Black
    Trans am

torque arm issued

my y pipe is hitting my torque arm, i dont think that's good, how can i fix the issued with the y pipe

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What brand of ORY?

I have a TS&P one & it took a couple of adjustments to get it right.

Black
    Trans am

Pacesetter 3" ORY Pipe, i was thinking to take it to someone to mod the piping on the area where it is hitting from 3" to 2" and replace the tail housing

98 Formula
    06 duramax

where's it hitting at? A lot of times you can fix these issues by adjusting the exhaust. I had the same issue with my pacesetter Y. What I did was loosen the exhaust all the way up past the axle. The angle that they I-pipe comes over the axle makes a big difference in clearance up towards the front. After I loosened everything up I twisted that pipe to get me the most clearance all the way around and then I wedged blocks of wood in any close fitting spots to hold everything in place. After I did that I tightened everything back up and then knocked the blocks of wood out. Cured all my banging issues.

Black
    Trans am

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    where's it hitting at? A lot of times you can fix these issues by adjusting the exhaust. I had the same issue with my pacesetter Y. What I did was loosen the exhaust all the way up past the axle. The angle that they I-pipe comes over the axle makes a big difference in clearance up towards the front. After I loosened everything up I twisted that pipe to get me the most clearance all the way around and then I wedged blocks of wood in any close fitting spots to hold everything in place. After I did that I tightened everything back up and then knocked the blocks of wood out. Cured all my banging issues.
    ^^^^
    This is exactly how I did mine. I also welded up the ORY so I could eliminate the clamps that cause many of my issues with slapping the floor boards and catching trash on the road. I also used band clamps to connect the ORY to the headers and I welded the single pipe that connects to the ORY to extend it and have a cut in the area close to where I'm going to put a cut out, but for now it is band clamp.

I also notice 2 things the last time I was under the car. When I installed the (UMI) TA relocation mount and adjustable TA it gave me more room to adjust the exhaust to tighten it up more.

I will also say that each car is different. Mine is considered lowered. My lowest part of the ORY sits exactly at 3.5" off the pavement.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_TransAm View Post
    Yeah that's the same spot that was a major PITA for me too.

You can see where the TA tilts up right as the ORY comes underneath the TA.

I'm not saying you need a new TA to fix this just giving you a reference of what I posted above.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I wonder also if it's hitting his floorboard maybe and not his torque arm. Either way you can usually fix it by playing with the I-pipe angle. Mufflex makes the Y clamp too that helps but it's a $50 clamp.

Black
    Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I wonder also if it's hitting his floorboard maybe and not his torque arm. Either way you can usually fix it by playing with the I-pipe angle. Mufflex makes the Y clamp too that helps but it's a $50 clamp.

I can feel something hitting the bottom

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah....you can feel it when it's hitting the floorboard too. Most common spot by far for it to hit is directly under the driver right where the bend is. Like I say though......you can fix it by playing with that I-pipe angle. That's a shit ton of money for a clamp....that would be worst case scenario for me. Took me about 30 minutes to fix mine by loosening everything and didn't cost a dime.

Black
    Trans am

like having someone welded my y pipe and have the i pipe lower about 1 inch to have alot of room for the y pipe

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't think there's a such thing as "a lot" of room under 4th gens. I don't think it'll take as much work as you think.... that I pipe just gets rotated.

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

Just a thought, have you replaced your t arm mount? I have the same y, and it was close on the t arm when the rear would hang, but when the suspension is loaded, there should be enough clearance. After I did my t arm mount to a Polly, it gave it some more room, not sure if it was just my car and got lucky, but it helped. I now have a body mount t arm and there is no hitting because of the relocation on the body. Just my thoughts.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

how does that hangar work?

i just put on an ORY and it bangs bad...and its intermittant.

it was banging against my trans mount, so i notched it a little when i put on a new tranny mount, but now its hitting somewhere else, and im pretty sure its hitting my TA too

Thread Information