Tracking an LS ... Is oiling really a big issue?

I was doing some reading earlier, about track set ups, and started getting into some forums where the members seemed to be having a lot of problems with the inadaquate ability of thier LS cars to handle proper engine oil distribution during high G cornering.

Now, the guys who were really pulling a lot of G's through corners and loosing a lot of engines (in a shockingly short time period) were infact legitimate track racers, in a class that did not permit aftermarket dry sump oiling set ups....But it seems that a fair number of members over on a corvette forum, who simply took thier cars to track days, were also having problems and still loosing engines on occasion.

This leaves me wondering, when does oiling become a problem? Should I worry about it, at all, while only spinning 4000rpm on a short autoX course; where corners last only a few seconds and alternate left to right? ... How about lapping sessions on a 1.5 mile road course where most corners go in only one direction and can last 5 seconds (or longer) at high RPM > will backing out of the throttle a bit and running only street tires keep an LS safe from such oiling issues? ... or is that only slightly less risky than the guys who run full throttle with track tires?

I really hadn't heard about this problem until I started to read up on track cars (looking for suspension tips) ... Is there anyone out there who has real knowlege on this subject, and can comment on how legitimate of an issue it is?
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 01-30-2011 at 09:19 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You look this up on frrax? It can be a problem for anyone if the car is in a situation where the pump gets starved. Autoxers don't seem to have this problem but I can imagine it might be a problem with long sweeping turns. Granted stuff happens even with dry sumps.
    http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/show...ghlight=katech

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Any time the oil in the pan is "moved" away from the pick up it starves the motor for oil. Back in the day we used oilers. Many still do today.
    http://www.automotoroiler.com/

I could be wrong, but if I understood them over on the corvette forum properly, they were concerned not only with oil "sloshing" over to the side of the pan and away from the pick up, as it would with any engine...but also with the particular design of the LS engines top end and how at sustained high Gs it seemed that oil would get caught up there and not come back down to continue circulating thoughout the system (for the duration of the corner)

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Going that fast.....I would convert to a dry sump.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i remember reading up on that when i was looking at starting to hpde...it is important to remember to change your oil before and after a hpde event..You need to add a baffle in the oil pan and look to add 1/2 to 1 quart extra. I also know they run either a heavier or lighter oil..i cant remember.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Going that fast.....I would convert to a dry sump.
    x2...some classes dont allow it tho

I thought I remembered hearing a bunch of road test articles proclaiming the New camaro to be pulling well over .9gs in testing, so I decided to do some googling and came up with this (on the 4th gens)

I did not ask his permission to repost this quote (just now as I stumbled upon it on another post) so I will not give the author's name. But suffice to say, this was written several years ago by one of the more respected "handling gurus" out there.

Bear in mind that skidpad number are generic and are subject to a LOT of factors. Surface, Tires, Alignment, radius, etc.

Stock 4th gens on good street tires on a good smooth sruface will be around .85-.9g. Add R-Compound tires and it generally jumps to about 1.0-1.05 or so. ESP Autox cars can pull and sustain about 1.15-1.2g. But, don't get hung up on those numbers. You NEVER drive a car to max. grip. Track and autox cars have to make really good grip, but in a driveable way.

It's not just the cornering forces. And it's not just the oiling system. It's a combination. Sustained high lateral force with sustained high RPM is what kills alot of these engines. You don't NEED a dry sump.

What can you do that's fairly easy and cheap? Add additional oil.

Not enough? Install some pushrods that are designed to slightly restrict oil.

Even further? Pull the heads. Replace the lifter trays with LS2 trays - drill 1/2" holes in the trays to promote better drainback.

Finally, depending upon your application there are a few trapdoor oil pans available now.

Thread Information