DaGeneral

Two questions, one thread !!11one

Alright, so today I turned my car on and I heard a high pitched noise which was driving me nuts. But then I thought, it could be Piston Slap, but then again, I have NO clue on what it sounds like. When the temperature got up to normal the noise stopped. Is that what it was ?

Also, I bought 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic and Im not sure if that one of 10W-30 is the correct one to use ? ( I just bought the car) what do you guys suggest?

Thank You

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by DaGeneral
    Alright, so today I turned my car on and I heard a high pitched noise which was driving me nuts. But then I thought, it could be Piston Slap, but then again, I have NO clue on what it sounds like. When the temperature got up to normal the noise stopped. Is that what it was ?

Also, I bought 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic and Im not sure if that one of 10W-30 is the correct one to use ? ( I just bought the car) what do you guys suggest?

Thank You
    The high pitched sound could be the belt slipping due to either a worn belt or bad tensioner, idler pulley could need to be replaced or/lubed, could also be the A.I.R. pump showing signs of going out. The air pump injects fresh air into the exhaust manifolds during cold starts to help with emissions and is on the driverside under the headlight on a camaro...prob the same on a TA.

Either oil is fine..they're both 30 weight. The diff between 5w and 10w is very slight...i think 5w is like 59 cst and 10w is 66 cst.

EDIT: As far as piston slap...it sounds like metal slapping metal really fast, and goes away when the engine warms up because metal expands when hot and the piston fits the cylinder better.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 03-07-2006 at 08:42 PM.

DaGeneral
    Crap, I just remembered something... Could the Serpentine belt cause this ? It was recommended by my mechanic that I change it soon. He said it was beginning to show signs of wear.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Yes

White
    98 Trans AM

If after changing the belt you still hear that noise it probably is one of the tensioner pulleys. I had the same type of thing where I changed belts and still had an annoying whine noise and it turned out to be the A/C tensioner pulley.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Does it sound like a vacuum cleaner? That's a normal air pump sound if it does.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by DaGeneral
    Crap, I just remembered something... Could the Serpentine belt cause this ? It was recommended by my mechanic that I change it soon. He said it was beginning to show signs of wear.
    Did you not see my other post? Yes the belts can cause it...there's 2 belts, i'd change them both
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 03-08-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Take a water hose and spray a little on the belt while its running, and it is not squealing. If it starts making noise, then replace your belts. Bad belts on those LS1's are real sensitive to moisture. They start making a serious racket when it rains or after washing your car. Or, take the belt off and bend it, look for cracks. If you see any, replace your belts.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388
    If after changing the belt you still hear that noise it probably is one of the tensioner pulleys. I had the same type of thing where I changed belts and still had an annoying whine noise and it turned out to be the A/C tensioner pulley.
    • get new belts
    • take the old belts off, then start the car for just long enough to hear that the noise is gone
    • put the belts on one at a time to see if the noise comes back

Chances are, new belts will fix it. If not, you'll eliminate a few things by doing it as stated above.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

black
    2002 WS6

I doubt its the belts, it would be an extreamly lound squeal and won't go away when the engine reaches proper operating temperature. My 02 has tha same sound, when the engine warms up it snaps away, to use an audio term there is no fade. Like there is an electric clutch relaesing much like the a/c clutch does. It sounds like a low volume vacuum motor or a supercharger whistle. Nothing indicates a problem. Is there any modification or filter in the A.I.R. system that would cause this?

99 Firebird Formula

It is the air pump and it is completely normal. It turns off after the car has reached a certain temperature...it's main purpose is to heat the cats when the car is cold in order to enable proper catalytic converter operation.

Thread Information