Thread: Trans. Rebuild

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Exclamation Trans. Rebuild

OK so my A4 is shot, all gears.......I am gonna have a rebuild done by a shop near me. The car has a tune and some bolt ons, no nitrous........What do you guys suggest I have put in the transmission. They said they can do whatever I want. Its a street car so I still want it to be drivable but would like to upgrade th stall etc. What should I do.....thanks.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Anyone!??

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    OK so my A4 is shot, all gears.......I am gonna have a rebuild done by a shop near me. The car has a tune and some bolt ons, no nitrous........What do you guys suggest I have put in the transmission. They said they can do whatever I want. Its a street car so I still want it to be drivable but would like to upgrade th stall etc. What should I do.....thanks.
    well... have them gear it for what ever rear gears and stall you got so that you get the most out of it... a stall is going to suck up a bit of gas milage.. but make MAJOR improvements in acceleration... i'd go with a 3200 stall... and it will take a bit to get used to... and get a shift kit!!! the only one i know of (cause i'm a m6 guy) is the transgo shift kit...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would say to see what their cost is and compare it to a performabuilt tranny. Is the local shop highly recommended and do they have a bunch of experience with the 4L60E?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

their rebuild cost was around 1800, its Benchmark Transmission, and the guy I talked to knew a lot about the 4L60E. You guys that have a stall does it make the shifting kinda squishy or slow, i was thinking about upgrading it since the trans has to come out anyway. Also was gonna go with raybestos plates etc, corvette servo

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i dont take the car to the track, and i dont usually preload it off the line, so I am wondering if the stall would be worth it, I do want to improve the accel between 2-3 and 3-4 as we all know the A4 has dead spots there. think i can fix this with just line pressure or do i def need a different stall.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do a stall. I run a 3500 in mine. As long as you're getting the tranny redone it would only make sense to throw in a stall. There's no way increasing line pressures will come close to having a stall. I would do both. Get a stall, tranny cooler, and shift kit. You should be pretty well hooked up then. The stall will make the shifts not as crisp but it'll also remove the dead spot at shifts and keep your rpm's up to where you're making good horse power.

NBM
    1998Z28

I would look at an aftermarket tranny. I had mine rebuilt twice and it never performed as expected. And this was with the transgo kit,raybestos Z-pack clutchs and vette servos. I bought a Stage 2 from Performabuilt for the same price as I was paying people to rebuild the old one for. Its rated at 700 rwhp. I'm running it with the Vigalante 3400 stall and it drives around normal enough until you nail it. Then it lites the Mickys at will and the shift between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd are killer not soft or mushy. I never could get the stock tranny from banging the rev limiter. And my tranny programing is stock.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Thread Information