Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Water heater hose assembly

Has anyone been able to order it brand new? Have anyone got creative and just used regular heater hose? I use heater hose but not to sure if I want to keep it that way. I'm looking for ideas or were can I order the assembly. Post pics if you can. Thanks.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

You mean the (2) aluminum lines with hoses fixed on each end running down the passenger side?
    I ordered it new. I think it was around $120 or more. It was a while ago, maybe 6 months. I would order a new one rather than hassle trying to mod it. I modded it on my first Camaro. I cut the lines off and rolled a lip on the ends of the aluminum tubes and then attached new hoses.

Go right to your local GM dealer. That's where I've found them.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    You mean the (2) aluminum lines with hoses fixed on each end running down the passenger side?
    I ordered it new. I think it was around $120 or more. It was a while ago, maybe 6 months. I would order a new one rather than hassle trying to mod it. I modded it on my first Camaro. I cut the lines off and rolled a lip on the ends of the aluminum tubes and then attached new hoses.
    Yeah someone suggested this also. How can I roll the ends of the tubing. I have to go check and how much they want for the assembly. I checked on GMpartsdirect and I don't see it listed. Anyone can PM me a part number?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Yeah someone suggested this also. How can I roll the ends of the tubing. I have to go check and how much they want for the assembly. I checked on GMpartsdirect and I don't see it listed. Anyone can PM me a part number?
    There is a tool to roll it. Dont remember where I got it. I will see if I can look up the part#

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ordered a new one from the dealership. As stated, probably around $120.00. I highly recommend a set of locking remote hose clamp pliers. Made the job a whole lot easier.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ordered a new one from the dealership. As stated, probably around $120.00. I highly recommend a set of locking remote hose clamp pliers. Made the job a whole lot easier.
    X2!! Those pliers are a knuckle saver!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Go right to your local GM dealer. That's where I've found them.
    Same for my jeeps.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The best price I found was $150. Right now i rerouted the heater lines away from the exhaust manifold and zip tie them. i used regular heater hose. It doesn't look too bad. What i actually did is that i cut the compressed couplings and the aluminum pipes are actually flared. I have found 2 hoses that are pretty close to the original ones. I might has to do some mod to the AC bottle (shine one) bracket to see if the last 2 pieces of hose can be 90 degree curves and then use clamps on them instead of the crompressed couplings. I do have a friend that can make the couplings if I need to. I'm still working on it...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good info. Guess I probably shoud have kept my original hose assembly as a back up after seeing this.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I'm going to make this sucker work. I'm saving part numbers of the hoses for future reference and to share with members in case it works. I just can't see myself paying $150 for this heater hose... stay tuned. Also the hose sizes are 5/8" and 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good info. Guess I probably shoud have kept my original hose assembly as a back up after seeing this.
    That's what I did. Not like I can change it on the road, but piece of mind if I need it.
    I'd personally rather spend the money and do it right. But that's just how I do things.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Not that it's a huge difference but 98 from GM parts direct

GM PART # 10415020
    CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
    PACK QTY: 1
    CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $169.87
    OUR PRICE: $98.76

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Is that with shipping also? Just a quick update i was able to find the hoses that will fit from the heater core to the tubing. I'm working on the other 2 now.

Poor feller,,,you've been messing around trying to fab heater hoses for almost a week.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Poor feller,,,you've been messing around trying to fab heater hoses for almost a week.
    No lol. I have maybe put 2 hours on this. I work 24 hrs shifts and when I get out sometimes I'm just tired. The weather is not helping either.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    No lol. I have maybe put 2 hours on this. I work 24 hrs shifts and when I get out sometimes I'm just tired. The weather is not helping either.
    Oh okay,,, seemed like I've been seeing this on and off for the last week so I looked back at your first post

Keep peckin away at it, maybe it'll work out and you'll walk away much cheaper.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Update: Ok I finished making the hose assembly. This is what I used:

1 foot of 3/4" heater hose $1.50
    2 feet of 5/8" heater hose $3
    8 worm screw clamps (make sure they fit the hose sizes) $10 for all of them
    1 M8-1.25 x 20mm bolt (to replace the tubing assembly torx screw) $.50
    1 heater hose #300147(drive-rite), i got it from advance auto parts. This is from a 92-94 Pontiac Bonneville SE $10
    Here is the link for the hose:
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_518786465___

After I removed the assembly and took the OEM hoses out of it I started to measure and making adjustments so the hoses can fit as nice as possible.

This a pic of the hose # 300147

I cut 1" of the 90 degree elbow side(right side on this pic)

I cut 4 3/4" of 5/8" heater hose and put it in place of the old one.

I left the hoses without clamps and slide the assembly back in place. I use the new bolt to fix it in place.

Now I put the hoses to the heater core and adjusted the hoses so the fit nicely. Mark with marker a line at the hose and tubing so you know the orientation. Pull the assembly out again and double check the alignment of the marks that you made previously. Now put 2 clamps at the ends that go to the tubing and tight them down. Slide 2 additional clamps so you don't forget the ones that go to the heater core. I used the worm screw type by the heater core area since the OEM ones were causing leaks.

Now to the other 2 hoses at the other end of the assembly. I cut the hoses at 1 foot each. In my case this is measurements of my sections:
    One piece of 10 3/4" of 5/8" hose
    One piece of 11 1/4" of 3/4" hose

I measured them after I put the 1 foot sections in place and then cut them to custom fit.

Put the assembly back in place. It might be tricky since you got hoses on it now. Put the bolt back on the assembly. Check the hoses at the heater core and if you are satisfied with the way they look and fit then slide the clamps for the heater core and tighten them down. If the small 5/8" hose looks like is out of alignment you can bend the aluminum tubing a little to get it closer.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-31-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: fixed image link

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Now slide 2 clamps for the 2 sections that go to the tubing on the water pump side and tighten them down. Make sure the 3/4" hose(the right side input of the pump) is not rubbing against the A/C receiver/dryer bottle bracket. If it is either cut the hose some to make it shorter or put a piece of rubber in between the bracket and hose.

Slide 2 more clamps for the pump inlets. Make sure the hose curves nicely and it doesn't kink. If it kinks cut some off but make sure the hose doesn't get too close to the exhaust manifold. Tighten them down.

Make sure the screw and excess metal of the clamps at the heater core are not rubbing against the hoses. If they are loosen them up and reposition them. I cut the excess metal of some of the clamps by marking how much if was needed and cutting it with cable cutters. Make sure you file down all the sharp edges of the clamps as they might rub against the hose or wires. I used a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/16" socket to tighten down the clamps. A 5/16" ratchet wrench works good too. Fill the cooling system to the proper level and start your vehicle. Once you get the proper level of coolant check for leaks at all the clamps. That's it.

It took me about 2 hrs to fabricate the hoses because i didn't knew the right measurements. Now it will take me less time. I spent
    $25 in parts. Hope this helps other people that don't want to spend the money on the OEM assembly
    Last edited by JayTA98; 01-31-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice write up and pics. Looks like it worked out just fine. I never thought to toss the torx head bolt in favor of something else -- it was a bugger to remove.

Thread Information