BlacK
    2001 WS6

Turn signal problem

Weird, first my right blinker stops flashin, left was ok, figured a bulb had burnt out, but when the daytime runnin lights are on, they are both on, but then if I turned the parking lights on, the right side went out, but then, on the way to work earlier, I had no left blinker either, and now the left side won't light up, but the right side does, I'm like WTF???

There IS condensation on the front of both lenses, don't know if it has anything to do with it. Is it common to have condensation there? Should I take out the lenses and try to seal them with silicone?

So now I am blinkerless, and have bought two replacement bulbs I'm not even sure if I need.

Any suggestions guys?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would pull those sockets and check them. Moisture has probably corroded those sockets. Might be a good idea to check all the sockets.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

I think your right, condensation there is giving a big hint. Will pull 'em and check 'em in the mornin.
    If it's just condensation I guess it'll happen, but I'm wondering if I'm getting water in there when I wash it.
    I don't see any water on the bottom of the lens though, but then it's hard to see if there's water resting on the bottom inside. What I can see is water drops all over the inside of the face of the lens.

Damn...I shoulda picked up some bulb grease while I was at the auto parts store, shoulda went to Auto Zone, they always have that stuff sittin right there on the counter, was pressed for time though.

If I take the turn signal housing out, does the front of the lens come off?
    I hate the idea of water drying inside there cloudin it all up. Would like to clean it out and seal it up.

White
    98 Trans AM

This besides the damn flip up headlights are one of my "Other" issues with my car. As was mentioned moisture gets into the housing and then the sockets corrode. What I did that I must say I like is I bought the new socket which has longer cable leads so you can actually take the socket out and see it when changing bulbs. Anyway, once I got those in I used the electrical grease and so far so good.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Old man with an F-Body!!! Kajun Taz's Avatar

Red/Neutral(tan)
    '02 WS6/K&N airfilter.

A couple of days after I had gotten my T/A, I got pulled over at an intersection for non working front signal lights.... They were working when I picked up the car at the dealers' lot, so I Figured I'd change the bulbs and be done.... WRONG!!!!
    3 days in the repair shop & $756.00 later, I now have new complete front lights, signals, markers, wiring harness, fixtures, etc. It seems the old leaking seals allowed water to enter the light fixtures and really do a number on the bulbs, sockets, and wiring. Dealer ate most of the cost, so I actually only paid $150.00 of it, but it seems that this is a common problem with vehicles, as the socket sits on the under side of the fixture and is right in the spray-line of anything the tires throw, whether it be rain, snow, mud, rocks, etc., so I'll check them from time to time and clean, re-grease, maintain them all as needed!
    PROUD father of a United States Marine.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Pulled out the sockets and when I did all this water came a' rollin down.

How many years they makin cars and they can't figure out how to make a lens water tight?

Well, the inside is all clouded up from dried up water, it has cracks on the inside that don't come through to the outside (don't ask me how)

I through a new bulb in turned on the blinker and it worked, so I guess I don't need new sockets or a flasher. I just ordered new lens assemblies though. I'll seal 'em myself before installin 'em.

Want to get LED bulbs for 'em too.

Anyone know if it's a law that your turn signal has to be amber???
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-06-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

How much does a new socket cost? I have the same problem. I had a crack in my lense, and water got in. I sealed it with silicon temperarily, which was a bad idea, and now the socked is completly corroded. I just bought a new lense and housing, do I need to buy a socket too? Where would I get one and how much does it cost to have it put in?

Red
    2002 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by NJ2002WS.6 View Post
    How much does a new socket cost? I have the same problem. I had a crack in my lense, and water got in. I sealed it with silicon temperarily, which was a bad idea, and now the socked is completly corroded. I just bought a new lense and housing, do I need to buy a socket too? Where would I get one and how much does it cost to have it put in?
    You can sometimes salvage the wiring even if the connector is all corroded.
    I got mine at a scrap yard. Just make sure the little wedge connector in the middle is not rotted out. If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I did this because my repair has held up for so long, you can use a small pick tool to disengage the pins in the connector. This way only the old connector and wedge terminals slide off and you can reuse the existing wires and terminals. If your terminals(the pins on the end of your wires) are corroded badly also then you're gonna need a new pigtail or your gonna have to solder a used pigtail from a scrapyard.
    Read below.
    I had probs w/both front turn signal lenses. They cracked and let moisture and rain in and constantly blew my bulbs out. I would just replace bulbs evertime my turn signal would stop flashing. Turn signals stop flashing due to the reduced current flow from blown bulbs in the circuit, but that's for a different post. One day I replaced what I thought was a burned out bulb. It turns out that the pigtail connector was corroded beyond repair. So I replaced it and the lenses with aftermarket OEM lenses (OE ones cracked after six months new ones going strong after 3+ yrs) to keep the water out. Long story short. Replace bulbs, check all lenses and bulb housings for cracks or leaks, replace corroded connectors and get rid of that crappy GM flasher and get an electronic flasher from Autozone($8-$9). Unless your procifient with a multimeter and can check for voltage drops and the like I would start with these small repairs that won't brake the bank.
    My .02

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Ok, sounds good. I think that the whole thing is just completly corroded. I cleaned it out, put bulbs in...and poff they were out again. How much would it cost to have a Goodyear or whatever install a new socket? I can buy the socked online.

Red
    2002 T/A

Ask a local electrical shop. Two new pigtails for front turn signals. Remember to fix the root cause if water is getting into the housing you should consider fixing that first

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Ok Thank you! I appriciate it!

Thread Information