White
    1996 Camaro V-6

Question V6 to V8 swap questions

I am looking to swap the 3.4 L V6 out of my 95 Camaro with a 5.7 L. Are there any kits available to do this? What components will I need to change (i.e. radiator, transmission (automatic now), motor mounts etc)? Is there a good crate engine for this swap I want to keep fuel injection. I am not looking to make a race car out of it the V6 has 200,000 miles and needs replaced.

black
    1993 Vette

the odds are the the switch will cost more than the differance between selling your car and buying a v8 model. But in answer to your question
    engine-your choice crate or rebuilt
    new radiator, trans, drive shaft, wiring harness, plumming for the cooling sys, motor mounts (mounting piont will probably have to be fabricated and welded to the frame), front suspension (springs/shocks since the v8 will be wiegh more) this swap will probably cost over 8k with a rebuilt L-98 and will varry heavily by what engine and trans combo you want. Plus I don't know if the stock rearend of your car will be adequate to handle the increased power and tourque.

2002 TA

Rear end because it wont

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i thought all maros and birds had the shity 10 bolt..or is that the 4th gen...or am i just wrong ?

black
    2002 WS6

first off I don't think,that there will be any cutting and welding as they came with V8 as well. The V6s are a smal block minus two cylinders pretty much. New motor mounts are a must, proper computer and matching harness, all the bit and peices from the cooling system, possibly a different driveshaft and tranny crossmemeber. The tranny will bolt right up to the motor. You will need the proper oil pan. Possibly new springs to match the weight but i doubt it. The best thing to do is fins a junked one that has the parts you nees and buy the whole thing, then scrap what you don't need. There is some diffs between the LT1 and regular 350 though so to besure on every thing get an LT1 heck an LS1 might even fit.

White
    1996 Camaro V-6

That is my thought Orcus79. While I am new to Camaros I am not new to the hobby and I was assuming since the 8 was an option that I wouldn't need to do alot of modifying. I just wasn't sure on the trans if it was the same with both the 6 and 8. I figure most of the holes will already be there for what ever mods might be necassary.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Trade It

Trade it and save a bundle not to mention the can of worms this mod could cause you. My opinion only of course.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Unless it has some sort of sentimental value, drive it til it dies or sell it.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I'd have to agree with the above. I'm just one of the many who wanted to swap a 6 for an 8, and after I started really looking, the used car lot looked a lot more enjoyable.

On a more cheery note, if you're going to swap, don't swap for an LT1 or an LS1, at least not one in stock form. I gaurantee it'll cost more to swap then to trade, so make sure that if you're dropping in a new motor, it can explain for itself why you chose that route. Can we say Forged 383 Stroker with a power adder?
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

steel blue
    1995Monte Carlo

I performed the same job you are thinking of. Actually I do it for a living. If you can do all the work yourself, then it may be economic for you to get a v8 car that way. Otherwise, follow everyones advice and sell it for an original v8 car because believe me, its no simple job, G.M. didnt make anything interchangeable with that car when it comes down to swapping in a v8. I ts not like an old pick up truck.

steel blue
    1995Monte Carlo

Ooops i meant they didnt make it where any of that v6 stuff is interchangeable with v8stuff, except for the tail-light harnesses, and those are different from 1993--1997 vs. 1998--2002

White
    1986 Z28 Camaro

I have a 86 camaro Z28 2.8L and want to swap to a 350 LS1 i've already done the suspension but i was just wondering what would be the best tranny to put with it, and also where the best place to get all the conversion info?

Pearl Green
    1997 Camaro

Looooooool

Hey guys just though i would let you know that you don't have to change everything look it up lol The RS camaro comes out with the same rear end the same auto tranny the Engine cradle is the same got to use dif mounts and of corse swap your wire harness and computer it does suck to do this swap i just recently done it to my 97 convertable Thanks to good old Wal-Mart for leavin my drain plug out of my v6 you will also have to change the front springs well you don't have to but it is recomended. So to sum it all up Yes the tranny will work Yes the rear end will work Yes drive shaft works and so does crossmember.No wire harness of course will not work and computer won't work NO motor mounts will not work either!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    first off I don't think,that there will be any cutting and welding as they came with V8 as well. The V6s are a smal block minus two cylinders pretty much. New motor mounts are a must, proper computer and matching harness, all the bit and peices from the cooling system, possibly a different driveshaft and tranny crossmemeber. The tranny will bolt right up to the motor. You will need the proper oil pan. Possibly new springs to match the weight but i doubt it. The best thing to do is fins a junked one that has the parts you nees and buy the whole thing, then scrap what you don't need. There is some diffs between the LT1 and regular 350 though so to besure on every thing get an LT1 heck an LS1 might even fit.
    That is the best thing to do, a wrecked lt1 or just the front clip. It is all the little parts that will nickel and dime you and you will have a car to refrence where everything goes.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

don't forget about the suspension... honestly price wise you're better off just buying a V8...

Thread Information