white
    1998 ws6 trans am

Water out the tailpipe

I bought a 98 WS6 trans am last summer and found I was losing water. This winter I decided to pull the heads and install MLS head gaskets. My car has AFR 215's and they require a big bore head gasket. I looked at the heads, cleaned them up and looked at the cylinders in the block. I did not see any cracks or other poblems but the head gasket was burnt and feeding cylinder 3 water. I installed GM MLS LS7 gaskets and I still have water out the tailpipe, rough idle, and I'm sure i'm down on power but I can't confirm that.
    If any body out there has had something similar to this let me know.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Does the exhaust smell of burning coolant? Normally water is condensate from the hot exhaust system.

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

It really does not, I even touched my tongue after putting my hand behind the tailpipe. It is constant though, even after a 20 minute drive on the interstate it still is putting out small water droplets.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

are you using regular gas? they put more water in our gas now.. mine leaks water out of the tailpipe but its not from the cooling system, i think its from the gas. just keep an eye on coolant levels, if it doesnt change your ok..
    2000 Z28 M6 125,XXX: SLP lid, K&N, 10.4mm Taylor plug wires, Frost Tune, P&P TB, NGK Iridium plugs, Magnaflow Cat back, BMR SFC's and tower brace, TSP LT's and ORY, LS6 intake, MAC Girdle, UMI LCA's and Panhard, LS7 Clutch Kit, so far..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Short trips cause water/condensation to accumulate in your exhaust. Can also cause premature rotting too.

Not from your cooling system, there's more in your cooling system than just water.. Coolant burns when mixed with gas. Usually, if it's being lost in a combustion chamber it exits the exhaust as a white fog like smoke and smells heavily of coolant...
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-08-2010 at 06:11 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agreed. Water is a by-product of combustion and it is probably condensing in the exhaust system and dripping from the tail pipe. I have followed vehicles and watched water pour out the tail pipe as they pull away from a stop sign. Easiest check would be to pressure test your cooling system and monitor your coolant levels. Remember, the coolant level in the overflow goes up and down as the engine heat cycles, so always check it cold.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

So if I drive my car and it smells like rotten eggs, Do I have a vaild problem?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    So if I drive my car and it smells like rotten eggs, Do I have a vaild problem?
    Rotten egg smell is emitted by your cat, usually if it's on it's way out, but some smell like that and last very long as well.

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    are you using regular gas? they put more water in our gas now.. mine leaks water out of the tailpipe but its not from the cooling system, i think its from the gas. just keep an eye on coolant levels, if it doesnt change your ok..
    I run E85

black
    2002 WS6

E85 would be cause for the excess water out the tail pipe most likely. As E85 is 85 percent ethanol, which has a high moisture content, and when burned releases a hi mix of steam (water) and co2.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would'nt run E85 in my lawn mower. Just my .02...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by tthrash View Post
    I run E85
    How are your running E85???

Unless you have done some mods to be able to run E85, you are probably killing your engine?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Your car must be knocking like no tomorrow.

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

I have it tuned for E85 with my HP tuner. By changing the schoich from 14.7 to 9.89 the fuel maps are adjusted. I run 42# injectors to deliver more fuel. I picked up .3 tenth and a couple MPH in the eigth after I switched to e85. I run 2-3 degrees more timing across the board. I started playing with E85 when I had a blowthrough setup on my 86 capri.Actually I have a weed eater that runs E85.
    I did a cooling system pressure test today and it held at 20#'s so it must not be leaking. I didnt really consider the amount of condensation could be related to E85 but that makes sense. I appreciate the input, thanks.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If the car is running 100%, then you are good.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I have it tuned for E85 with my HP tuner. By changing the schoich from 14.7 to 9.89 the fuel maps are adjusted. I run 42# injectors to deliver more fuel. I picked up .3 tenth and a couple MPH in the eigth after I switched to e85. I run 2-3 degrees more timing across the board. I started playing with E85 when I had a blowthrough setup on my 86 capri.Actually I have a weed eater that runs E85.
    I did a cooling system pressure test today and it held at 20#'s so it must not be leaking. I didnt really consider the amount of condensation could be related to E85 but that makes sense. I appreciate the input, thanks.
    That's pretty cool. Are you able to get 85% year round. Around here they throttle the E85 back to 65% during the winter months.

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    That's pretty cool. Are you able to get 85% year round. Around here they throttle the E85 back to 65% during the winter months.
    They do the same thing here, That could be part of the problem causing it to run rich.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You are the first and only person I know that has put our cars on a corn diet. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with the E85. Was this something you just wanted to try or is it some experiment for a corp? Interesting concept. Interested in how much different acceleration, HP, and consumption is? When you put reg gas in does it change in performance?

white
    1998 ws6 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You are the first and only person I know that has put our cars on a corn diet. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with the E85. Was this something you just wanted to try or is it some experiment for a corp? Interesting concept. Interested in how much different acceleration, HP, and consumption is? When you put reg gas in does it change in performance?
    I did it initially because I was considering a STS turbo system and the cooling effect of the fuel as well as the high octane 105 would protect against detonation. I have found my milage is about 12 in town and 18 on the highway. This sounds bad but considering the cast of premium fuel compared to e85 you actually save a small amount of money. I know it makes more power because I picked up a couple mile an hour in the eigth. I live in the cornbelt so e85 is plentifull enough but you do have to map your route if a long trip is scheduled.

Thread Information