Thread: Turn signal?

Bright Metallic Purple
    1998 Trans Am

Turn signal?

my driver side turn signal comes on and stays on. doesnt blink just stays on until i turn it back off. burnt bulb, bad fuse maybe? usually they blink fast when one goes out. idk ill check it out. let me know any suggestions

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

the arrow on the dash comes on stays on? burnt bulb. try turning your hazards on and walking around the car to see which one is bad

I've never heard of f-bodys blinking fast when they burn out, we did have a ford truck that did that though

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    the arrow on the dash comes on stays on? burnt bulb. try turning your hazards on and walking around the car to see which one is bad

I've never heard of f-bodys blinking fast when they burn out, we did have a ford truck that did that though
    Yea your right, cause mine just went out recently and it stay's solid, even my old firebird did the same thing!!

white
    1998 Trans Am

mines been doing that also.. but i bought new bulbs and the driver side still does stays solid sometimes.. i wiggle where the wires go into the bulb housing and it works for awhile.. so i need a new plug.. i read on here that the bulb housings are horrible because of the location and getting wet when it rains.. so i will be replacing the lens, bulb housing, and maybe wrap the wires in some sort of protection so maybe they will last longer

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ws6ben View Post
    mines been doing that also.. but i bought new bulbs and the driver side still does stays solid sometimes.. i wiggle where the wires go into the bulb housing and it works for awhile.. so i need a new plug.. i read on here that the bulb housings are horrible because of the location and getting wet when it rains.. so i will be replacing the lens, bulb housing, and maybe wrap the wires in some sort of protection so maybe they will last longer
    sounds stupid, but drill some 1/4 - 1/8 inch holes on the bottom of each drl housing. heres what mine looks like, no condensation, pooled water, and most importantly, no rusty bulb socket:

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If are getting rust the best thing is get a new gasket and replace the plug. The other issue with our plugs is that the get damage because of the excessive heat of DRL. I unplug my DRL and I haven't had anymore issues with the plugs anymore.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApeTA View Post
    my driver side turn signal comes on and stays on. doesnt blink just stays on until i turn it back off. burnt bulb, bad fuse maybe? usually they blink fast when one goes out. idk ill check it out. let me know any suggestions
    And if all the bulbs check out ok, then you have a bad flasher.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    sounds stupid, but drill some 1/4 - 1/8 inch holes on the bottom of each drl housing. heres what mine looks like, no condensation, pooled water, and most importantly, no rusty bulb socket:

Click for full size
    now i havent really looked into taking the houseing out...does it just pop out of the front or do you have to take the plastic off of the bottom of the bumper to get it out?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you have to jack the car up and underneath the turn signal area you will see a plastic door area in the plastic cover. Loose the two 10mm bolts and you get access behind the turn signal housing. The housing is hold by 2 bolt screws ( the screws are on the back/rear of the housing) to the bumper cover. If i remember right they are 8mm bolts, just take the 2 screws out and get the light socket out. Then remove the light housing by lifting it from inside and take it out from the underneath the bumper access door.

white
    1998 Trans Am

ok.. thanks.. i have a friend that is has a mechanic shop so i think using his lift will be a better way instead of jacking up the car.. i just dont trust jacks...lol.. maybe its too many movies ive seen... i get nervous when im under a jacked up car..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ws6ben View Post
    ok.. thanks.. i have a friend that is has a mechanic shop so i think using his lift will be a better way instead of jacking up the car.. i just dont trust jacks...lol.. maybe its too many movies ive seen... i get nervous when im under a jacked up car..
    If you have jacks stands you don't have to worry about the jack failling. that is of course if you put the jack stands correctly...

But if you can use the lift go for it. You just need to lift enough to get your hand comfortable in there.

white
    1998 Trans Am

i dont have jack stands.. i may get some, but as long as i can use a lift, i will go that way for now

Bright Metallic Purple
    1998 Trans Am

Aight guys I appreciate the help. Gonna replCe the bulb today and hopefully that's all it was

1998 Trans Am

you don't have to jack/lift the car up to take the drls out...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well i can't is uncomfortable to do it. So I always lift it up some to get some room. He's talking about the getting the whole turn signal out not just the bulb.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    well i can't is uncomfortable to do it. So I always lift it up some to get some room. He's talking about the getting the whole turn signal out not just the bulb.
    I know, I've done it, three times on two cars, bothering to lift it never crossed my mind

Thread Information