Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

time for a new clutch?

i have the following mods done and was wondering if i should start saving for a new clutch...recently it feels like it is slipping a bit.

lid, headers, exhaust, heads, cam, rods and rockers...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would say yes. It really all depends on your driving habits though. A lot of people don't realize the torque a stock clutch can hold. It's hard to say how much actual power you are planting to the ground without listing which heads and how radical your cam may or may not be, but anything over 400 a lot of people go with a LS7. It can hold the torque and feels stock. If you plan on going more than 450, I would recommend a Spec Stage 3+ or similar. You may hear both good and bad things about Spec in here.

If you are going to be trying to launch the car hard at the track and/or running DRs, you'll be putting a lot of extra stress on it.

How many miles are on it?

BTW - Fellow Indiana resident here, what part are you from?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

right now i'm probably close to 400 hp, but i plan on swapping for a more aggressive cam and getting a tune next summer.

thanks for the input.

NW indiana here.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No shit. Hobart here.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

you know any reputable places to get work done around here? i try to do most of the work myself, but sometimes it would be nice to know of a good, honest place to get help if needed.

and the cars got 30000 miles...i didnt know how to drive stick when i bought it, so im sure the clutch has some additional wear and tear from my dumbass.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Not anywhere really close that I am aware of. Exotic Performance Plus is where I have gotten all of my work done thus far. Their customer service has been unmatched. It's about an hour and a half away. There is also Finish Line Performance which is reputable in Naperville. Again though, a good 1-1/2 hour drive.

Funny you mention not knowing how to drive. Back when I bought my car, I didn't know how to drive a stick...period. My friend test drove it and drove it home. I learned that night. Haha.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

ha! my girlfriends dad at the time had to drive mine home from the dealership...it was a few days in a parking lot before i had the balls to actually take it on a "real street"

have you had a tune done yet? if so, how satisfied were you with it and what did it set you back?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kiddynamite View Post
    ha! my girlfriends dad at the time had to drive mine home from the dealership...it was a few days in a parking lot before i had the balls to actually take it on a "real street"

have you had a tune done yet? if so, how satisfied were you with it and what did it set you back?
    Mine is at EPP now. Part of this trip is getting a DYNO tune. I should have results in about a week. As seen from my signature, I don't have much in the form of engine mods yet. Everything else is built though. I've spent a pretty good dime there this year so he knocked off quite a bit for me for the full tune.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information