Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo ls1 build

black
    01 ss m6

turbo ls1 build

im currently in Iraq, but when i come home i will be purchasing a 00-02 camaro m6. i want to run a stock displacement ls1 with 317 casting heads. this is a front mount turbo set up. i need to know what is the best intake to use with this set up. i know what cam dimensions i want to use and all that. the bottom end will be rebuilt and the stock slugs will be replaced as well as the rods. im pretty sure the stock crank will be good for 10 psi of boost. thats as much as i want to run. any ideas or suggestions of this build would also be great. if anyone has ran a similar setup, how did you run the exhaust to the turbo and what about the radiator setup. also should a set of ported 317 heads breathe good enough for 6500 rpms? this is the optimum shift point im looking for.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Welcome, and as far as the turbos go you are probably going to have to run a similar set up as the STS systems since there is no room under the hood of our ls1 cars unless you relocate a bunch of the stuff like the battery and ASR module

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    Welcome, and as far as the turbos go you are probably going to have to run a similar set up as the STS systems since there is no room under the hood of our ls1 cars unless you relocate a bunch of the stuff like the battery and ASR module
    There is plenty of room under the hood, you can buy a $180 dollar radiator and mount it vertical and all the room you need but you still don't have to do that.

I have a kit for sale also.

And as far as intakes go a LS6 with stock TB works great

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

What kind of kit and how much?

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

black
    01 ss m6

yea i dont wanna run a sts system.. what are the best exhaust manifolds for a turbo set up and i wanted about a 70mm turbo. whats the best 70-ish mm turbo? i want to drive it like a civilized person, but with power on tap when i need it.. you know. and as far as the throttle body size i figured i wanted a little bigger than stock. 85-90 mm. gas mileage is out of the question. i really dont care too much about that since ill be adding 4.10s asap. anybody know if the weiand intakes are any good? they are advertising gains just like the fast intake gains. oh and as far as valvetrain, ill be looking into a custom grind cam with 560ish lift and a 120ish LSA so whats the best valvetrain to run with a boost set up with no more than 6700 rpm?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Are you sure you want to run that low of a gear with FI? I always thought a higher gear would be better such as a 3.73.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by turbols1317 View Post
    yea i dont wanna run a sts system.. what are the best exhaust manifolds for a turbo set up and i wanted about a 70mm turbo. whats the best 70-ish mm turbo? i want to drive it like a civilized person, but with power on tap when i need it.. you know. and as far as the throttle body size i figured i wanted a little bigger than stock. 85-90 mm. gas mileage is out of the question. i really dont care too much about that since ill be adding 4.10s asap. anybody know if the weiand intakes are any good? they are advertising gains just like the fast intake gains. oh and as far as valvetrain, ill be looking into a custom grind cam with 560ish lift and a 120ish LSA so whats the best valvetrain to run with a boost set up with no more than 6700 rpm?
    The ls6 w/ stock tb has made over 1000 rwhp. You don't need the aftermarket units when you are forcing air into the motor.

Get at at least a 76mm, a master power will be the cheapest. A Turbonetics tc76 or tc78 are compact easy to fit and will make 1k+ fwhp.

I would't run over 3.73s. Most people run from 2.73 to 3.50 gears.

Also you don't need a custom ground cam, if your on a budget an ls6 cam works well for boost. I am actually ordered a off the shelf cam to try over my custom grind. Dual coil valve springs are good insurance against valve float.

An awesome thing about turbos is that when your out of boost its like their no there, Last time I checked I still was getting over 20 mpg while making over 700hp. Just drive normal without getting on it (which is hard).

black
    01 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Are you sure you want to run that low of a gear with FI? I always thought a higher gear would be better such as a 3.73.
    well i am partially still a ford man but they say if you cant beat them join them... i also have a 88 mustang gt with a built 306 and i love my 410s... plus i have a buddy with a 2000 ss and he has 410s and they are nice too.. yea a 3.73 would probably be a little better as far as traction and gas mileage but ive driven every gear from a 2.87 to a 4.10 and of course i like the 4.10s the best. i havent driven anything over 600 horsepower either though so i guess ill be hard-headed and still go with a 4.10. i wont be doing much drag racing but where im from aint many cops and roll racing is the dominant racing type....

black
    01 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by craz1469 View Post
    The ls6 w/ stock tb has made over 1000 rwhp. You don't need the aftermarket units when you are forcing air into the motor.

Get at at least a 76mm, a master power will be the cheapest. A Turbonetics tc76 or tc78 are compact easy to fit and will make 1k+ fwhp.

I would't run over 3.73s. Most people run from 2.73 to 3.50 gears.

Also you don't need a custom ground cam, if your on a budget an ls6 cam works well for boost. I am actually ordered a off the shelf cam to try over my custom grind. Dual coil valve springs are good insurance against valve float.

An awesome thing about turbos is that when your out of boost its like their no there, Last time I checked I still was getting over 20 mpg while making over 700hp. Just drive normal without getting on it (which is hard).
    how big is a stock ls6 tb? im only looking for around 560ish rwhp so i figure i really wouldnt need that big of a turbo. as far as turbonetics, ive heard a lot of bad things about their turbos. i wanted a garrett turbo. and as far as the custom grind, the zr1 cam has a nice smooth idle, makes good power, and the specs are what i was wanting out of a cam. so i figured a custom grind with specs as close as possible to the zr1 cam would be perfect. im on a budget but not a tight budget. i have nothing better to do but dump my money into this car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

well i am partially still a ford man but they say if you cant beat them join them... i also have a 88 mustang gt with a built 306 and i love my 410s... plus i have a buddy with a 2000 ss and he has 410s and they are nice too.. yea a 3.73 would probably be a little better as far as traction and gas mileage but ive driven every gear from a 2.87 to a 4.10 and of course i like the 4.10s the best. i havent driven anything over 600 horsepower either though so i guess ill be hard-headed and still go with a 4.10. i wont be doing much drag racing but where im from aint many cops and roll racing is the dominant racing type....
    I have a 4.11 gear so I know what you mean....

BUT...have you had a 4.11 gear with FI?

black
    01 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have a 4.11 gear so I know what you mean....

BUT...have you had a 4.11 gear with FI?
    lol.. nope. i figure ill have to fight it a bit with the first 2 gears.. if i can punch it in 3rd from a 50 roll without spinning them i figure i will be able to live with them. if i cant then ill go to 3.73s but i aint going lower than that

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

lol.. nope. i figure ill have to fight it a bit with the first 2 gears.. if i can punch it in 3rd from a 50 roll without spinning them i figure i will be able to live with them. if i cant then ill go to 3.73s but i aint going lower than that
    I am just going to throw this out there, but my guess is that you will regret having that low of a gear with FI.

You are going to be going through the gears way too quick. I personally think you will get more use of your entire power band with a 3.73 gear.

Lower gears such as 410/411/456 are typically more useful with NA cars that are either stock or have an aftermarket cam.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I've been in a turbo V8 mustang with 4.10s. All the car did in first gear was instantly hit redline, shift, instantly hit redline, shift, fall flat on its face for second (seemed like forever) because it lacked load to build boost then it took off. All my buddy did was complain about.
    Then he switched to 3.55s or something. Now the car flys!!
    you've been warned

black
    01 ss m6

lol... ok, ok then. yall have persuaded me to go with 3.73s... anyways does anybody have any more good info on my build?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

i think turbocharge is nice.. i love the sound..
    but how much is usually the turbo set up??
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

black
    01 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    i think turbocharge is nice.. i love the sound..
    but how much is usually the turbo set up??
    depends.. im trying to go as cheap as possible.. ill probably still end up looking at a nice little amount of money once im done. let me start adding up the costs then ill get a round about figure. i wanna go with a custom catted y and borla xr-1s for the exhaust though. and a qtp cutout. i want it 100% sleeper until boost comes into the equation

red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Don't forget about your friend Mr. 10bolt, he is not going to like an FI M6 car at all and he will surely let you know that if you run drag radials or take it to the strip

black
    01 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by pulaski_ls1 View Post
    Don't forget about your friend Mr. 10bolt, he is not going to like an FI M6 car at all and he will surely let you know that if you run drag radials or take it to the strip
    thats probably the first thing im replacing... a dana s60 will be going into it. ill be running 315s too.

black
    01 ss m6

oh yea what are the minimum suspension upgrades i need? i will be getting SFC's, RCA's, PHB, and lowering the front. do i need aftermarket torque arms? i will only be taking it to the track probably once. i like drag racing but i want to drive this car civilized and keep my reputation low. and what are the best brands for suspension for my application?

Thread Information