What do you think?

ok i did search and yes i know its my first post
    but i wanna know waht you guys would think in here. I have an '86 supra (yes i know its foreign) but i want to put an LS1 into it. Its like what some of the 240 guys do. But i was just wondering if it is possible. Its really only a project car thats mostly going to be run out at the track.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Sound expensive but fun. Why not buy a Supra engine and put a big ole turbo on it? That seems like what most do even if the Supra is originally a TT. Just my 2 cents.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Y not do a lexus 4.0L... Its a V8 and Toyota...

BTW LS1's have been stuck in them... Right now a local guy is putting a 5.3L into a forcus and cunverting it to RWD... So you can stick an LS1 in a supra...

-me

That is true.... but to do that i would need to buy a $3000 front clip for a 2JZ yet it would require the same amount of work to put that engine in it as to put the LS1 in it. And i get the benefit of having 2 more cylinders and if i can i would build it for nitrous. Because this is going to be strickly a track car. I am also wondering if anyone else has done this. Other then into 240s.

And predator i believe that the LS1 has a bigger displacement then the 4.0L and for that there is no replacement for displacement
    Last edited by MOOCH; 02-14-2009 at 03:02 PM.

White
    00 z28

I've seen many supras with 800 hp plus and I hope you are going to be throw g a turbo in I because a supra is not a supra without a big spoiling turbo

hugger orange

ive seen a few done before. you can do it with some work and Summit racing and others have lots of goodies to help you with the swap, if you can, get a 99+ computer for the car and save up for hptuners software package. i love the idea and wish you luck man and keep us posted!

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

You can row a 454 in a Yugo too but is it worth it? If it's not a common swap lke a 350 into an S10 or like into the 240's, you're really going to have a shit load of work in front of you.

Just because you will gain two more cylinders does not mean more HP. Look at the GN's

The old adage "There’s no replacement for displacement" doesn't stand anymore with forced induction.

I've seen a single turbo'd (6 cylinder) Supra rape a low 10 second LS1 F-bodies.

A Supra is a fantastic platform to start with and unless you already have a built LS1 sitting around, I would go the Toyota route and save yourself a lot of $$$ and headaches.

If you do go the LS1 route, you can save yourself a lot of money is you learn how to weld and fabricate on your own. You can buy a small mig at Home Depot and save yourself a ton of money doing the swap and down the road if you can do your own welding. Tuning is another art they you may want to peek into as well.

Another thought, a 2JZ isn't the only way to build a screaming Supra.

Just my 2¢

Quote Originally Posted by driftpin View Post
    You can row a 454 in a Yugo too but is it worth it? If it's not a common swap lke a 350 into an S10 or like into the 240's, you're really going to have a shit load of work in front of you.

Just because you will gain two more cylinders does not mean more HP. Look at the GN's

The old adage "There’s no replacement for displacement" doesn't stand anymore with forced induction.

I've seen a single turbo'd (6 cylinder) Supra rape a low 10 second LS1 F-bodies.

A Supra is a fantastic platform to start with and unless you already have a built LS1 sitting around, I would go the Toyota route and save yourself a lot of $$$ and headaches.

If you do go the LS1 route, you can save yourself a lot of money is you learn how to weld and fabricate on your own. You can buy a small mig at Home Depot and save yourself a ton of money doing the swap and down the road if you can do your own welding. Tuning is another art they you may want to peek into as well.

Just my 2¢

great point
    I was just wondering what you guys would think.
    I thought that you guys would enjoy seeing one. And dont worry I am no where near making a decision on what i am going to do with it.
    I guess its time for more research thanks guys.

I think it's very possible to do

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by driftpin View Post

Just my 2¢
    I have and highly recomend the Hobart 150 handler MIG. if you get a MIG, get a bottle, gasless MIGs just don't work as well for automotive applications

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I have and highly recomend the Hobart 150 handler MIG. if you get a MIG, get a bottle, gasless MIGs just don't work as well for automotive applications
    Actually as long as you prepare your surfaces right, fluxcore wire works just as well as solid wire with argon/co2. The end result with the solid wire though is a prettier weld. If you have to weld outdoors in even a light breeze or indoors where it is drafty, fluxcore is the only way to go. The wind plays havoc with your gas.

Thread Information