Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gisselle19

Water Pump Help.

OK here's the deal I dont have an LS1 I actually have a 1996 saturn sc2. BUt my friend uses this site and he's learned how to fix up his car. Also I'm a girl so I don't know much.
    My water pump's bearing are shot according to a mechanic that looked at it. I have the part and everything I need. There are 3 bolts to take off the pulley that is also bolted to the water pump. I have taken 2 of the 3 bolts off the pulley but the last one is stripped. I've saturated th bolt with PB but still nothing. We are securing the pulley so it doesn't move with a strap wrench and using the craftsman 'bolt out' socket that works on stripped sockets but still nothing. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
    I have also tried to just take the water pump off with the pulley but there are 2 of 6 bolts that are completely inaccessesible.
    HELP!!!1 thanks boys

M6TA
    sounds like you might have to get someone to pull the bolt out with a tool and die kit i think... drill out the bolt and pull it out... if i remember correctly

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

are you sure that the bolt is stripped and that maybe you might need a pully puller.

I'm not familiar with saturns. So I am not sure how the water pump is laid out.

Nonetheless, if the bolt is stripped you will need:

Screw/fastener extractor.

what you do is drill a pilot hole in the stipped bolt, then screw the screw extractor into the bolt. Once the extractor bites into the bolt you will be able to unscrew/back out the bolt slowly.

good luck, and let us know if you need more advice!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Never good to strip a bolt I did the pump in my girls 96 cavalier a few times...probably pretty close to your motor setup. Are you getting leverage on the bolt...I mean the socket isn't just spinning on the bolt right? I left the belt on...broke the bolts loose and then took the belt off...that way the pulley doesn't spin. Other then that it's all muscle and some scrapped knuckles....see if your dad or b/f and break it loose.

Also leverage is a little better from the front of the car...not the side. On the cavy the pump is on the passenger side right up against the fender/wheel well....if the saturn is the same way try it from the front. Only get replacement pumps from the dealer BTW...had to redo hers a few weeks later because it started leaking out of the weep hole...bought it at autozone....yea, sucked.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    are you sure that the bolt is stripped and that maybe you might need a pully puller.

Screw/fastener extractor.

what you do is drill a pilot hole in the stipped bolt, then screw the screw extractor into the bolt. Once the extractor bites into the bolt you will be able to unscrew/back out the bolt slowly.
    If it's the same layout as the cavalier have fun getting the drill in there ....pulley is about a inch from the passenger wheel well.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    If it's the same layout as the cavalier have fun getting the drill in there ....pulley is about a inch from the passenger wheel well.
    If thats the case, just put the other two bolts in to draw the pulley onto the pump, and cut the head off with a hack saw or anything that will fit.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

gisselle19

Angry

ok yes the setup is just as someone described above on the passangers side and inch from the wheel well. and i gorgot to explain it's not me working on it, I;ve have 3 guy friends look at it. And yes it's def a bolt(I'm not that dumb) the bolt wasn't originally stripped it became stripped after numerous tries to get it off. And my part is also from Autozone which sucks now bc i dont have the reciept. Is there anyone in the Orlando/UCF area that can help??? I'll pay I just can't drive it to the mechanic.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by gisselle19
    ok yes the setup is just as someone described above on the passangers side and inch from the wheel well. and i gorgot to explain it's not me working on it, I;ve have 3 guy friends look at it. And yes it's def a bolt(I'm not that dumb) the bolt wasn't originally stripped it became stripped after numerous tries to get it off. And my part is also from Autozone which sucks now bc i dont have the reciept. Is there anyone in the Orlando/UCF area that can help??? I'll pay I just can't drive it to the mechanic.
    Well, too far away here, but I imagine if you cut the bolt off, even if all you can get in there is a hack saw blade, you should be able to get the pulley out of the way enough to get the pump off.

You could try telling the folks at autozone you found a loose hose clamp. If they still won't take it back, just chalk it up to experience.

05 Wrangler

ok....this is gonna be a pain in the ass, but you might have to try to take ther pump off with the pulley still on. Like I said, it's gonna suck....get a skinny dude with small hands under the car and see if there's anyway to get those last two bolt's out. I can't remember how accessible it is from underneath...but that might be the "easiest" way. Someone's going to have to guide the tool for the guy under the car and use a lot of light. BTW...tell your guy friends to use the correct size box-end wrench next time

As far as the autozone pump...if it's bad they'll replace it for free with no problem...besides the problem of having to reinstall the pump

05 Wrangler

Oh... and of you:firedevil

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

i would try to help but we are too far apart.

have you tried calling a saturn dealer and speaking with a tech. The can be tons of help over the phone!

gisselle19

Picture!!!!!!!!!!!

there that is me in the front. i attached the pic enjoy

thanks for all the help guys!!!! it's greatly appreciated

[/QUOTE]

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

damn your a hottie!!!

i guess i'm driving from chicago to orlando to help fix your car.

there that is me in the front. i attached the pic enjoy

thanks for all the help guys!!!! it's greatly appreciated

[/QUOTE]

gisselle19
    well thanks!!!!

05 Wrangler

well thanks!!!!
    Wow you're fine So did your friends get the saturn up and running?

gisselle19
    nope it's still just sitting inmy drive way

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Man, I thought the OLA would have jumped in to help you by now...

Orlando Leghumpers Association, where are you?

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

So, there's something else in Orlando worth seeing besides Disney World & Universal Studios! N I C E. Tell your boyfriend that if he can't get your water pump out, then you're finding another boyfriend who's willing to pay to get the job done.... Good luck!

gisselle19
    i wish it was that easy!!

but i did end up getting the waterpump off(pulley attached). It did take some patience to sit there reach those last two impossible bolts. but we did get it off ! now i have to just buy another pully and bolt. thanks guys!!!

anyone looking for a cute girl that loves cars ad racing 'em??? lol

05 Wrangler

i wish it was that easy!!

but i did end up getting the waterpump off(pulley attached). It did take some patience to sit there reach those last two impossible bolts. but we did get it off ! now i have to just buy another pully and bolt. thanks guys!!!

anyone looking for a cute girl that loves cars ad racing 'em??? lol
    Sweeeet....I knew they could do it, must of sucked though. What cars do you race...please don't say the saturn

I woulda came by and helped...but ahhhh....I live in cali

Thread Information