white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Weird power related issues?

I'm having some funkyness with my trans am. I recently purchased it, and the following was done to it: new power window motor drivers side door, HID low beams installed, and a new headunit for the radio (kenwood). Everything else as best as I can tell is stock.

Now I'm having several power related issues that seem a bit funky, but my meter reads 13-14 no problem.

Radio wise, if I crank the volume up, it eventually seems to lower itself eventually... I'm not sure if this is a radio feature or what, but it sounds like it.... i'll be driving and all of a sudden its lower.. no worries, i'll deal with that later, but maybe it's somehow related.

If I turn the headlights on or off while the radio is on you get a bit of a pop in the radio...

With the headlights on, if I turn on the turn signal, the lights flicker a bit (the hids at least). the meter drops to around 11 then back to 13 or 14 with each pulse of the turn signal when those lights are on, bit less without them on.) Even the dash lights flicker a bit when i have the blinker on. I think the HIDs draw a bit too much maybe? not sure.)

Now the strange part. The power windows. Like i said, new motor done in drivers side. Both doors roll up VERY VERY slowly. When it reaches the top where it's starting to seal its barely moving. I worry it's going to die on me one day.

And then the STRANGEST part. I pulled in my driveway, shut the lights off, turned the car off, and opened the door but realized I left my window open. Hit the key to accessory and started to roll the window up.. it was agonozingly slow and then slowed down to a crawl like when a battery is dying in a device, then stopped completely... as I did that and was still holding the button to roll the window up, the radio and lights in the car cut off completely. It then came back on and the dome light came back on when I let go of the button for the window. After I let go I smelled electrical burning, like when an electrical motor is burning up. Worried about my window rolling up, I started the car (it started right up no problems) and then it rolled up at its normal slow speed, but without issue.

I had a load test done against the battery and it came back fine. Alternator seems fine as well as best as I can tell. Car always cranks and starts without any issue, no hesitation at all, so it's got more than enough juice to crank. Yet the windows are always slow, and the above weirdness happens.

Where the heck do I even begin?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be a loose or corroded ground connection. I would also take a look at the BCM as a possible culprit: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144674

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

I was thinking it may be grounds too, but BCM is not something I thought of. The fact it doesn't do it during the engine running makes me wonder if it's the BCM though. Still a bit slow, but its steady and always moves (the window.)

I'll be the first to admit I'm not sure if my symptoms fully match the symptoms of a problem with the BCM solder. This is my first fourth gen. I was a 3rd gen guy until recently, so I'm feeling like a noob here.

That said, that how to is very well written and clear. Can't hurt to try it anyway unless I burn the board or solder something wrong. :P
    Last edited by bezerker03; 11-08-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: adding in props to the howto :)

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The power window wiring is notoriously undersized for the load. One of our sponsors makes a kit that remedies this issue.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Which Sponser has the kit ?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by redss70396 View Post
    Which Sponser has the kit ?

Autotrix

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks

Thread Information