Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

what the hekk does that mean?

Ok so my cousin is out of town and i am on his account, I just really want to know what naturally aspirated means. It sucks because everyone is saying it and I have no clue. help me please.

03 Terminator

naturally aspirated means no forced induction is used, such as a turbo or supercharger. and if im thinking correctly, it might mean no nitrous also but im not 100% sure.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Agree with above, it just means that you are running on straight motor without power adders."blower,turbo"
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Silver
    2002 Z28

You can have a NA car that also has nitrous. Nitrous is different than a S/C or turbo it isnt adding any volume of air to the engine.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

some would argue that it is, because air is some 80% N and N2O is 67% N, so it kinda is,

i always thought of NA as using the current atmospheric pressure to power your car, nothing else, (SC, TURBO, NITRO)

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    some would argue that it is, because air is some 80% N and N2O is 67% N, so it kinda is,

i always thought of NA as using the current atmospheric pressure to power your car, nothing else, (SC, TURBO, NITRO)
    N/A is all motor

Silver
    2002 Z28

Well yea no one that has Nos would call it NA, but in all practical senses I think of a non NA car as either turboed or S/C

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

its aspiration is of the natural nature, or no help

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom
    You can have a NA car that also has nitrous. Nitrous is different than a S/C or turbo it isnt adding any volume of air to the engine.
    N2O, a.k.a. nitrous oxide. The nitrogen molecule N2 is a spectator atom when it goes through the engine. The oxygen atom is "peeled" off the N20 molecule, and is used to make more power by providing more oxygen to the engine. Oxygen, readily present in our atmosphere, is present in a certain concentration in the air we breathe.

By injecting nitrous oxide into the engine, you are in essence, providing more oxygen than is available in our atmosphere. So yes, it is a form of forced induction.

Blowers (turbos/superchargers) provide more oxygen to the engine by increasing "atmospheric pressure." Standard atmospheric pressure is denoted as one bar. I think atmospheric pressure at sea level is 7 psi, and every 7 psi is one bar of atmospheric pressure. An engine running 14 lbs of boost, has an additional 2 bars of pressure from what is "natural." Hence the term NATURAL ASPIRATION.

An engine running 14 lbs of boost has 3 times the amount of oxygen per cubic meter than a "naturally aspirated" engine. That is why it makes more power.

And NO, I didn't look anywhere else for this information, I am just a smart motherf*cker.

That is why some of it might be wrong.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Silver
    2002 SS

Internal combustion engines create a vacuum in the manifold because of the piston(s) drawing away from the head on the intake stroke (suction). This causes outside air to rush in to fill the vacuum and works better the lower in altitude you go because of atmospheric pressure.
    The carburetor works (with a venturi) by pulling gas out of the fuel bowl as this air rushes past to fill the void.
    That's natural aspiration.
    An engine with with a supercharger (exhaust or belt driven) reverses the atmospheric pressure inside the manifold from (vacuum) negative to (pressure) positive. This will force a compressed mixture into the cylinder on the intake stroke even before the compression stroke begins. This works in higher altitudes much better than natural aspiration (part of the success of the P-51 Mustang).
    That's un-natural aspiration so to speak.
    If you spray nitrous or anything else into the manifold you can do it under vacuum or under pressure it seems.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by warpwr
    Internal combustion engines create a vacuum in the manifold because of the piston(s) drawing away from the head on the intake stroke (suction). This causes outside air to rush in to fill the vacuum and works better the lower in altitude you go because of atmospheric pressure.
    The carburetor works (with a venturi) by pulling gas out of the fuel bowl as this air rushes past to fill the void.
    That's natural aspiration.
    An engine with with a supercharger (exhaust or belt driven) reverses the atmospheric pressure inside the manifold from (vacuum) negative to (pressure) positive. This will force a compressed mixture into the cylinder on the intake stroke even before the compression stroke begins. This works in higher altitudes much better than natural aspiration (part of the success of the P-51 Mustang).
    That's un-natural aspiration so to speak.
    If you spray nitrous or anything else into the manifold you can do it under vacuum or under pressure it seems.
    what he said lol

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by warpwr
    part of the success of the P-51 Mustang
    I didn't know the P-51 had a supercharger, learn something everyday. Too bad it's a Mustang!

Thread Information