda ya know? It was BARELY even on the XXX'ed part of the dip-stick. At this point he grew concerned and began rummaging in his trunk for an extra qt of oil, then asked me, and then other people. Lol, I told him I don't run M1 and it would not be wise to mix oils possibly.

I find most owners who belligerantly claim to use NO OIL AT ALL mirror the above except for a select few.
    Last edited by stanger88; 05-14-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer25f View Post
    Valvoline racing oil 10w30 and a quart of lucas. Tested and proven in my dirt track car, doesnt burn up like most normal oils.
    I would refrain from putting miracle syrups in an LS1 personally. I just don't think they do any more good than harm.

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

I've tried, 5/30 Royal, 5/30 Mobil 1, & 5/30 Quaker Q synthetic all with Delco filters. Ran perfect with all, didn't notice a any differences between them.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Valvoline 5w-30 and Fram filter.

and use the rev limiter when needed.

No problems, the car just rolled 100,000 miles
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbird View Post
    I hear that royal purple is really awesome stuff. Im looking forward to trying it my next oil change.
    I tried royal purple when I bought my car in february it has always had mobile1 according to previous owner never had piston slap before I changed the oil And I'm not saying it was all royal purple could have been tune letting feul in to break it down but it started to have piston slap about four days after I started using it and it would get worse so I changed back to mobil one slap is still there but it is better.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Q-horsepower synth. 5w-30 and KN filter

2000 Z28

I have 139,xxx on my 00' Z i just bought a month ago, don't know what was used in it before I got it, most likely never Synthetic. I just changed the oil/filter/pcv. Used Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and Fram filter(all they had). Where can I get the K&N oil filter? NAPA?

My PCV valve was in a big rubber boot thing(OEM im guesiing), and it was all oily and split in half and oil was spraying onto the block and front of head pass. side head. I fabbed up a coupling using 2 different size hoses. Then wrapped em in electrical tape. Looks OEM to me. Plus it doesn't leak oil.

Thread Information