Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

green
    94 z28

Tornado's really help Camaros?

Well, I personally thought it was all a lie when I first seen them advertised. I also see on most forums that they don't work, but last Friday someone in my autobody class put one in their s10 pickup. He said it gave him about 2 MPG more. I know he wouldn't lie, also. The thing is, he mostly drives on the highway since it takes him about an hour and a half to get to our college.

So, has anyone tried it on a muscle car or their camaro's? With college and work now I have to drive just about 100 miles a day, so even 1 MPG more would be a little help. I also don't get to even work that much because of college, so saving just a few bucks a week would make it a little easier.

Also, how much MPG do cold air intakes and an exhaust usually give each?

Either way, I can't give up the v-8 for a better fuel economy car. I've tried driving my moms older car that gets about 30-35 MPG but those just aren't fun to drive.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

I just dont understand why they are around 70 bucks...i mean it seem so cheap. I would like to buy one just to try it and see...im still kind of skeptical about them

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Don't know about camaros but I had one on my 2000 Silverado 5.3L I used to have and with highway driving I got about 2 MPG better.
    98 Formula M6, Hurst Billet Shifter, Zr-1 Wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit,
    BMR Lower Trailing Arms, Adjustible Panhard Bar

Custom Tune with Speed Density, 918's, Manly Pushrods
    400 Cam (.226/.226 .591/.591),Ported oil Pump
    Pacesetter LT's/ORY, Magnaflow Catback.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Where would I put this thing if I got it? Before or after the maf?

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by white99x View Post
    I just dont understand why they are around 70 bucks...i mean it seem so cheap. I would like to buy one just to try it and see...im still kind of skeptical about them
    Well, they are now only about $40. They are cheap because they are just tiny pieces of metal. There are tons of rip-offs of it on eBay that are about the same thing only going for about $10 or so. $70 isn't that much anyways, you can make a good cold air intake using paper filters for about $20-$30.

I heard that it goes right after the filter.

white
    2002 z28

never used one but i thing in the plastic slinky part

white
    2002 z28

but on there commerials they put that on a lt1 and got 10 rear wheel hP on a impala and like 4-mph soo it might work

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    but on there commerials they put that on a lt1 and got 10 rear wheel hP on a impala and like 4-mph soo it might work
    Not sure if that's sarcasm or not because I've never actually seen a commercial for it. I don't expect ANY HP gains at all from it, but even a 1 MPG gain will pay for itself in a VERY short period of time.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

are ya'll serious??? wow, do you believe 10 HP at the wheels, come on, a K&N filter and smooth bellows don't even do that... I would never put that junk (tornado) on my car. Don't get muscle and complain about MPG, haven't understood why anyone would buy a V8 and try to increase the gas mileage. I am sure there are other ways to save that few extra bucks, if your V8 is fun to drive then lay off the gas a little bit, makes a big difference.

white
    2002 z28

this commerical is probly 3 years old and seen recently and is not a joke. they put the car on a dyno and did all the good stuff. im not sure if its correct due to marketing of products but the commereical is there sooo

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post

are ya'll serious??? wow, do you believe 10 HP at the wheels, come on, a K&N filter and smooth bellows don't even do that... I would never put that junk (tornado) on my car. Don't get muscle and complain about MPG, haven't understood why anyone would buy a V8 and try to increase the gas mileage. I am sure there are other ways to save that few extra bucks, if your V8 is fun to drive then lay off the gas a little bit, makes a big difference.

nobodys trying to say this things works, just saying that the commerical said what it said. and from marketing stand points im sure there overrating put thats what it was advertise at..........

green
    94 z28

So when the day comes, if it does, that you can buy a 400 HP car or get the EXACT same car with 10 more miles per gallon for an additional $500 you'd pass that off?

People get muscle cars and try to increase their gas mileage because they like to drive fast and still try to save a little money. Hey, being 1-2 MPG more would save me hundreds a year, hundreds that could go into more mods for the car. So why not?

You can't tell me you wouldn't have paid an additional $150 for the same car you have now if it was for sale but had an additional 3-5 more MPG.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

i wouldnt put that on my lawn mower...yeah its good intill it craps out and all of it goes into your engine and destory's it .....seen it happen way to many times

red
    02 ws6

Angry

this "Tornado" thing was developed by some JAP! to make more money off of dumb asses stupid enough to buy it. And hes laughin all the way to the bank.TRUST me look into it!

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_badass View Post
    i wouldnt put that on my lawn mower...yeah its good intill it craps out and all of it goes into your engine and destory's it .....seen it happen way to many times
    The "I wouldn't put that on my lawn mower" is what I was waiting for, because I see it in EVERY thread about the tornado, lol. Also, I don't expect stainless steel to "crap out" from the air that goes into a cold air intake.

I think I may actually try it out. I'll give the guy at my school a little more testing time and see how it works for him.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    So when the day comes, if it does, that you can buy a 400 HP car or get the EXACT same car with 10 more miles per gallon for an additional $500 you'd pass that off?

People get muscle cars and try to increase their gas mileage because they like to drive fast and still try to save a little money. Hey, being 1-2 MPG more would save me hundreds a year, hundreds that could go into more mods for the car. So why not?

You can't tell me you wouldn't have paid an additional $150 for the same car you have now if it was for sale but had an additional 3-5 more MPG.
    Apparently I wouldn't, hell I am lucky to get 10-14 MPG in the city and 22-26 on the highway. I care nothing about the gas mileage, thats what a beater is for...
    2002 Collector's Edition Trans Am WS6
    Born Dec. 6, 2001 ASC #753
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ldgetsshow.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i dont blame him for asking. hes not complaining about mpgs, hes just wondering if its possible to get more. who doesnt want better mpg for their car if it doesnt sacrifice performance? if this tornado thing works, then cool. id pay for it

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

You are paying money for a placebo. The only difference in milage you will find is because of you subconciously driving easier on your car, because you put that thing in there. The simple science behind the product does not work the way they claim. In order to create a large enough swirl effect to do ANYTHING the peice would have to be several inches long, as well as adversly effect airflow. It would also have to be tuned specificly to each motor, as considering the airflow directions and nuances vary for every motor. One design that magicly happened to work on one car, would destroy another cars swirl. Its called harmonics.

Secondly, if it really did work to even the modest 2mpg claim, then automakers would be thrilled, because that would take care of those silly little CAFE MPG requirements the government just enacted.

Don't waste your money, go buy some sugar pills instead. They taste better.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

It scares me that we have "car guys" on this site that are actually swindled by this garbage made for tv bruhaha. send $70 dollars to me if you wanna piss your money away that bad. that lil tin piece of shit only causes turbulence and your intake tract and it wouldnt surprise me if your maf will get innacurate readings. want better gas mileage? change your gas filter, clean or replace your air filter, put some new plugs and wires in, adjust your tire pressure, and stop flooring it to traffic lights.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    It scares me that we have "car guys" on this site that are actually swindled by this garbage made for tv bruhaha. send $70 dollars to me if you wanna piss your money away that bad. that lil tin piece of shit only causes turbulence and your intake tract and it wouldnt surprise me if your maf will get innacurate readings. want better gas mileage? change your gas filter, clean or replace your air filter, put some new plugs and wires in, adjust your tire pressure, and stop flooring it to traffic lights.
    but now... what if u HAVE done all that?
    lol jk... i dont actualyl believe it works but if someone proves it to me, (that has not changed their driving habit) it WOULD be worth the $70 dont u agree?

Thread Information