red
    2002 ss camaro

tilt column fix help please.

I have 02 ss and the column has play you can pull it down about 1/2 inch when it is in position I searched but could not find thread to discuss this problem what parts do I need and what does it take to fix this problem.

On a side note when I bought the car the inspection was up so I take it to get inspected and the tech says (b.s.) that the rifgt front wheel bearing has to much play and needs to be replaced and the steering wheel is loose so it needs to be tightened to pass inspection. I know he was full of sh## so I asked him to take me to the car and show me the bearing It wasn't bad. Anyway when I told him and the shop manager about the tilt column he responded by saying yea there is two bolts one for the wheel and one underneath it will fix the problem. [I] said [I] know it won't but I need the inspection so I have them do it. can't prove it but I don't think they touched the wheel bearing and when he was done he said I couldn't fix teh steering wheel so I will only charge you one hour labor for trying. trying and fixing are two different thing so long story longer I paid 500.00 for a flipin inspection. called the chain headquarters and demaned some action but they suck just as bad as the shop i DEALT WITH. if it wasn't for the fact I can't move very well right now do to my motorcycle accident I would have done it myself but am very limited right now.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I really dont know what to tell you, mine wobbles up and down a half inch or so

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

To fix the problem, you need to pretty much tear apart the column. Start by taking off the steering wheel, then the clock spring, turn signal switch, ignition, and then you can see three torx bolts way down in there. Those will be loose, hence your loose steering wheel. You need a fairly long reach to get at them and they are tough to get at, but tighten those up and your problem is fixed. Hope that helps you out.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    To fix the problem, you need to pretty much tear apart the column. Start by taking off the steering wheel, then the clock spring, turn signal switch, ignition, and then you can see three torx bolts way down in there. Those will be loose, hence your loose steering wheel. You need a fairly long reach to get at them and they are tough to get at, but tighten those up and your problem is fixed. Hope that helps you out.
    isn't there a bushing in there that needs to be replaced?

83 Z28 new project

not that I know of, I know the wobbly steering wheel has been an issue for like 20 some years, you would think by now they would try to improve it. Those screws that I tighten are part of the tilt wheel, tighten them back up and it is nice and solid again.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Don't forget to put some loctite on the bolts. They shouldn't ever come loose again.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    He's right. There's three torx screws in the column that loosen-up. Take them out one at a time and apply BLUE Loctite to them. Your prob. should be solved.

83 Z28 new project

Thanks about the loc-tite, forgot to add that, its been a while since I did one.

Thread Information