Silver
    1998 Pontiac TransAm

Turn signal help

I tried a search but no luck...I change all my exterior bulb light to LEDs.
    Switchbacks in the front& installed two EL 12 After the install I checked & all lights & signals working great. A couple of days later My signals dont work anymore. The green arrow lights up but does not flash..( Like a bulb would be out ). I checked and all lights are working . The signals will not flash. Anyone have any ideas?

Thx

Rik

Black
    02 SS #8719

Mine don't even flash, I flip the turn indicator, nothing. hazards work though? Sorry to jack your thread, I'm interested is hearing about this too.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

The LED bulbs do not use enough electricity to make the flasher work. As far as the flasher is concerned, you have a burned out bulb. You need a flasher designed for the LED bulbs. Go here: http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECHNOLOGY
    Then scroll down to "LED bulb turn signal flasher hazard relay load resistor".

The flasher will work.
    JEB

Silver
    1998 Pontiac TransAm

I got my flasher to work.. I had to remove the LED bulbs I had in the tail lights and put back in my original bulbs. All my other LEDs work fine. WHen I replace 1 bulb in the tail light with a LED , my signal will not work ...

Silver
    1998 Pontiac TransAm

I using the EL 12 triden Flashers

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

As I stated. You will have to have a flasher designed to flash LED bulbs. A regular flasher will not work with LED bulbs.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by SScott View Post
    Mine don't even flash, I flip the turn indicator, nothing. hazards work though? Sorry to jack your thread, I'm interested is hearing about this too.
    you need a new flasher. 8 bucks at autozone and you will be fine

I also recently ran into this problem when replacing a blown DRL lamp - decided I should swap my bright yellow LED bulbs in. I tried buying the EL12 - doesn't work. Factory flasher - doesn't work.

I then bought an "LED Flasher" module - which also resulted in the same solid non-flashing setup. I have not yet gotten the model that JEB suggested above, but looking at it in the listing, I'm feeling a lot more confident about that unit getting the job done. I'll be ordering it up this weekend (because I also do not wish to use load resistors on each bulb), and hopefully that will take care of the problem.

If it doesn't, I may have to wire up my own unit to fill the role, with a secondary power ciruit and a relay that just triggers regularly. I dont look forward to that idea, but its better than load resistors.

Makes me wonder, though - why do all these sites list using a load on each bulb? Why not apply the load directly between the flasher and the rest of the circuit?
    --edited--

Okay, I'd like to apologize to the folks giving good advice. It turns out that I am in fact a bit retarded when it comes to my own car. I've been fighting with it for so long, I didn't realize until today that I'd been muckin' about with the hazard flasher unit. This means I've wasted a good 20-30 bucks on flashers I didnt need to "fix" my problem, the original EL12 that I bought works just fine - now that it's in the proper #@! socket. On the RIGHT SIDE under the dash instead of the left.

I hope I never have to deal with that again.
    Last edited by Ilhares; 08-26-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Thread Information