Artic White
    2002 SS

What does detuned mean?

I have heard that the LS1 has been detuned compared to the corvette's LS1? Does that mean I need to go get it tuned by a performance shop or does it mean the engine has been choked down or able to breath less. Excuse the stupidity but some of us are a bag of hammers for lack of a better term.

Black
    1998 Z/28

some1 lied to u, the ls1 in the corvette is the same as in the camaros/TA's of the same year.
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

While the basic engine (LS1 not the LS6) is the same for both F and Y bodies, the calibration for the PCM's are slightly different. As well, the Vette has a free flowing exhaust (header type manifolds and large diameter dual exhaust pipe) whereas the F body has a more restrictive exhaust (cast iron manifolds, smaller diameter exhaust and single pipe). Also the intake tract is larger for the Corvette. This is why they show different HP and Torque levels. I changed the exhaust on my car to LT's w/ cutout and changed the airbox out for a Volant and recorded 343hp at the wheels.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

The engines are the same but the options on the engines are different. For example I don't know the bellows. They are more restrictive on the LS1 F-body than on the Vette. The reason for this is why would anyone buy a $50,000 car that a $30000 would be neck and neck with. That's why don't compromise but modify.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

GM dumbed down the Camaro's horespower with a more restictive air intake, and a more restricted exhaust, also the heads and cam are different between the LS6 and LS1.

SteveC

Ratdaddy07
    I was also told a long time ago that if you check your plugs( and this may just be poor workmenship from GM can't believe it was on purpose) on a new F-body 9 out of ten will be mis-gapped. My car was two months old and sure enough 6 of the 8 where mis-gapped. So was it on purpose I doubt it, but things like that add to the conspiracy theory I guess.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

A LS1 is a LS1...GM underrated the f-bods on paper to make their flagship vette look better.

Yes the vette has true duals from the factory but it also has a independant rear which chews up ponies...that's why a vette and a f-bod will dyno around the same depending on options.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    While the basic engine (LS1 not the LS6) is the same for both F and Y bodies, the calibration for the PCM's are slightly different. As well, the Vette has a free flowing exhaust (header type manifolds and large diameter dual exhaust pipe) whereas the F body has a more restrictive exhaust (cast iron manifolds, smaller diameter exhaust and single pipe). Also the intake tract is larger for the Corvette. This is why they show different HP and Torque levels. I changed the exhaust on my car to LT's w/ cutout and changed the airbox out for a Volant and recorded 343hp at the wheels.
    Glad to see that there are other 50 year olders on the board that enjoys the LS1 cars.I felt all along.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Total BS. The LS1 F-body is not "detuned" in any way. ALL LS1s will make roughly the same HP irregardless of the tiny differences of the Vette's cam from 1997-2000 (which also went into some late 1998 F-bodys). Despite the Vette's better exhaust/intake, they will often dyno the same or lower than a comparable F-body due to drivetrain losses. You won't need a tune until you get some serious mods...

Thread Information