Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Cool what is the horse power difference in a 99 ls1 in a TA and a 02 vette?

My brother have a 02 corvette and I have a 99 TA,he delieves that there is a big difference in horse power.he believes that GM made a special engine just for the vette. The vette is not a zo6 or anything like that, but he believes that his vette is way faster than my TA.both are stock. what are my chances of running with him or beating him?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you'll run closer to him than he thought you could. it's all the same engine. he has a better intake/exhaust set up. here's more info: http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15608

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Go into detail about both cars a little more...are they sticks or autos...any mods? If your TA is a auto...do you have 3.23's? Gearing..weight...drivers...etc. mean just as much in a race as power, unless one car is completely out gunned by 200hp.

But like I said above, it's not all about power...but yea both cars have a ls1. Print this pic of a mag article and show him...the TA actually put more to the wheels than the vette. Your brother is just ignorant to the facts, hopefully he's not a ricer in domestic diguise and is at least willing to learn

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

can someone tell me what's the point of opening a vette's hood? wouldnt' that block air from getting in there?

black
    97 6-speed corvette

The vette has 350hp that year, but like stated above more details are needed, also the vette is 3246lbs. in the coupe version, lighter than the TA.

black
    97 6-speed corvette

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    can someone tell me what's the point of opening a vette's hood? wouldnt' that block air from getting in there?
    What do you mean?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    Air still goes into the inlets on the front, but having the hood open means the hot air doesn't bounce around in there, it just comes out the top. It's the same reason they open hoods on rear or midengined cars that have the radiators in the front (NSX's, MR2's, 911's, etc)

To answer the first question: The main reason for the "horsepower difference" between the 'Vette and T/A is due to chevy sandbagging the power numbers on the Z28s and T/A's. They couldn't have the camaro have the same numbers as the vette, could they . It's rumored though, that the WS6's and SS's will put down almost identicle numbers to the base model vette.

Also have to wonder if both of the cars had the same tranny. Comparing a stickshift T/A to an auto Vette may acount for 1 or 2 of those ponies...

Stock to stock, though, the vette will have the advantage because of suspension, weight, drivetrain (maybe) etc. Not the engine. On another note, having an auto on a stock or bolt on vette seems to be more detrimental to performance than on a T/A or camaro.
    Last edited by jimbo98z; 03-25-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

black
    97 6-speed corvette

Oh, the picture on the dyno.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Forget all this crap about a WS6/SS putting down more power on a dyno then a Vette, the Vette loses more hp because of the drivetrain loss. The Vette has a weight advantage over the your TA which helps and it also will plant the power better if both are stock. As far as him saying that it is "Way" faster.....that maybe a little far fetched. Depends on what he classifies as way faster. Stock for stock if he can drive he will beat you by a few lengths, only one way to find out though................

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Talking

Both cars are automatics and my TA have 323 gears.lid,k&n filter,and all the free mods,and a hooker muffler. The vette is stock, what gears it have is not known to me.But it is a automatic also.should have stated all of this up front but I was at work and time was short.

black
    97 6-speed corvette

The automatic version vette would have a 2.73 gear or if you ordered the "performanc axle" it would be a 3.15, which sucks.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Go into detail about both cars a little more...are they sticks or autos...any mods? If your TA is a auto...do you have 3.23's? Gearing..weight...drivers...etc. mean just as much in a race as power, unless one car is completely out gunned by 200hp.

But like I said above, it's not all about power...but yea both cars have a ls1. Print this pic of a mag article and show him...the TA actually put more to the wheels than the vette. Your brother is just ignorant to the facts, hopefully he's not a ricer in domestic diguise and is at least willing to learn
    Why in the Hell did GM shoot themselves in the foot by underrating the F-body? Must have been to appease the Corvette owners. I imagine they would have created a rucus if they found out that their EXACT same engine was powering the far cheaper F-body.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    Why in the Hell did GM shoot themselves in the foot by underrating the F-body? Must have been to appease the Corvette owners. I imagine they would have created a rucus if they found out that their EXACT same engine was powering the far cheaper F-body.
    I'd guess that the majority of corvette buyers are happy enough with it as an image car. The one who want power also know its a great deal, so they buy it as a building platform.

And remember, corvette's may have had the same powerplant, but the rest of the engineering and the lighter weight makes up the difference between the two.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Mystic Teal
    98' Formula

My 89' TTA was rated @ 250 HP because the Vette was 255 HP that year . The TTA was said to actually having 300 HP. Magazine Time slips proved that it was 300 .

Back to the original post , My slightly modded 98 Formula ( No Cats , K & N'ed , Opened air box , A4 w/3.73's ( stock was 2.73 ) barlely pulled my Dads 04 A4 2.73 Vette. Had he had either the exhaust work or the same gears he would have been doing the pulling.

Stock for Stock My vote is on your Bro's Vette . But later on do some mods and spank him and he will be forced to start the modding game himself. Its all good fun though , win or lose.

This just in : didn't notice your lower post stated your Free Mods and Such ( Cool ). You should be close enough to make him nervous or possibly win. Let us know how it goes .
    Last edited by 0to60n4.5; 03-30-2006 at 05:19 PM.
    If it doesn't require Premium fuel ,You got the wrong Model.
    89' TTA
    96' LT4 VETTE
    94' LT1 VETTE
    98' LS1 FORMULA
    97' TSI AWD TALON
    84' 357cid CAMARO
    79' 403cid Fuel Inj. SEVILLE
    ABOUT 6 OTHER DAILY DRIVERS
    http://webpages.charter.net/pmcmolson/HOMESPAGE3.htm

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem

Not exactly shooting themselves in the foot. You have to realize also that a number of insurance companies use the hp rating in factoring their rates. GM knew that higher rates price out alot of younger buyers, so that also factors into the underated numbers.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you raced him yet? I'm curious as to how you'll do. Slip out and buy a stall and some drag radials and you should kill him. Might be able to do it with just the drag radials. It's gonna be closer than he thinks. There's no better feeling than to walk a vette.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Exact same engine. The Vette has dual exhaust.

From everything I've read, the Vette's dyno slightly less on average due to the rotating mass of the heavy duty IRS.

I had a Z28 and a C5 at the same time. The Z28 was a very storng A4/2.73 car that ran 13.0's with just a lid and filter. The Vette was a stock M6 that ran 12.80's. Traps were 106 vs 110.

I used to let my friends drive one or the other and we would race.

It was pretty even up to about 70, and then the Vette started pulling. After 100 or so, it started to get ugly. It was well over 10 cars by 150. I guess better areodynamics and better gearing in the M6 came into play.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Keep the race short, and you'll do better. The Fbody launches better and the areodynamics are not an issue.

It should be very close in an 1/8 mile or so.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I taked to my brother today and we would have goned to the track but I have a lot of home repairs to do due to the katrina strom that came through.We have another brother that lives in Gulfport.Ms. about 122 miles from us I am talking to him about bringing one of his cars to run.He have a Monte carlo SS with a hot engine rated at 460 hp.This is the one that he will probaly bring.I also have a 77 Camaro rated at 425 hp. But my beef is not with him it's with the vette.WE both are going to try to shut his mouth once and for all.I could run him in the camaro but he called out the TA. I plan to have things set for next sunday if there is no rain. will keep you posted on how it came out.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 04-02-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Not exactly shooting themselves in the foot. You have to realize also that a number of insurance companies use the hp rating in factoring their rates. GM knew that higher rates price out alot of younger buyers, so that also factors into the underated numbers.
    Good point. Didn't help GM F-body sales though.

Thread Information