Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

Tune-up $1.2K on a '99 Z28?

Hi all,

Local dealer and one reputable shop quoted me $1K to $1.2K for a full tune-up on a '99 Z28 with 105K miles. Is that the going rate? Some places quoted me less, but I don't trust them. Something about the last two plugs taking umptillion labor hours to pull on an LS1.

I have the SES light coming on intermittently and some funky idle every now and then, and I have a CA emissions test coming up.

Do I take it to the dealer and pay up? I love this car, so any advice would be welcome. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

That sounds a bit outrageous, but I've honestly never gotten a quote before since I do all my own work. Exactly what could you possibly get for $1200??? Anyone who has done it before can get at all 8 plugs in an hour.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Damn, thats alot.. I got quoted by a dealer 500 to take the motor out and put a new one in. They have to drop the whole suspention to bring the motor out its alot of work.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

That is insane! What exactly is included with this "tune-up"? A new cam?

Yikes! Get the code read and post it if you're worried about inspection, plugs are a pain but only #8 is hard.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by MadBulgarian View Post
    Hi all,

Local dealer and one reputable shop quoted me $1K to $1.2K for a full tune-up on a '99 Z28 with 105K miles. Is that the going rate? Some places quoted me less, but I don't trust them. Something about the last two plugs taking umptillion labor hours to pull on an LS1.

I have the SES light coming on intermittently and some funky idle every now and then, and I have a CA emissions test coming up.

Do I take it to the dealer and pay up? I love this car, so any advice would be welcome. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks!
    Total thing should be around $350-$400 with parts. They are wanting to butt rape you. Period.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

u serious $1200?? You can change the plugs and wires in ur driveway. For $1200 u can have a shop swap a cam in for you. Along with lifter, seats, seals, locks, retainers, etc... And still have $ left over.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I was quoted around $800 for a full tune-up. But that includes getting to and replacing that pesky optispark. But that's on an LT1, not an LS1. And LS1 shouldn't be more expensive. Sounds like they want to bend you over dude.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I was quoted around $800 for a full tune-up. But that includes getting to and replacing that pesky optispark. But that's on an LT1, not an LS1. And LS1 shouldn't be more expensive. Sounds like they want to bend you over dude.
    Yup....I would believe that with a total Opti replacement.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

well i can believe it if its a gm dealer.They charged me 800 for the fuel pump and 200 to install it,300 for the fuel rail,120 for wires,100 for plugs,1200 for injectors.labor to install the plugs,wires and injectors was 600.3600 dollar tune up.two months later cost me 500 to replace the fuel lines.but i didn't go back to the same dealer because they quoted me near 1000 to replace the fuel lines.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

My shop in B.R. only charged me 280, and that was with the parts. Had to let the car cool down, and the mechanic took just under an hour.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'll do it for you for $600.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I'll find out what book time states for total hours tomarrow. Call the dealer back and ask what there labor rate is and we'll see if there just not giving you any vasoline.......
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they're on crack. time to buy a haynes manual and some tools.

Camaro

Book time for a minor tune up is 3.9 HRS add .3 HRS for a/c and .2 HRS for air injection. Depending on the labor rate the dealer charges your looking at $330.00 to $440.00 plus parts. (Times are from the Mitchell Flat rate guide.)

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

Hey, thanks guys - I didn't expect so many great replies so quickly.

What gets me is that these places won't even give me a straight quote - they mumble something about how hard it is and then just keep jacking up the price.

And if I call on the phone I get a different quote than if I show up in person. "Well, it could be this... or it could be that..."

LS1Z28 - Do you know what the book time is for a major tune-up? And someone on another thread said that changing the wires is a waste of money - is that true?

Inmy01TA - I just might drive back to Maryland and take you up on the offer... I drove my old red '85 Z28 from Baltimore to California back in '87.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If you're still on stock wires it's not a bad idea to change them out. Why not just do the work yourself. Don't let people intimidate you. It's not a hard job, just a little time consuming your first time getting the #8 plug. You really only have to take out a few bolts to do it all. Do you any wrench experience at all and a socket set? It's a very easy job. Check some local clubs, I'm sure there's someone out that way that'll do it for you waaay cheaper than you've been quoted.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Total thing should be around $350-$400 with parts. They are wanting to butt rape you. Period.
    I agree....fluids,plugs,wires,filters[air,fuel]....rotate tires i guess...you can do that yourself....just go slow and don't get excited.........injector cleaning??? go to mr.lube or somewhere like that for 100$ or so...if u get good stuff..might cost u 5-6oo i would imagine...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

i know a pontiac dealer quoted about 800$ for a tune up around here which included plugs/wrires, lof, tranny service, replace coolant, air filter, fuel filter, replace PCV vaule.... damn now that im typing all this im realizing i can do all this myself for alot less....
    i think u should get the parts and do it urself, save the money. im sure u can do it

"book time" for a major tune up should be like 3.5-4 hrs *im thinking*

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBulgarian View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    I assume that's with the KY thrown in????

Thread Information