Thread: What to do....

red black
    98Z28

What to do....

Ok, car has measly 322,000 miles and transmission is now blowing fluid from the vent. Guess it needs rebuilding ar replaced ?
    Woke up this morning to find fuel pump has quit.Should I replace with Walbro or Racetronix pump? To save labor would do both at once or should I cut my losses?

Car was still running great, getting an average of 23 mpg local driving and still getting 25 to 26 on highway. A rebuild and pump change is going to be around 1,700 dollars. What would you do?

This is the 98Z28.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you have the time, patience and tools, go for it yourself. Drop the exhaust, tank and trans and install the new pump and if you don't trust yourself with the trans, you could send it out for a rebuild and cut labor costs. Plus it'll be a learning experience.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 89RS&98Z28 View Post
    Ok, car has measly 322,000 miles and transmission is now blowing fluid from the vent. Guess it needs rebuilding ar replaced ?
    Woke up this morning to find fuel pump has quit.Should I replace with Walbro or Racetronix pump? To save labor would do both at once or should I cut my losses?

Car was still running great, getting an average of 23 mpg local driving and still getting 25 to 26 on highway. A rebuild and pump change is going to be around 1,700 dollars. What would you do?

This is the 98Z28.
    I second the idea of doing it yourself if able, I do all the work on mine and really enjoy it. Racetronix uses walboro pumps in their kits, this should be what you need for a 98 car.

Racetronix - F98 Fuel Pump Kit - Kit Configuration Page

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have the bone stock transmission and torque converter out of our '02 setting on the floor in my lower garage... has right around 72,500 on them and were pulled to upgrade to a Performabuilt and a 3,200 stall converter. Just sayin...

The Racetronix setup is plug and play. I just swapped out our pump a few months ago. My understanding is that it utilizes a Walbro pump in the kit.

That's ALOT of miles. I would look at it from a long term point of view. If you plan to keep the car knowing that more money in the future will be needed and you don't mind that, then by all means I'd fix what you have.

If another major repair in the future (like an engine) is going to kill the whole deal then I might be hesitant to stick money in it at this point.

Personally I've always been a fan of repairing the older cars and keeping them on the road. In the long run (for me) it's cheaper than forking over $500 a month for a car payment plus all the other expenses newer cars bring (tags and insurance go up of course). So the thought of an engine or trans rebuild doesn't scare me off.
    I also like the fact that after you've had a car for a while, performed alot of repairs and replaced alot of items, you know exactly what you have. Replacing it with another used car is like starting the process all over again with alot of unknowns. So my vote naturally is to fix and keep what you have.

Thread Information