Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Weight Reduction

I know I'm going to get burnt for posting this but I've been giving it serious thought. I know everybody is going to say just get a shot of nitrous but I'm deffinately not going to.

Here is my thoughts, I have a ws6 convertible its a street car a weekend cruiser not for the track... as of very soon I'm not going to be allowed on the track anymore until I get a roll bar which I doubt will EVER happen. So heres the thing I'm looking to retain all the comfort and drivability of a stock car but I want to get as much speed and power out of it as possible.

I'm about to do heads/cam/clutch and when the funds arrive possibly even rear-end. I will not do nitrous and I'm thinking I'm never going with FI.

So what options do I have left? Well I just recentely came across a guy with a Corvette... ok Z06 C5 stock so after my heads/cam I want to have over 50 rwhp on him... however he will still be able to compete fairly well against me... why? because he has 400lbs less weight well this sucks if after all that work and mods I'm still losing to lightly modded z06's because their ligher I'll be pissed so what I want to do is equal the playing field.

WHERE where are the big gains to be had from weight reduction without having to tear the car apart and making it look like shit... NO SKINNIES... I'm think back seat out, I was also thinking rear quarter panels are the only ones that are metal... why not replace them with carbon fibre that must be worth quite a few pounds.

ANYWAY this is really long I'm really looking to save some weight give me some ideas and try not to bash me too hard...

*edit* to a certain extent funds is no issue, I would rather spend 5 times as much money getting the car lighter and making it look factory and keep it driveable and comfortable then add a nitrous shot to it to make up the difference!
    Last edited by Bouvers; 09-02-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Well I know they make CF hoods. Thats a start. Back seats like you said. Not sure about CF trunk. Take out the carpet from the trunk too. The jack and the stand. If you're not worried about a flat too. If you did those I could see 150+ pounds weight lost.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Exhaust weighs alot... consider dumpin it short...

WHEELS!!! go get your self some HRE, Iforgred, or CCW's... rotating mass is where its at... maybe even some carbon fiber rims (just the outside is carbon... the spokes are usually magnesium)... and dont run runflats....

If you have any extra audio strip it out...

Strip the rear seats and put in some non powered front race seats.

See if you can convert your top to manual so that you can strip all the pumps and fluids out of it...

go tubular where you can on the suspension...

Thats all i got right now... unless you want to strip the heater and A/C out...

Oh and if you are a lil over weigh go to the gym... I mean as long as the weight is comming from somewhere youll be faster...

-me
    Last edited by predator; 09-03-2008 at 05:09 AM.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    Exhaust weighs alot... consider dumpin it short...

WHEELS!!! go get your self some HRE, Iforgred, or CCW's... rotating mass is where its at... maybe even some carbon fiber rims (just the outside is carbon... the spokes are usually magnesium)... and dont run runflats....

If you have any extra audio strip it out...

Strip the rear seats and put in some non powered front race seats.

See if you can convert your top to manual so that you can strip all the pumps and fluids out of it...

go tubular where you can on the suspension...

Thats all i got right now... unless you want to strip the heater and A/C out...

Oh and if you are a lil over weigh go to the gym... I mean as long as the weight is comming from somewhere youll be faster...

-me
    well all good ideas but it seems most the big gains are things that will take away from a stock car look... too bad I'm already skinny and can't lose anymore weight there I was thinking of going to a manual top but then I don't want to take away from comfort... thats what I was thinking body panels it will be expensive as HELL but as long as its done right shouldn't be able to tell the difference right? keep them coming though... lighter rims is an idea although I did always want to get some TTII's

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Although not a weight reduction, a weight redistribution by transferring the battery to the trunk would be beneficial, even though the cables will technically add a bit of weight. Shop around for a "lighter" battery, possibly less CCA's. Keep washer fluid to a min., floor mats, junk in the glove box/console. Ladder-type torque arm might weigh a little less than stock piece. A BIG expense would be ceramic brakes (not just pads) if a kit exists. I've heard of upwards of thirty pounds of weight loss that way. Excess insulation/sound-proofing in doors, interior (not that there really is any). Pay close attention to the weight of any suspension parts that may need replacing: panhard, A-arms, sway bars, etc., and use the lightest ones that maintain good structural integrity. Mate the lowest profile tire to the lightest wheel that will still fit your needs.

Every bit helps. A lot of that is common sense, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Just as important as weight reduction would be to properly set up the suspension. All the power in the world means nothing if the tires are spinning. I don't think they make carbon fiber quarters but you could get a set of fiberglass fenders probably. A carbon fiber hood would lose a little weight.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Just as important as weight reduction would be to properly set up the suspension. All the power in the world means nothing if the tires are spinning. I don't think they make carbon fiber quarters but you could get a set of fiberglass fenders probably. A carbon fiber hood would lose a little weight.
    X2. I hate to give them credit for anything, but Mercedes understands this concept. That's why they have 4500 pound cars that can run mid-12's. We can make as much horsepower, but too many people put that power to use making plumes of tire smoke rather than forward momentum.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if it doesn't keep the motor running and you aren't sitting on it while behind the wheel then take it out. Take all the heat shields out and seats and things like that. If you're just going to the track for the day pull the sway bars too.

Not exactly weight loss but when you know youre gonna race never do it withmore than 1/4 tank of gas.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Remove the entire AIR system. That should knock off about 30-40 lbs. You'll need block-off plates for the exhaust manifolds, and some software to delete it from your PCM tune (otherwise it will throw an SES code).

From the every-little-bit-helps department, a few more small weight-reducers (with est. weight savings):

> Replace the stock shifter stick with a short stick (2 lbs.)
    > Remove the radio antenna before you race (3/4 lb).
    > Remove visors before racing (4-5 lbs.)
    > Remove shoes and as much clothing as reasonable before racing (3-10 lbs.)
    > Fast for at least 12 hours before racing (4-6 lbs.)

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Tubular k-member & motor mounts are good for quite a few pounds.
    cf drive shaft.
    poly rear window.
    race weight carpet.

Thread Information