NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Valvoline Street Legal?

Well i have been putting Valvoline VR1 racing oil 10w30 in my engine. I just moved to Orlando florida and finally found a NAPA and they say they would order my oil and it would be in the next day. I go and i pick it up and i saw the box said Valvoline racing 10w30. Now when i open the box its not VR1! its a Valvoline oil 10w30 but it says in big letters "NOT STREET LEGAL". They are black bottles and when i read the back of it, it says something about having more zinc and friction modifiers. It says passenger cars should use this because it will mess up the cats overtime and cars with clutches. Has anyone ever heard of this oil?? and if so should i use it or take it back? I only cruise around in my Trans am i dont race it.

Thanks in Advance!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Use 10W 30 Penzoil Platinum & a NAPA filter & don't look back

Post API Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN View Post
    Well i have been putting Valvoline VR1 racing oil 10w30 in my engine. I just moved to Orlando florida and finally found a NAPA and they say they would order my oil and it would be in the next day. I go and i pick it up and i saw the box said Valvoline racing 10w30. Now when i open the box its not VR1! its a Valvoline oil 10w30 but it says in big letters "NOT STREET LEGAL". They are black bottles and when i read the back of it, it says something about having more zinc and friction modifiers. It says passenger cars should use this because it will mess up the cats overtime and cars with clutches. Has anyone ever heard of this oil?? and if so should i use it or take it back? I only cruise around in my Trans am i dont race it.

Thanks in Advance!
    LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN,

The Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 Racing Oil has the following API designated applications:

API rating (SH): Obsolete - For 1996 and older engines.

API Rating (CD): Obsolete - Introduced in 1955. For certain naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines.

With Zinc and Phosphorus levels at 1300ppm, and 1200ppm, this oil would be a decent choice if you had a pre 1996 car or flat-tappet camshaft.

For your application, a 1999 Trans Am, with rollorized valve-train components and emissions system, it’s advisable to use motor oil with the following API designation:

API Rating (SM) Current - For all automotive engines currently in use. Introduced in 2004, SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.

API Rating (SL) Current - For 2004 and older automotive engines.

API Rating (SJ) Current - For 2001 and older automotive engines.

API Engine Oil Guide pdf file

Valvoline VR1 10W-30 Racing oil pdf file

CompSyn

NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN,

The Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 Racing Oil has the following API designated applications:

API rating (SH): Obsolete - For 1996 and older engines.

API Rating (CD): Obsolete - Introduced in 1955. For certain naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines.

With Zinc and Phosphorus levels at 1300ppm, and 1200ppm, this oil would be a decent choice if you had a pre 1996 car or flat-tappet camshaft.

For your application, a 1999 Trans Am, with rollorized valve-train components and emissions system, it’s advisable to use motor oil with the following API designation:

Click for full size

API Rating (SM) Current - For all automotive engines currently in use. Introduced in 2004, SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.

API Rating (SL) Current - For 2004 and older automotive engines.

API Rating (SJ) Current - For 2001 and older automotive engines.

API Engine Oil Guide pdf file

Valvoline VR1 10W-30 Racing oil pdf file

CompSyn

Wow.......thanks!!

Thread Information