Question What to do... what to do... should I fix 'er up, or sell?

Hey guys,

I have a 1998 6-speed Formula Firebird and I'm looking for a little advice.

I've owned the car from day 1, and I've put almost 126,000 miles on it. I recently bought a new car for taking long trips (2007 Toyota Rav4) and planned on fixing up the ol' bird. The thing is... I drove my Formula the other day and realized that there is quite a lot of fixing to do. It still runs, but within the last year little things started to go and I didn't bother fixing them. Now it seems like there is a just a mountain of stuff to tackle. I'm torn between investing the time and money, or just cutting my losses and selling my fun car.

Here is a list of things that need to be fixed:

New Clutch (still on the original... and it is making a hell of a lot of noise)
    Transmission needs rebuilding (most of the synchros are shot, and I'm sure there is other stuff that needs replacing)
    Power Steering (there is a leak somewhere... recently replaced the power steering hose and pump, so it is most likely coming from somewhere else)
    The power window motor on the passenger side is dead
    The power antenna motor is dead (stuck in the up position)
    The factory speakers need to be replaced
    The dash pad needs to be replaced (cracked to hell... thanks to the Florida sun)
    One of the dash vents needs to be replaced (couple of cracked ribs)
    Steering wheel radio control has a light out (not a big deal and easy to fix)
    The fuel gauge stopped working (apparently the fuel sender unit is broken)
    Plastic ring around shift boot is in pieces (pretty common)

I also got into a fender bender a few months ago and need to replace the following:

Both the bumper cover and driver's side fender need to be replaced.
    There is a slight dent in the hood, but I still might need to replace it.
    Driver's side headlight cover needs to be replaced (luckily the headlight itself seems to still be operational after I realigned it a little)
    The fog light on the drivers side got smashed and needs to be replaced.
    There was also some sort of canister on the driver's side that had star shaped filters in it (CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS?) that got smashed and needs to be replaced.
    The car will then need to be repainted (many little dings and scratches everywhere), hopefully it's not hard to find the blue-green chameleon paint (the original color).

And finally... it needs a new set of tires.

I can do just about all the work myself... I'm an engineer and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I recently replaced the alternator, power steering pump and hose, and the radiator. I replaced the water pump at around 70,000 miles, and had a buddy of mine change out a leaky A/C compressor at around 90,000 miles. The only thing I would want someone else to do from the above list is the paint... I've never done any type of auto paint before and really would want it to be done right. For that matter I've never rebuilt a transmission before, but after seeing many write-ups on doing the procedure I'm convinced it wouldn't be too difficult for me to do.

Of course all this stuff takes time and money... I haven't really started to research how much all this would cost in parts, but I'm starting to think I may be better off letting someone else take care of it. I love my car... it was the first new car I ever bought, and it is a blast to drive (as all of you know).

So... is it worth fixing all this stuff, or should I sell it, move on, and possibly look into a new "fun" car?

Any input is appreciated.

Nick

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

keep it...

if your married you will need a reason to be out in the garage to escape the horrible wrath of your woman. fix it up slowly so as to allow you more 'personal' time/space from the the devil herself...

that's my plan anyways w/the SS once i get married...

i mean there is 'something' that will always need to be 'fixed'...right...?
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Keep it just for the fact you bought it new and know the complete history.
    Buy a good T-56 and push yours down the road on Ebay.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information