Black
    2001 Camaro SS

what to do with my stock SS?

What's goin' on everyone

So here is my problem, I have owned my 2001 Camaro SS for 7 years now, but with me being in the military and having been over seas stationed in Italy for the past 5 years i haven't had time to do anything to my Camaro. My time in Italy is up and i am now going to get to go home back to my Camaro.

My question is..... The first upgrade that i want to do is install a Texas Speed 228R Cam. What i wanna know is.... do i need to upgrade anything else before i upgrade the Camshaft? and if so what do i need to do? Everything in my Camaro is Stock minus the Muffler, i have Flowmasters but that is it.... has no headers or full cat back exhaust just the Flowmasters muffler.

Please anyone with experience help me i am new to the upgrading of the Camaro and want yalls expertise

Thanks

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Why a cam first?

What's your goals?

How much money do you have for mods?
    Last edited by KMdef9; 02-08-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

The only reason i thought of Cams first, was because a friend of mine recommended that I install some Cams into my Camaro.

My goals are anywhere in between 450-480 HP (my real goal is to compete with my friends '03 Cobra)

and my budget is $10000
    SKY SOLDIERS

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

wowzers .........there is only 1 cam in our engines. 2. you can go cam only but you should really do it the right way and do the supporting mods. 3. personally i would keep her stock..not a lot of stock maros anymore..and if you can sit on it for 5-10+ years..come time to sell it..you might be very pleasantly surprised

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

i know there is only one cam i dont know why i said Cams but thanks for the head up. lol. and i have thought about keeping it stock but my buddy set me straight and reminded me that my camaro has already been in an accident so the value has already gone way down.

Now my '87 IROC-Z i plan on keeping Stock. i love that car
    Last edited by camaro_sniper; 02-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could go with a set of 243 heads and an LS6 intake manifold. Or go with a FAST manifold and larger throttlebody. There are so many options for head and intake upgrades for the LSX. Call Texas Speed and ask them what they offer that will make ya happy with your ride.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Shady's right on a couple of things but if you want to mod then...

This is board brush on the subject but it will get you thinking. Research, research, and ask lots of questions prior to buying. Make a build sheet. It helps.

1) Suspension 1st, High HP means dick if you can't put it to the wheels
    2) 9" or 12 bolt rear 2nd - this is our cars greatest weakness. The power range you want will snap it like a dried out twig.
    3) A4 new Stall match to the cam and heads that you install later, M6 Send the tranny to Tick Performance for some much need upgrades, then install at min. LS7 Clutch Kit or go big with a Monster or SPEC clutch kits
    4) Engine Dept - You may already have the LS6 Block (if your Lucky) and may have the LS6 Intake, if not get them. Heads and Cam are one of those things that you need to decide if you want track only or still have some manners to be able to drive it on the street. Intakes LS6 is really good, but a FAST 90 is a little Better. Stay with your Stock MAF. After market, you need a degree in Voodoo to make it relabel and not worth the $$. Tuning. New Airlid, as simple as a SLP Air Lid looks, it works. Of course LT headers, ORY, and Muffler (Flowmasters = Rust)

SLP products only 2 things they have made that are worth a damn - Air Lid and Line Lock Kit.

03 Cobras aka Terminators are no joke, IMHO its the only Cobra I would not want to race (at present moment, till I finish my build). They are the one yr that the Car Gods blessed Ford with a good quality Cobra and then Ford went and screwed it up after that.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-08-2011 at 08:18 AM.

SFC's, Good shocks and springs, better swaybays front and rear. Do you want it to handle or go in a straight line ?

Lid, LT's, open up the exhaust.

Then spray that Cobra with a tuned 150 shot and still have normal drivability and gas milage.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

thanks for the advise SMWS6TA i will be doing a lot of research.

and Danger731 i never really thought about nitrous thanks for the idea.

98' trans am

With 10k in the budget..go fi if you want. Or buy a stroker long block what is left..put into supporting mods. Are you a m6 or a4

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Wow, 10K.

I'd: FULL suspension, rear end, heads, streetable cam, fast 102mm intake w/throttle body, full exhaust and obviously a tune. That should about piss away 10k and you'll have a solid machine. Just need a better clutch and you could really beat the shit piss out of her.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wow, 10K.

I'd: FULL suspension, rear end, heads, streetable cam, fast 102mm intake w/throttle body, full exhaust and obviously a tune. That should about piss away 10k and you'll have a solid machine. Just need a better clutch and you could really beat the shit piss out of her.
    Full suspension/chassis will eat up 4 to 5k alone. Throw in quality exhuast and you will only have 3k left

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

10k? sell the car and get a c5z06
    There are a lot of routes to go, so much I would suggest you read the internal section, Forced induction section, and drivetrain section to see what people are doing to get the hp and how they handle all of it. It's better to see what people have done and see who's setups you like the best for yourself rather than one of us tell you get a p1sc.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Full suspension/chassis will eat up 4 to 5k alone. Throw in quality exhuast and you will only have 3k left
    Didn't calc konis in. Was thinking more chassis components, about 3k with UMI stuff.

But none the less, the route I'd take.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks guys.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

screw suspension/chassis first. Well....except for subframe connectors. But after that, build the motor, do a full exhaust, and replace the rearend. Then see how it runs and piece together suspension mods to suit your power level and driving style. And you'll probablly need a nice clutch at some point also.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    screw suspension/chassis first
    No screw you cutlass
    I personally really enjoy my car with the upgrade suspension I think probly more than the motor work I've done.

I would even question the sub frame connectors. depending on how you drive you may not even need them. Strano and I agree on that subject. Fyi I have sfc on.

Thread Information