Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Traction Control

I want to know if there is any way to by pass the traction control on a 98Z. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

That thread is good but doesn't completely answer the question.
    If you don't have a TCS Switch than you don't have Traction Control.
    All car's with TCS will have a single cable on the Throttle Body routed to the TCS Unit behind the Battery. If you have 2 cables on the Throttle Body then you Do Not have Traction Control.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

How about checking RPO codes?

NW7 : TRACTION CONTROL - ELECTRONIC
    NW9 : TRACTION CONTROL - ELECTRONIC

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

He asked how to BYPASS it.. I would imagine that would mean he knows he has it... SLP makes a module to reverse it so its off automatically instead of on.. I'm planning on getting it one of these days.. REALLY annoying hitting that button everytime I get in the car....
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

From the thread I posted above:
    "Are you sure your car doesn't have traction control? Some of these cars were built without the switch-my car was.I bought my 02 new and the window sticker said traction control-but there was no switch installed in the dash-just a block off plate.I already had a service manual from my 98 that I traded in so I knew what to look for mechanically to verify the system was there.Look underneath at the back axle-if there is a wire going to both back wheels instead of just going into the middle of the rear axle-you have traction control and all you need is the switch to turn it on and off.If you have traction control but no switch-it will be on all the time-you can't turn it off and it comes on automatically when you start the car.Anyway they ordered a switch and installed it-service guy said it happened from time to time,I said no harm no foul. The ABS module looks different also-but the easiest way to tell is looking at the back axle."

I thought that answered the question "I want to know if there is any way to by pass the traction control on a 98Z.". I read the answer to be yes, a switch can be installed.

The SLP traction control logic module is here, a little over half way through the page: http://tbyrne.com/ls1/ls1transgears.html . I agree it's probably the better solution, I can see where having to hit a button every time could get annoying.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I had the SLP reversal...it's a very good buy.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by steven strickland View Post
    I want to know if there is any way to by pass the traction control on a 98Z. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    On the passenger side fender well, the electric motor that the thottle cables go to, unplug it !!!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    From the thread I posted above:
    "Are you sure your car doesn't have traction control? Some of these cars were built without the switch-my car was.I bought my 02 new and the window sticker said traction control-but there was no switch installed in the dash-just a block off plate.I already had a service manual from my 98 that I traded in so I knew what to look for mechanically to verify the system was there.Look underneath at the back axle-if there is a wire going to both back wheels instead of just going into the middle of the rear axle-you have traction control and all you need is the switch to turn it on and off.If you have traction control but no switch-it will be on all the time-you can't turn it off and it comes on automatically when you start the car.Anyway they ordered a switch and installed it-service guy said it happened from time to time,I said no harm no foul. The ABS module looks different also-but the easiest way to tell is looking at the back axle."

I thought that answered the question "I want to know if there is any way to by pass the traction control on a 98Z.". I read the answer to be yes, a switch can be installed.

The SLP traction control logic module is here, a little over half way through the page: http://tbyrne.com/ls1/ls1transgears.html . I agree it's probably the better solution, I can see where having to hit a button every time could get annoying.
    I agree with most of this, although, all 98-02 Camaros and Firebirds have 4 channel ABS, which means a speed sensor on each end of the axle. 93-97 Camaros and Firebirds have 3 Channel ABS, which means 1 sensor for the whole rear. Having one or two wires running to the rear doesn't tell you wether you have ABS or not which was available in 3 channel and 4 channel systems.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    On the passenger side fender well, the electric motor that the thottle cables go to, unplug it !!!
    Will that affect the ABS?

White
    1998 Trans Am

No, The ABS will work, but the gas pedal won't kick up any more, until you plug it back in...

White
    1998 Trans Am

It really sucks at the track, when you restart the car, & forget to shut it off... Won't spin in the water box !!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I agree with most of this, although, all 98-02 Camaros and Firebirds have 4 channel ABS, which means a speed sensor on each end of the axle. 93-97 Camaros and Firebirds have 3 Channel ABS, which means 1 sensor for the whole rear. Having one or two wires running to the rear doesn't tell you wether you have ABS or not which was available in 3 channel and 4 channel systems.
    98's also had 3 channel ABS.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    98's also had 3 channel ABS.
    Not mine, and 98 is when they switched over to 4 channel, which is why I have 2 speed sonsors on the rear axle.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

re:

My 98 SS has 4 channel also.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would assume all traction control cars would have 4 channel rears but my 98 without traction control is a 3 channel.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

All I did to bypass my TCS is unplug the fuse under the hood (not the fuse inside the car, since that is linked to other accessories)....havent had any problem.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would assume all traction control cars would have 4 channel rears but my 98 without traction control is a 3 channel.
    Hmm, there must have been very few leftover rears from 97. My buds 98 has no traction control and he has a 4 channel rear.

You must not have 4 channel ABS

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm gonna look and see if I can find some build numbers. I was under the impression a large number of 98's had the 3 channel rears but I've never seen any build numbers, just people on the boards buying and selling the rears out of their cars.

99 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post

I am new on the site and have a 99 T/A and I have pulled the fuse under the hood before and my stupid TCS light shines in my face. If I unplug the motor will the light still come on? Thanks!

Thread Information