Thread: V6 to V8

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

V6 to V8

Hey right now im driving a V6 but im thinking about upgrading to the Z28, just a quick question about the Z28. How much of a gas difference is there before and after putting in a Z28 or have a big difference in the gas from the V6? Thank you

Awaiting Activation
    really not much difference if you can control yourself. If you get a M6 Z28 you will see a increase in highway mpgs. I have gotten 30. And 27-28 all the time.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Hey right now im driving a V6 but im thinking about upgrading to the Z28, just a quick question about the Z28. How much of a gas difference is there before and after putting in a Z28 or have a big difference in the gas from the V6? Thank you
    You will probably notice a drop of about 2 MPG in city driving, but highway fuel economy will be the same or better. Thats comparing manual to manual, with the auto is will probably be about the same with the V6 having the slight edge.

Basically the LS1 is a much more efficient engine than the V6, and it requires less throttle to do the same amount of work, resulting in similar fuel economy figures. With a stock geared LS1 and a 6 speed manaul, the LS1 will actually get much better fuel economy on the highway due to more low end power and a very tall (.50:1) double overdrive ratio.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Your biggest increase $ wise will be the cost of insurance

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Im not worried about the insurance so much, my main concern was the gas, so it doenst do to bad with a V8. I will probably end up getting a Z28 thx guys

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

get a manual, get a manual!! but that is just my opinion
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28 View Post
    get a manual, get a manual!! but that is just my opinion
    Good call, I agree

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    all depends on how you use your right foot...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Remeber you also need to run 92+ in the LS1.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Well 91 + octane--but yeah-I drove a V-6 car for 4 years-the last 5 years in a Z. Big difference in gas mileage around town. Big difference in power though also. The V-6 car is a blast-aside from the status difference-your better off driving and enjoying the V-6. Do some hop-ups and enjoy racing your import buds-they won't be as much fun to run with the Z-you'll be too fast foe 'em.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Do you think the price difference was worth it? and did you put an intake on V8 and if you did, did it help out much?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The price for upgrading to a Z? The Z-28 is like driving your V-6 car after Barry Bonds steroid injections. Same car ,same driving experience, just with a lot more power. So am I happy I did it? I wish I could've kept my 98 and bought the new 02 at the same time, but i couldn't afford it. The V-6 car for fun economical cruising, the V-8 car for the ultimate (IMHO) driving experience. FYI-with the V-6 car I noticed that for every grade in octane you increase it would increase your gas mileage 1-2 mpg. It also ran stronger too. I never tried going down in octane with my Z-28-and likely never will (but you could if you wanted to). But i think if you are that concerned with gas mileage-don't buy a high powered sports car. Buy you an economy car. I have a cool clear air filter lid-plenty of bling-no increase in gas mileage. I'm sure it did increase horsepower, but when you've already got over 300 it's a drop in the bucket increase. The 02's came with the LS6 intake manifold already there. At 16 years old-drive the V-6 for a little longer, not trying to sound like your dad, but you'll learn how to drive better with less. My suggestion, give it a year or two.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro

I used to own a v6 and it was an auto with 3.42s. It got worse gas milege then my auto z28 with 2.73s. I averaged abot 1-2 mpg more with my z28 being stock. The z28 is definetly worth it in my book.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well i have been driving for a long time just that im use to the imports and i love speed, i go racing on the dragstrips and occasionally the streets all the time. I just dont have the patients for the imports just too much work and alot of problems so im trying to move over to the muscle cars, the V6 is harder to mod up then the imports so im really thinking about just going with the V8

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

M6 mods in sig, I get 19.9 MPG city and 29+ on highway. It's all how YOU drive it.
    '00 Black Ram Air TA TR224/224 PRC 5.3 59cc Heads
    Pacesetter LT ORY Hooker CB 414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    BMR PHR, SFC,LCA & TM. Bilstein HD shocks 1LE FSB
    Firehawk Rims w/KDW Custom Headrests & Floormats

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

And where you drive it. The V-6 car gets lots better mileage around town (like about 8-10 mpg better in my experience). And I noticed that the imports will line up to run the V-6--you won't get that kind of action with the Z. You won't need to mod the Z alot to run the imports-it'll kick their butts stock. They just won't be bugging you nearly as much to run, or the 5.0 mistangs either. Your V-6 will beat alot of 5.0 and 4.6 also. You'll see if you make the switch. I had a 98 5 speed 3:42 positrac V-6 hardtop (my salesman called it a driver's car-I like that description). Your experiences may differ with a different set-up. And don't get me wrong-I love my Z, but don't knock the fun you can have w/the V-6.

Thread Information