Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Turn Signal Issues

I have a 99 trans am WS6. I have recently decided to do a few cosmetic updates like switching out the OEM headlight for HIDs, Changing the fog light out for some with halos, and then swapping out turn signal housing as they seem to crack and leak.

My problem is that my passenger side turn signal light will not blink if my headlights are on. Yes the driver side blinks properly with or with out the headlight on. Also the rear turn signals all work just fine. And before anyone says "its your bulb" I installed brand new plugs and brand new Sylvania ZEVO LED bulbs. Also the turn signal works with DTRs and with the fog lights on. When the head lights are on the DTR will be on but will shut off once the turn signal is used then it goes completely off. The only way to get the light to turn back on is to shut the car off completely and turn it back on(power cycle).

My thoughts are to replace the flasher but all my other signals work just fine but it could still be that as the OEM flash is thermal and if it doesn't get enough current it doesn't operate properly. New flashers are electronic, the down side is they don't indicate if a bulb is blown out. My other thought is a new DLR module.

Any one have any ideas, I cant find any threads about this exact problem.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Have you used resisters on the wires for the signal wires?

Black

No I have not

Navy Blue Metallic

Some LED's require resistors to work properly.

When I did my HID/LED conversion I have a resistor on each LED that acts as a flasher/DRL and brake lights.

Here's a help thread that I did on it. Bad news is Photobucket are assholes and have my pics hostage. Good news is I'm down loading them and loading them up in another photo share site. It will take some time because I have a lot of help thread pics to download. If you see a section that you need a pic on let me know and I'll try to get it for you.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-bri...id-led-185822/

Here's our tech help sticky threads that other members have done.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/technic...tickies-79083/
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black

Did you put resisters inline with your front LED turn signals? What resistance did you use? Im not sure why one side would work fine and the other not. Im stumped as to why the headlights have anything to do with turn signals.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes I did.

Here is a pic of the ones I used on the brake and rear turn signal lights.

Resistors Amazon $4.49 (4 in a box, I ordered 3 boxes so I had spares)

4PCS 25W 8Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights

https://www.amazon.com/CUTEQUEEN-TRADING-Resistors-License-Cancellor/dp/B00JIJ99OM/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1467208725&sr= 1-3&keywords=load+resistor+25w+fix+led+bulb

Navy Blue Metallic

With LED's they work on a lower voltage over standard bulbs. The Resistors cut the voltage down, you only need them on the turn signal 12+ volt wire. The DRL's are a constant 12 volts, while the flasher wire will spike from 0 to 12 volts when the turn signal is activated. You'll need a multi-meter to figure out which one it is.

Another issue is most LED's are single polarity, unlike standard bulbs that are dual polarity. Meaning they work only one specific way. If you don't see them flashing correctly, swap the bulb 180*.

Thread Information