Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Turn Signal Problems

I need help on this problem. My right turn signal freezes when I turn it on ( The arrow + the lights just stay lit, and they don't blink) When I turn my left ones on they work perfectly. The turn signal was working earlier during the day, but then towards the later evening it stopped working when I was driving around. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thank you..

Black
    1998 Z/28

check ur front and rear turnsignal bulbs, when the turn signal just freezes, its letting u know that 1 of the bulbs are out.
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

red
    1999 camaro Z28

turn signal problem

He's right - a real quick way to find out which bulb it is, is by turning on the emergency flashers - they work on a different circuit and the good lights will all flash normally.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

had the same problem. one of your bulbs is out. my front running light was out, the easy way to check it is if it's not on while the car is. getting to the light is a bitch, some people take out the headlights and get to it from the top, while I went from the bottom. there's some plastic covering the bottom of the car, and I just unbolted some of it and reached up and found the light socket. once you get the new bulb in, it'll work fine.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Just replaced mine on 98z and both front, 1157's i think, were bad but the parking lights worked. I checked by turning the key switch on and then checked both turning directions. The signal came on in the inside but didn't blink, both back turning signal would come on and not blink but the fronts never did anything when turned to the respective side. I went through the bottom plastic but becareful, my car is nearly 10 years old and some of the bolts on passenger side were rusted together. If you start to loosen one and it becomes hard to turn and twists becareful, because it will rip the modeling and/or bumper.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Alright it is the front right hand turn signal light ( if your sitting in the drivers seat) I have read previous posts on this problem, and found out that both turn signal lens' are cracked/chipped. Do you think I will have to replace the sockets along with the bulbs/lens? and btw where do you buy the bulbs/sockets/lens' from?

Black
    1998 Z/28

bulb- any autoparts store, socket and lens- either a local junkyard or the dealer.

black
    02 z28 vert M6

yeah my fuse keeps blowing, haha and i have no turn signal or "auto lights" haha i feel ur pain!
    any help?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

You could have another problem. The signal stopped working on my car and when I took the bulb out I discovered it was still good. But what happens is moisture builds up in the socket and shorts it so it doesnt work for a while. After a few days it works again. The only thing you can do aside from replcing the entire turn signal and lens is go to an auto parts store and get a tube of grease. Not sure what its called but its for light builbs and electrical connections. It helps keep the moisture out. A tube of it is about 8 bucks or some stores have small packs of it for a dollar.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by First Spray777 View Post
    yeah my fuse keeps blowing, haha and i have no turn signal or "auto lights" haha i feel ur pain!
    any help?
    I had same problem on a Z71 and I had a short (naked wire) that would cause fuse to blow shortly after replacing fuse. After about 10 fuses @ 1 dollar a piece I found the worn naked wire and taped it up, since then no problems at all in 5 years. Hope this might shed some light for you.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by chaosinfinite View Post
    Alright it is the front right hand turn signal light ( if your sitting in the drivers seat) I have read previous posts on this problem, and found out that both turn signal lens' are cracked/chipped. Do you think I will have to replace the sockets along with the bulbs/lens? and btw where do you buy the bulbs/sockets/lens' from?
    As others have said, auto parts stores or wal-mart will have this bulbs. As far as the lens etc, ebay or junk yard would be a good bet. I found a place in Tennessee called Tennessee Auto, in cleveland tennesse that has just about any used 93 and up camaro or trans part. http://stores.ebay.com/Tennessee-Auto. I have been to there shop and they have a warehouse of used parts.

Also there should be grease in the lamp socket, just don't clean it out when replacing bulb. I wouldn't think the socket is bad unless it has been or gets damaged when replacing the bulb. If the socket has no grease be sure and get some before replacing. If it was mine I would go ahead and replace the other side while your at it and the bulbs come in a 2 pack!!

Pewter
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

One of the factors that can atribute to this problem is the globe that houses the bulb can become cracked. While driving in the rain with the cracked globe, water gets in the globe and causes the bulb to break (Ever see the McGyver episode where he made a light bulb explode by squiting it with water? Same Principal). I've replaced the bulbes nearly half a dozen times and replaced both globes, but they're up for it again. Getting to them from underneath the car is definitely the easiest. You'd think someone would design a type of plastic guard for them, made of plexiglass or something.
    WS6DREW

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

lol what everybody else said

Im going to tag along with this thread, because Im having the same problem. My left turn signal is doing the solid green indicator light thing, and we replaced the bulb, but the socket is all burned looking and misshaped. It worked for about 30 mins of use, then froze up again, so I suppose the socket needs replacing. Anyone know what the part number is? Or where to get one?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

they are just low on turn signal fluid... couldn't resist...

replaced the socket with Autozone part number 85881. Works like a charm. Was only 9 dollars at autozone, and be sure to get the correct bulb.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

yep its a bulb mine did the same exact thing,but its very easy to change
    2006 IBM GTO A4
    20% sides/rear 35% Windshield,SAP Repos,Ruff 278s Staggered 18s,LT's,Catless mids,Spintech Mufflers/X pipe,Torquer v.2,Vig3200 Stall,HPTuned,AEM CAI,SLP Thermostat,IAT relocate,BMR Drag bags, P4000DVD HU.

2000 TA WS6 NBM A4 Full Bolt-Ons-Gone

Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Mine does this - I know what the problem is but how do you get to the &*^%ing thing without taking everything apart? I took off the brace on the top but still can't reach it. I didn't see a plastic piece on the bottom that comes off but will look again.

Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Got them. There is a piece of plastic that comes off from the bottom; then you have to work from feel.

Gray
    1998 Trans Am

I tried to get the turn signal socket from GM .. it was $85 ---flop -- thanks for the 85881 part number .. I will try it .. I guess to change the socket there is no other way than to cut cables and patch the new ones .. right?

Thread Information