Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top speed LS1

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Top speed LS1

Has anyone tested their LS1's top speed? Most of us have seen pictures of people with their speedo tached out, but exactly how fast can the LS1's go??? I'd like to hear from someone who knows 1st-hand that got their top speed and how they did it. Also, list your mods, gears, and transmission.

Personally, I've hit 140 MPH on Rt. 1 in NJ, but didn't tach out. I just moved to CA and haven't found any opportunities yet, but anyone who lives or has been in northern NJ knows that there's not too many opportunities to attempt to tach out. I have a Z28 A4 3.43 gears and at the time I had a K&N FIPK. It's possible my car can reach over 155 MPH with the A4, as at 140 MPH I still had more power to use, but didn't feel safe continueing on the highway.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

I want to say the top speed is around 162mph.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I had a 99 z28 after a rebuild and a few tunes with bolt on's i topped out and theres a formula calculator that when you type in your gear ratio and rpm it came out to around 186. Ill try and find the website again and post it.
    J

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It was no problem for my car to hit 145-and there was plenty more to go. I've seen a stock motor car with safety mods post a 171 or there abouts in one of those legal top speed runs on the highway. I would think the 6 speed cars would run faster than an automatic due to the steeper over drive ratio and less power loss throught the tranny,but I'm sure some will argue that.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

186 thats crazy i did 135 last night with plenty more to go

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I'm sure a 6-speed with a huge axle would get much higher numbers than an A4, but I was wandering if anyone actually tested this out, ex. using a GPS device or radar to calculate.

Sometimes I wander why the hell the V8 F-bodies have speedos at 150 MPH, and yet a Honda Accord has the speedo upto 150 too. That's a real slap in the face when somebody said my Camaro and an Accord should be topped out at the same speed, just cuz GM was way too conservative and Honda was way too dramatic.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yes-what I was talking about was a timed sanctioned event where they were using GPS,radar,and the timers to calculated top speeds. I know this particular car had the stock rear end and ratio,with double overdrive you don't need to change the ratio.

ls1tech director

laser red
    1994 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess
    I had a 99 z28 after a rebuild and a few tunes with bolt on's i topped out and theres a formula calculator that when you type in your gear ratio and rpm it came out to around 186. Ill try and find the website again and post it.
    J
    i'd question the accuracy of your tach at those RPMs and MPH. i know a few ORR's who've got 171 GPS, radar, and timed verified with a cam bolt on setup and one who did in excess of 185 with h/c full bolts, cage, areo packages, ect. the HP required to go 170 to 180 and 180 to 190 grows exponentially.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    I want to say the top speed is around 162mph.
    I've seen a Z28 6-Speed with bolt ons and a tune, and it hit 176 on one of those open-road competition things. I think the video was on streetfire.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    I'm sure a 6-speed with a huge axle would get much higher numbers than an A4, but I was wandering if anyone actually tested this out, ex. using a GPS device or radar to calculate.

Sometimes I wander why the hell the V8 F-bodies have speedos at 150 MPH, and yet a Honda Accord has the speedo upto 150 too. That's a real slap in the face when somebody said my Camaro and an Accord should be topped out at the same speed, just cuz GM was way too conservative and Honda was way too dramatic.
    A speedo is by no means a tell-tale of what a car is capable of, and anyone who says or believes it has anything to do with top speed is not the sharpest tool in the shed

Oh, and you'll hit 150 still pulling while they are stuggling to pull 115 out of their asses

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

1999 Police Camaro

A certified 158 MPH top end speed on a 1999 police package Camaro which I believe is basically a stock LS1. Just has heavy duty alternator, heavy duty everything basically.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    A certified 158 MPH top end speed on a 1999 police package Camaro which I believe is basically a stock LS1. Just has heavy duty alternator, heavy duty everything basically.
    I own a 99 B4C, maybe I'll check on that

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    I own a 99 B4C, maybe I'll check on that
    If you're serious make sure you have the tires for it. That test was on the original Goodyear tires.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    If you're serious make sure you have the tires for it. That test was on the original Goodyear tires.
    I don't generally enjoy high speeds, I'm a 1/4 mile man. Top speed seems useless to me, but I am still z-rated so I'm equipped. I don't see anything that would limit an LS1 to 158 unless you've got some serious gears in there, but I've never gone that fast in an auto so I don't know when they run out of umph and just can't pull anymore. I know my old M6 LT1 (97)pulled hard all the way through 5th which ended right around 150 I think and was gutless in 6th at that speed when stock

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    A speedo is by no means a tell-tale of what a car is capable of, and anyone who says or believes it has anything to do with top speed is not the sharpest tool in the shed
    Yea, GNX's only read 85 on the speedo, just like everything else in the 80's

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    Yea, GNX's only read 85 on the speedo, just like everything else in the 80's
    have you ever been in one when they drop the hammer. flashing lights like a fucken jet bout to crash.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Will a stock LS1 with no tune shut off? If so what speed do you have to reach before it will?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

I remember reading a post about the top speed for a ws6 was 172 or something, with slightly lower for the camaro. I figured the camaro would be slightly faster due to better aerodynamics and slightly lower weight. But the thing i read said it was partially due to the ram-air. I think it was a post on here before the site went down and lost everything, it linked to some other site with the "proof" i believe. Was just an article taken from somewhere or something like that.

Anyone happen to remember this? It was the same thread that someone said there is a 160mph speed limiter on our cars.

I'll check to see if i might have saved a copy of that page. Its been over a year though so I may not have it.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

I'm reasonably sure the speed limiter is set at 155, where the speedo stops, but the speedo isn't really that accurate, so it could turn out to be 160 on a GPS due to various un-anticipated issues

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

The speed governor on the M6 cars is 162.

Thread Information