Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Vibration in 3rd gear only

Hello All,

Im in need of help, I have 2000 camaro ls1 460LE tranny, and in drive soon as it hits 2000 rpms, it starts vibrating bad. 1st and 2nd gear is fine, overdrive is fine, My mechanic and I are baffled now, heres a list of what we have done

Replaced 1 tranny mount, one had a lot of play in it but the others looked good
    Tranny shop hooked it up to computer and didnt get any miss shifts or slipping
    replaced both joints on driveshaft
    serviced the rear end.
    balanced the rear tires

We are testing the drive shaft now to make sure there isnt any warping but its all stock so I cant imagine the shaft being warped.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Thanks

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Forgot car idles and shifts fine to. Only in 3rd gear once u get to 2100 rpms

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Ya'll have covered pretty much everything already. It may be inside the tranny itself.

Sounds exactly like the typical 3rd gear clutch shudder. I've had quite a few 4L60's that did that.

No real cure for it other than tuning the trans tables or rebuild.

Just a heads up, I've played with trans tables and line pressures in the tune and was able to tame it down but never able to completely get rid of it. So I drove the car for years and figured I'd rebuild when it let go, but it never did. Fluid always looked nice and the pan was free of sludge during routine service intervals

Even a rebuilt 4L60 I had that was built to handle abuse, coleen steels and red alto clutches, 5 pinion planet, beast shell , shift kit, etc etc....also had a very very slight 3rd gear shudder but wasn't there all the time, only light throttle situations.

So I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it's jarring your fillings out or making the CD skip Then I might want to address it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

FBJ - would you recommend a transmission fluid and filter change? I run semi-synthetic Dex VI in ours, and fortunately had no issues with the stock transmission prior to it being swapped out. Back in the day, we'd dump Type F in the GM's for a bit more bite... but that's probably not a great idea on our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    FBJ - would you recommend a transmission fluid and filter change? I run semi-synthetic Dex VI in ours, and fortunately had no issues with the stock transmission prior to it being swapped out. Back in the day, we'd dump Type F in the GM's for a bit more bite... but that's probably not a great idea on our cars.
    A fluid and filter change is a good idea. Give you a chance to see if anything has settled in the bottom of the pan. My experience with autos, if the fluid changes aren't done that often, that it's normal to see some sediment in the bottom of the pan. Doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with the trans, I see it a lot on transmissions that haven't been serviced routinely and they work fine for years afterwards.
    I tend to change mine about every 10-12,000 miles and as long as I stay on that schedule, the bottom of the pan stays pretty darn clean.

On the Type F, I do it hear on the old GM stuff (350 and 400 turbos). A lot of people (and racers) would spend a lot of money on the B&M trick shift when the Type F did the exact same thing for half the cost. It provided crisper shifting.
    I agree though, not something I want to try with the newer overdrive stuff like the 4L60. I just stick to the regular Dexron.

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok to close out the thread we found out it was the motor mounts, the GM motor mounts have a plate in them that keep them from collapsing to the bottom, so visual inspection they looked good but when we actually inspected them by lifting up the motor with a prybar the motor moved a lot, took them out to find one completely dry and cracked rubber to one almost all the way collapsed had it not been for that plate it would have collapsed. Thanks for all your help though guys.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good find. Upgrading to poly mounts?

Pewter Gold
    2000 Camaro Z28

Good find. Upgrading to poly mounts?

Nope through my searches here I have read that the polys can make the car vibrate bad as well and people have put them on just to take them back off so i went with stock.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Poly motor mounts are not an issue -- I run them in our car. It is the poly trans mount that generally causes issues. I installed one and ended up yanking it after just a couple of days due to the vibration.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Poly motor mounts are not an issue -- I run them in our car. It is the poly trans mount that generally causes issues. I installed one and ended up yanking it after just a couple of days due to the vibration.
    +1 ...like the poly motor mounts but i couldnt stand the poly tranny mount and stuck with the oe mount

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Poly tranny mount here...No problems with shaking? Maybe im used to my car..What and when was the shaking/ vibrations you guys felt? Just curious?

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Poly tranny mount here...No problems with shaking? Maybe im used to my car..What and when was the shaking/ vibrations you guys felt? Just curious?
    it seems people who have manual transmissions have better experiences with the poly tranny mounts...maybe cause no torque converter?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

AHH HA- i was just coming back to say ive got a MT..but its in my profile anyway- Your probably right!

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    AHH HA- i was just coming back to say ive got a MT..but its in my profile anyway- Your probably right!
    man if i had the M6 i would probably destroy those rubber trans mounts all the time! hahaha!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I had awful vibration with the poly mount. It has been suggested that it changes the driveshaft angle as it is taller, but even idling the thing vibrated terrible.

Thread Information