Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

What is the best non-synthetic posi-greese???

After suffering with three different torsen posi units failing with the infamous slow coast noise, I changed to an Eaton posi with clutches. I put synthetic posi oil in it with the GM
    additive. It turns out that this is a big mistake as the clutches tend to squall and make noise. Eaton tech support has told me to get the synthetic out and put only conventional oil in it with the GM additive.

Now for the question. What is the best conventional posi oil to use? Anybody got any information on this? Sarge, you got anything???

...>>Sam

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah.....been through this before.....I run Torco conventional with the Ford friction modifier in it.....yes the Ford and not the GM.....You want the type F additive.
    http://www.torcoracingoils.com/produ...5-cb92901bda83
    http://www.torcoracingoils.com/produ...1-2a23959bab02

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah.....been through this before.....I run Torco conventional with the Ford friction modifier in it.....yes the Ford and not the GM.....You want the type F additive.
    http://www.torcoracingoils.com/produ...5-cb92901bda83
    http://www.torcoracingoils.com/produ...1-2a23959bab02

Sarge - Ok I have them both on order but was curious as to why the F additive rather than the G additive? Also, why the torco over others? I went ahead and ordered because when you tell me something is good I trust your recommendations.

...>>Sam

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well now I dont take making recommendations lightly. Once again I base my gear lube on UOA's of many brands. Oxidation is a major factor as is shearing. Torco comes out on top even when compared to Synthetics.....my rank of gear lubes goes something like this....
    1. Amsoil Synthetic
    2. Mobil1 Synthetic
    3. Torco conventional

Royal Purple did really bad with shearing and oxidation in the most previous test.
    The F friction modifier from Torco is for Fords and has a formula more suited for our GM rear ends than the G formula that is made for lil bitty grocery getter rear ends.
    Here is the latest data ( By Amsoil) but done within SAE specs so I give it unbiased credibility.... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf
    They didnt test Torco that I am recommending But I base my recommendation on my own UOA's versus Amsoil and Royal Purple in the GTO. Also on the results of recommending Torco conventional to my gearhead buddies who saw marked improvement over Amsoil and Royal Purple in their rides.....so it is very good stuff for sure.

Black
    1998 Trans am

How is the Lucas rear end lube?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Total liquid garbage.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Amsoil....i don't like the Mobil 1 gear oil anymore.I used it and had carrier bearing troubles everytime.I used the redline too but in tests most ALL motorheads preferred Amsoil 2 to 1 over any other gear oil.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-SS View Post
    After suffering with three different torsen posi units failing with the infamous slow coast noise, I changed to an Eaton posi with clutches. I put synthetic posi oil in it with the GM
    additive. It turns out that this is a big mistake as the clutches tend to squall and make noise. Eaton tech support has told me to get the synthetic out and put only conventional oil in it with the GM additive.

Now for the question. What is the best conventional posi oil to use? Anybody got any information on this? Sarge, you got anything???

...>>Sam
    I hate to break this to you but there is NO oil that will stop that noise from coming back.....ask me how i know.......

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well now Rivi I don't know about that friend I have seen em STFU and get quiet after changing to the Torco and F friction modifier. Word up I think I know where your going with this ....the mechanical design wont allow total quiet and I agree....but the Torco RGO has outstanding film strength and it does buffer those metal to metal "noises" under load....lets see what ol Sam-SS experiences.
    With Royal Purple I had a tiny amount of chatter....with Torco I got no noise whatsoever....just two wheel smoking burnouts......so lets see .....Sam...your up pal
    And another thing....you guys dont need to do all these smoking figure 8's to introduce the new mix to the metal surfaces anymore...that is bullshit....just refill with the proper FM/Lube mix and drive normal....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

All this talk about gear lube....I changed mine this morning.....in the GTO...yes...Torco RGO and 4oz F friciton modifier....but I bought this lil tool from Amsoil about a year ago....fits every damn bottle of anything I have ever bought.....its the balls as the kids would say......
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2039.aspx

98 Formula
    06 duramax

All this talk about gear lube....I changed mine this morning.....in the GTO...yes...Torco RGO and 4oz F friciton modifier....but I bought this lil tool from Amsoil about a year ago....fits every damn bottle of anything I have ever bought.....its the balls as the kids would say......
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2039.aspx
    so is the pump worth a crap? I would pay twice what they're asking if it actually pumps. The panhard bar on the f-bodies makes it a pain in the ass to change out that fluid. I have a system to get the fluid in there but a nice pump would definitely come in handy.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

I tried every trick i know and couldn't stop the noise.Even brand new the torsen is noisey,i found amsoil 75-90 severe gear made it the quietest.I tried every good gear oil i could find,Torco i never could find other than online.But honestly the noise has never caused any wear,just so luod at times you would think it was broken in some way.One big mistake i made was replacing the torsen with a Auburn,the Auburn is junk IMO.It was out of balance! and the rear shook at anything above 45 mph.It also ruined the oil so fast i was changing it every 1000 miles,also ruined the handling in the turns.after 2k miles of that bs I PUT THE TORSEN BACK IN!

Sam grab some of that Torco and test it!
    Last edited by Rivi; 10-14-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    so is the pump worth a crap? I would pay twice what they're asking if it actually pumps. The panhard bar on the f-bodies makes it a pain in the ass to change out that fluid. I have a system to get the fluid in there but a nice pump would definitely come in handy.
    I use a square motor oil bottle to put the oil in the rear...works nice.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    That pump is for putting it in...I use a lil cheap marine pump to pump it out.... http://www.marine-products.com/engin...little_pal.jsp

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    I tried every trick i know and couldn't stop the noise.Even brand new the torsen is noisey,i found amsoil 75-90 severe gear made it the quietest.I tried every good gear oil i could find,Torco i never could find other than online.But honestly the noise has never caused any wear,just so luod at times you would think it was broken in some way.One big mistake i made was replacing the torsen with a Auburn,the Auburn is junk IMO.It was out of balance! and the rear shook at anything above 45 mph.It also ruined the oil so fast i was changing it every 1000 miles,also ruined the handling in the turns.after 2k miles of that bs I PUT THE TORSEN BACK IN!

Hey Rivi sounds like you had more than lube issues!

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Yeah auburn needs to balance their carriers and use better materials so the cones don't eat the housing like a pac man game.

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post

I had studied all of the available posi-track units available for axle units and settled on the Eaton as the
    best choice. I had seen stuff on the Auburn that you describe. The Eaton has worked well, except that I
    mistakenly put synthetic in it causing the clutches
    to squall when making slow, tight turns. It is quiet
    otherwise.

I do have the Torco grease on order along with the "F" type Torco additive that Sarge mentioned. We will see how it works out.

When I have the cover off of the housing, I will be putting some ruggdedizing components back in like using shims rather than crush washer. I have a much stronger cross pin and will be welding the axle tube joints to the flanges. Lastly, a much stronger cast aluminum cover with links, to the axle ends, to stiffen things.

...>>Sam

98 Formula
    06 duramax

That pump is for putting it in...I use a lil cheap marine pump to pump it out.... http://www.marine-products.com/engin...little_pal.jsp
    Yeah, I knew it was for putting the fluid in. I have a drain plug on mine to get it out. Getting the new stuff in is what's a pain in the ass.

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Well now Rivi I don't know about that friend I have seen em STFU and get quiet after changing to the Torco and F friction modifier. Word up I think I know where your going with this ....the mechanical design wont allow total quiet and I agree....but the Torco RGO has outstanding film strength and it does buffer those metal to metal "noises" under load....lets see what ol Sam-SS experiences.
    With Royal Purple I had a tiny amount of chatter....with Torco I got no noise whatsoever....just two wheel smoking burnouts......so lets see .....Sam...your up pal
    And another thing....you guys dont need to do all these smoking figure 8's to introduce the new mix to the metal surfaces anymore...that is bullshit....just refill with the proper FM/Lube mix and drive normal....

Ole Sam is sitting here still awaiting my grease to arrive.
    I am in the process of trying to find a qualified shop who will do my job without me having to dip into my retirement fund. Some of the prices that I have gotten are real shockers. Anyway, I will report back on how well the Torco works for me.

...>>Sam

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I changed out the rear end lube in the GTO Sunday morning....Torco....walk in the park and I'm an old man with ribs still healing from multiple fractures Easy to do Sam....

Thread Information