Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Vibration up to 1500 rpms

Hi guys. I have a question. I have notice a vibration that I feel in the steering wheel and the cab itself. It happens from 0-1500rpm regardless if it is in gear or not. Under acceleration I can feel it sometimes up to 1500 rpms. I really don't noticed it after 1500 rpms. I'm starting to think it might the transmission but i cant pinpoint anything and since the car runs fine makes it even harder. Any ideas? I have poly mounts but I never felt the vibration before specially under acceleration. could an electrical problem cause this? like a bad plug or wires? any thoughts? Thanks.

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

I would say if the vibration doesn't change through the rpms then you need to start checking the wheels and tires. May have a wheel out of balance, or may be an alignment issue.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The vibration is not related to the wheels. It happens when I am not in gear and not moving. If I slowly rev it up you feel it.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I would double check the engine and tranny mounts, and ensure they're ok. Maybe do a general check - fuel pressure, MAF is clean, ect.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i will check the mounts. I did MAF clean up and seafoamed the engine 2 weeks ago.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

is the vibration getting worse as time goes on? or no change?

like Walt said do a general look over. Also check vacuum lines. You could have a slight leak.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I checked the whole area with carb cleaner spray for leaks before and no change in the idle. I'm not saying is idle related but not in the engine area. It got worse with time. I even feel like the engine shakes harder than usual when it starts. Then I still get the vibration in cab at idle if I sit in gear for a long time.

I'm going to recheck everything after i'm done with the front shocks. I got do redo the wifes because i didn't put back the old bump stops since they were destroyed. Turns out you need those if the shock bottoms out. This time i got smart. I bought a 33 gal compressor from home depot, a 50' line, couplings, 550ft/lb 1/2'" impact tool and a 3/8" impact ratchet. I have to get me some impact sockets.

Once I'm done with all this i will start to look for this current issue. I might have to replace the bad hub I think is causing my tire to vibrate.

Thread Information