Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Walbro fuel pump

Are they making these things differently now?

I bought one a couple years back for my wifes camaro and I figure now is a good time to do it. I open the package and the pump is nothing like the original.

The electrical connection is a completely different plug, and what bothers me most is the new Walbro doesn't have the little brass nipple for the tiny hose that keeps the bucket full of fuel at all times (very important).

I'm not installing this pump if I can't connect that tiny 1/8" hose to the top of the pump.

What gives? Anyone find a walbro with the correct connections? Supplier?

Nevermind, I made some calls, turns out none of the aftermarket (Walbro or otherwise) come with the correct pump it seems. None of them have the 1/8" fitting necessary to keep the fuel bucket full of fuel. Forget that.

Looks like it's back to the dealer. The only way they sell the pump is a complete assembly with the bucket and sending unit for $700. At least I'll have piece of mind knowing the tank can run low and still have a full bucket of fuel to surround the pump.

Stinking aftermarket crap

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I don't use Walbro on anything.

I baught the whole nine when I did my 01 camaro pump.

Was ~$300-400 iirc and came with everything new, sender, pump assembly, etc.

It had a different pig tail with solderless connectors, so I soldered them to be sure.

I run bosch pumps in just about all my other cars, where I just need the pump.

Always have had good luck with Bosch. I use their injectors as well.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-07-2012 at 09:39 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

^^ Advanced Auto carries the whole deal I got if you're interested.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-07-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    ^^ Advanced Auto carries the whole deal I got if you're interested.
    I wonder what Advance auto uses? Or if it would be the complete assembly with the bucket, sending unit and all?

It wouldn't have mattered if I used Bosch or Walbro or Aeromotive,,,,none of them come with the correct fitting setup to keep the bucket full of fuel.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I wonder what Advance auto uses? Or if it would be the complete assembly with the bucket, sending unit and all?

It wouldn't have mattered if I used Bosch or Walbro or Aeromotive,,,,none of them come with the correct fitting setup to keep the bucket full of fuel.
    Yes,, it had everything all together as a unit. Can't remember the name but it's the whole thing, spring loaded deal, with all the hoses and so forth already to go. Just pull out the old assembly and slide in the new, (after you do your eletrical connections) it simply plugs into your exsisting body connector/plug.

Yes,, it had everything all together as a unit. Can't remember the name but it's the whole thing, spring loaded deal, with all the hoses and so forth already to go. Just pull out the old assembly and slide in the new, (after you do your eletrical connections) it simply plugs into your exsisting body connector/plug.
    Sounds like that's what I'm going to have to do since the aftermarket pumps by themselves just don't have the correct connections for everything to function as intended.

I just called Napa, they have exactly what you are talking about. Bosch listed as an OEM manufacture is $543.99 but it's not in the warehouse and could be several days to get in,,,,yuk...
    They have a Delphi assembly that is also listed as OEM manufacture, it's a little cheaper at $498 and it's in the warehouse. I can have that one in the morning.

Looking like that's probably the way I'll have to go.

Was ~$300-400 iirc and came with everything new, sender, pump assembly, etc.

It had a different pig tail with solderless connectors, so I soldered them to be sure.
    What do you mean by this? The whole assembly with the bucket should have the wiring already together inside with the pump and sending unti, and the only thing to do should be to connect the factory weather pack connectors from the car to the top of the assembly....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I just did'nt know what I would find when I did the Camaro's pump so I replaced it all.

My luck I'd just get the pump and break the assembly trying to fit a new pump into old stuff..

The assembly has everything you'll need, ready to go.

Took me about 3-4 hours to drop the tank, (I was'nt about to cut any holes) doing it for the first time.

I just did'nt know what I would find when I did the Camaro's pump so I replaced it all.

My luck I'd just get the pump and break the assembly trying to fit a new pump into old stuff..

The assembly has everything you'll need, ready to go.

Took me about 3-4 hours to drop the tank, (I was'nt about to cut any holes) doing it for the first time.
    I've got the tank out, and the bucket assembly apart on the bench. None of that was a big deal,,,I just don't like the looks of the aftermarket pump not having the factory 1/8" supply line to keep that bucket full of fuel. So I stopped where I'm at,,,,I'm not putting this thing together unless it's absolutely right....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

What do you mean by this? The whole assembly with the bucket should have the wiring already together inside with the pump and sending unti, and the only thing to do should be to connect the factory weather pack connectors from the car to the top of the assembly....
    The setup came with 2 different style harness plugs I imagine for another vehicle with the same pump.

Both plugs had about 8 inches of wire to connect to the pump assembly which has it's own pig tails coming out of it.

The intructions where spot on for which goes where on the camaro.

I'm having a hard time comprehending that.

There is a short harness inside the bucket. It runs from the pump to the top of the bucket, into the weather pack connector that comes from the car. The other portion of that harness is also inside the bucket and runs from the sending unit to the top of the bucket and into the other weather pack connector that comes from the car.

If this thing is a complete assembly, then it should be wired to the top of the bucket (where the weather pack connectors go) from the sending unit and pump. Why all that would be unhooked inside the bucket on a new assembly sounds odd to me (only the weather packs on top would be the biggest concern for change from model to model). That means I would have to dissassemble the bucket to hook those wires up, because I can't get my hands in there otherwise....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Bare with me here it's been like 2-3 years lol.

Basicly you're making a 2 plug jumper from the car to the new setup.

At one end you have your OEM plugs that goes to the car, at the other end is the plug for the new pump setup.

You don't heve to tear the new stuff apart.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Bare with me here it's been like 2-3 years lol.

Basicly you're making a 2 plug jumper from the car to the new setup.

At one end you have your OEM plugs that goes to the car, at the other end is the plug for the new pump setup.

You don't heve to tear the new stuff apart.
    Oh,,,it sounds like you are talking about the weather pack connectors up on top of the tank that go to the car then?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It's basicly an upgrade. The new assembly should have a single whether pack on the top/outside of the assembly.

Which is what you'll connect to your factory plugs. If you see what I mean.

It's basicly an upgrade. The new assembly should have a single whether pack on the top/outside of the assembly.

Which is what you'll connect to your factory plugs. If you see what I mean.
    Hardest part for me was commiting to cutting the factory stuff to add the after market connector.
    Mine has two weather packs on top. No way am I cutting the factory harness connectors from the car. It will either need to have a factory style weather pack pigtail to jump over to the new fuel pump assembly, or I can't use it.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I swear it's simple. Instructions are good on where and what to cut and how to add the new plug.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Mine has two weather packs on top. No way am I cutting the factory harness connectors from the car. It will either need to have a factory style weather pack pigtail to jump over to the new fuel pump assembly, or I can't use it.
    I see what you're saying. The after market has all the wires pinned into one female plug on top and then you simply plug the OEM side into the car as you would normally do.

It's not that I can't,,,it's that I don't want to If it's not a direct plug and play setup then I'd suspect it's not a real OEM part. I don't want to cut on the harness in such a way that a factory OEM pump setup won't go back in later down the road without more wire surgery. I just prefer not to do that.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. I partially put this back together, you can see the wiring inside that are just simple clip on plugs (not weather pack).
    The tiny brown hose is why I'm not using this aftermarket pump. You can see the little brass nipple on the factory pump where this hose goes in the picture (aftermarket pumps don't have this feature) That tiny brown hose is connected to another fuel sock at the bottom of the bucket, which has a small outlet at the bottom, and fills the bucket with fuel. The pump itself has another sock on it and draws fuel from inside the bucket. So there is some importance to this tiny brown hose that most people obviously are deleting with their aftermarket pump setups. With that hose not functioning, you would have to keep at least 1/4-3/8 of fuel in the tank at all times to keep that bucket full of fuel because that thing is 7" tall and only open on the top side.

Here is a better picture of the bucket/sending unit with the pump assembly pulled out of it. You can see the second fuel sock on the bucket that the tiny 1/8" brown hose pulls fuel from.

I see what you're saying. The after market has all the wires pinned into one female plug on top and then you simply plug the OEM side into the car as you would normally do.
    Oh,,,so it is plug and play??

Thread Information