pewter and white
    02 and 95 both z28's

warranty ? for cat's and emission parts

My 2002 z28 pop a code for low cat. eff. bank 1 code p0420. My question is are the cat's under warranty still? The car was built Sept. 02. I talked with 2 local dealers and one of them say's its still under warranty until Sept. 3 2010, the other says its not under warranty. I have also heard that gm covers cats and all emission parts for 10 years or 150k miles. If anyone can clear this up for that would be alot of help.

thanks
    james

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The normal emissions warranty is actually 8 years/80,000 miles. The GM special policy extended the cat converter warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles.
    Refer to this thread for more info.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

here is what happened a few months ago. look at the dates .. a few days past 9 years from delivery . so obviously a 10 year warranty. ( provided your mileage is good)I'm the original owner....................
    Last edited by twozs; 08-28-2010 at 07:27 PM.

pewter and white
    02 and 95 both z28's

thanks guys for all the help. i guess the car is going to the dealer on tuesday.

The different dealership answers might be confusion over the build date vs. the date vehicle was put into service? Don't know why they'd turn you away.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 08-30-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: removed political stuff from post

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just got that code, bank 1, myself the beginning of this month. I called GM and they told me that because my car was put into service, Feb of 2000, that I did not qualify for the extended warranty

So, if I had thrown the code in January, I would have been fine

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I just got that code, bank 1, myself the beginning of this month. I called GM and they told me that because my car was put into service, Feb of 2000, that I did not qualify for the extended warranty

yup, unfortunately this extended warranty is starting to run out on alot of these cars

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    yup, unfortunately this extended warranty is starting to run out on alot of these cars
    Don't feel bad there's never been a warranty on the 3800-II f-body cat.. I had to buy it out right when mine crapped out.. It was pretty cheap depending on ones means but not free... Unfortunately yall LS1ers have to buy 2 of them..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

That code is your car say-n get this P O S off of me!!!!!!!!!! Ory will fix the prob.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Don't feel bad there's never been a warranty on the 3800-II f-body cat.. I had to buy it out right when mine crapped out.. It was pretty cheap depending on ones means but not free... Unfortunately yall LS1ers have to buy 2 of them..
    Yeah, well... for us in CA, it's a double whammy The fact that we need two is only made worse by the fact that CA emissions make replacing cats cost almost twice as much Not allot of 50 state legal cats around either.

PITA...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Yeah, well... for us in CA, it's a double whammy The fact that we need two is only made worse by the fact that CA emissions make replacing cats cost almost twice as much Not allot of 50 state legal cats around either.

PITA...
    I believe they do that in an attempt to get cars like ours off the streets.. By CA. standards, seems like they want yall to walk.. I've got no reason to ever go there now. Unfortunately I have family there, wish I could convice them to get the flock out of the left coast..

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

I had a CAT go bad in my SS and took it to the dealer and at that time it was out warranty and wanted something like $800 in parts and labor to replace it, this was only one not both. So I bought Dynatech headers and cats and had a speed shop install for a total of $1500. Then a year later I get a letter from GM telling me they extended the Cat warranty. I sent them copies of the service invoice from the Chevy Dealer, receipt for my Header/Cat install and purchase and a nice letter requesting some reimbursement. Well they denied all of it because of the aftermarket parts. I was hoping they would at least provide me their cost of 1 CAT. It was then that I swore off buying another GM vehicle due to past out of pocket costs. I did buy a new Colorado from Chevy after that but never again. 11 out of 14of my vehicles were GM, they will not see me in a showroom to buy again.

pewter and white
    02 and 95 both z28's

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    That code is your car say-n get this P O S off of me!!!!!!!!!! Ory will fix the prob.

yea i think i am going to be buying headers and ory when i get my taxes back this year, but until then gm can replace it under warranty.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    I had a CAT go bad in my SS and took it to the dealer and at that time it was out warranty and wanted something like $800 in parts and labor to replace it, this was only one not both. So I bought Dynatech headers and cats and had a speed shop install for a total of $1500. Then a year later I get a letter from GM telling me they extended the Cat warranty. I sent them copies of the service invoice from the Chevy Dealer, receipt for my Header/Cat install and purchase and a nice letter requesting some reimbursement. Well they denied all of it because of the aftermarket parts. I was hoping they would at least provide me their cost of 1 CAT. It was then that I swore off buying another GM vehicle due to past out of pocket costs. I did buy a new Colorado from Chevy after that but never again. 11 out of 14of my vehicles were GM, they will not see me in a showroom to buy again.
    oh geez...gimme a break. of course they denied your reimbursement. they aren't gonna pay for your mods.

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    oh geez...gimme a break. of course they denied your reimbursement. they aren't gonna pay for your mods.
    I did not expect them to pay for any mods. The whole reason why I did not have GM fix is because of the outrageous price of the cat part and labor to install it (OEM and Union labor=bend over). Did you not see for twice the money of 1 CAT installed I could get headers and CATs installed as well? Why pay them when it was out of my pocket. So I went else where and than a year later GM realizes they had bad CATs and extend the warranty of which my CAT would have fallin into and been covered. While realizing I had aftermarket, I still had the bad CAT in my Garage, I was only looking for GM to reimburse me their Cost of the CAT. I even offered to ship it to them or bring it to the Chevy dealer who diagnosed the issue. I don't get why you don't think that would have been good customer service on GMs side, especially a repeat customer, I mean past customer now.

Thread Information