Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Unhappy What can be done to improve ride of my TA?

I just got back from Cruise on the coast in Gulfport Ms. where my brother lives, we saw over 3000 hotrods of all makes and models cruising down the many streets of the gulf coast, I decided to drive my TA and give it some highway time, it was about 400 miles round trip, it haven't been that far in about ten years.I hated just about every mile of it, I had forgotten just how harsh a ride these cars give. I put 30 psi in the tires and did the normal checks before leaving. every bump or hump was felt the car rattled so I felt like trading it off at one of the dealer ships coming back. The only thing that kept me from doing it is they were close at the time I left for home. the car have 40,000 miles on it and is well taken care of and looks good but there has to be something I can do to make the ride a lot better. What can I do, need help .
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 10-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Any suspension mods or stock? Stock wheels/tires? If stock, that's about the best you'd get. You could try sound deadening to make the car "feel" a bit better put together since it'll take away a lot of road noise/etc. Drove a T/A that had dynomat covering every metal surface underneath the carpets/dash ... felt a million times better cos it felt so solid and not like a tin can.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I just got back from Cruise on the coast in Gulfport Ms. where my brother lives, we saw over 3000 hotrods of all makes and models cruising down the many streets of the gulf coast, I decided to drive my TA and give it some highway time, it was about 400 miles round trip, it haven't been that far in about ten years.I hated just about every mile of it, I had forgotten just how harsh a ride these cars give. I put 30 psi in the tires and did the normal checks before leaving. every bump or hump was felt the car rattled so I felt like trading it off at one of the dealer ships coming back. The only thing that kept me from doing it is they were close at the time I left for home. the car have 40,000 miles on it and is well taken care of and looks good but there has to be something I can do to make the ride a lot better. What can I do, need help .
    No mods other than 17 inch wheels and tires.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

No mods other than 17 inch wheels and tires.
    what size tires are you running...? thin sidewalls make it a little worse...i've owned 4 Fbody's now and not one of them was what I would call a "smooth" ride lol

with that said...when you get on them, they like to hunker down to the road and go...which is why I dont mind the rough ride
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 10-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Some bilstein shocks and a look over all your suspension bushings goes a long way with these cars.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Some bilstein shocks and a look over all your suspension bushings goes a long way with these cars.
    This. And some new spring perches.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I had planed to spend about $6,000 on headers, tune and what ever else performance wise I could get for that amount.I had no plans of doing ride control.I may be taking the $6,000 and sale it and get me something that have a better ride.When I was younger 14 years ago the ride was not such a problem but now that I am older it's not what I can deal with.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

I had planed to spend about $6,000 on headers, tune and what ever else performance wise I could get for that amount.I had no plans of doing ride control.I may be taking the $6,000 and sale it and get me something that have a better ride.When I was younger 14 years ago the ride was not such a problem but now that I am older it's not what I can deal with.
    Ultimately it's your choice to keep the car or not. But instead of a knee jerk reaction like getting rid of it, try heeding the advice of a couple previous posters. The ride was not good on these cars from the factory because honestly the shocks were horrible and cheap. I would second a new set of shocks such as the Bilsteins or Koni just released the STR.T series for our cars, the will cost about the same and go a long way toward a better ride. Even though you only have 40K on the car, the bushings are over a decade old and rubber does tend to rot. Something to think about before getting rid of a nice ride.

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I might try getting new shocks and check the bushens and see how that works. I love the car but I just want it to ride a little better than it does. I'll be trying the shocks and work my way around the car and see how it rides. where can I find the shocks and whatever else I my be needing?

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

I would call Sam Strano. He would be the best person to point you in the right direction to get what you need.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

First off I don't feel any of these cars were ment for everyday life they were built for performance fun and the ride and noise are all apart of the experience..with that said start with the suspension and work your way back to motor& exhaust etc.. H.P. is no good with out the right suspension, I went the other way and finding out suspension is just as much a player in having a fast car than anything. $6g's should get the job done with everything, there are a ton of aftermarket parts for these cars just read back through old posts and stickies and see what works for others.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Also, subframe connectors really tighten up these cars.

Here the only issue I need to re-iterate ... I know everyone's telling you to upgrade, and overhaul your suspension, that's fine. However just like people have also said, its not built to have a lexus like ride ... its a sports/muscle car. Suspension upgrades will get you a much controlled but "firm" ride, Chassis upgrades will firm up the body and help with frame twist/etc. But again, you're looking for a Grand Touring car sort of ride, you'll probably not get it .
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 10-12-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Decadence75 View Post
    I would call Sam Strano. He would be the best person to point you in the right direction to get what you need.
    Good advice. He knows his shit and won't sell you anything you don't need. That's why he's so respected in the car scene.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

These are "performance" vehicles, I felt that the stock setup was too soft (I am 65 years old), I replaced a lot of the stock suspension parts with BMR products with poly bushings. Coupled with the sub frame connectors, I am finally getting the ride handling that GM should have done in the first place.

If you want a "softer" ride, try the Kia "Cradensa" or whatever the h*$l they call it.

SteveC

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Buy a 5th Gen
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    These are "performance" vehicles, I felt that the stock setup was too soft (I am 65 years old), I replaced a lot of the stock suspension parts with BMR products with poly bushings. Coupled with the sub frame connectors, I am finally getting the ride handling that GM should have done in the first place.

If you want a "softer" ride, try the Kia "Cradensa" or whatever the h*$l they call it.

SteveC
    There are plenty of setups for a 4th gen f-body that will give it modern comfort plus great handling. The line of thinking that it's a sports car so deal with it is antiquated and just wrong.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

A car owner should always be mindful of failure. It's a part of life. Every car has its issues which can be resolved. But that's my thinking.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

There are plenty of setups for a 4th gen f-body that will give it modern comfort plus great handling. The line of thinking that it's a sports car so deal with it is antiquated and just wrong.
    A matter of opinion, if you keep the stock rubber bushings, hollowed out undersized stock sway bars (end links), and the stock stamped out suspension parts (i.e. torque arm, lca's, panard bar) and factor in "no unibody" construction, you can never achieve a well handling vehicle.

JMHO

SteveC

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    A matter of opinion, if you keep the stock rubber bushings, hollowed out undersized stock sway bars (end links), and the stock stamped out suspension parts (i.e. torque arm, lca's, panard bar) and factor in "no unibody" construction, you can never achieve a well handling vehicle.

JMHO

SteveC
    No, not opinion. Call Sam Strano. He will be able to set your car up however you want it to ride. If you want to talk stock parts, sure it will be a crap ride. It was not designed to ride well. But saying that a good ride is a matter of opinion only is just wrong as this chassis can be made to ride just as good as anything else out there.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

No, not opinion. Call Sam Strano. He will be able to set your car up however you want it to ride. If you want to talk stock parts, sure it will be a crap ride. It was not designed to ride well. But saying that a good ride is a matter of opinion only is just wrong as this chassis can be made to ride just as good as anything else out there.
    We finally agree, no one is "wrong" except for YOU telling someone they are wrong, what is good for one, may not be for the other.

Set up your vehicle the way YOU want to, and I will setup MY vehicle the way I want to (without the help of Mr. Strano, whoever he is).

SteveC

Thread Information