Black
    97 Formula

"Thud" coming from the bottom of the car

Ok, so I have some weird thud coming from the bottom of my car . I just drove it for the first time since I put it in my garage for winter tonight. It ran fine, but I have a thud coming from the bottom. When I accelerate normally, up to about 30+ or so and let off, I get a thud. I'm thinking it's coming from somewhere near the tranny [automatic] or from the tranny itself.

I don't know if the previous owner installed a shift-kit or not, but I know the tranny is really strong under hard acceleration. I can chirp my tires going into 2nd off the line [but I think it's do to having the stock 245/50/16 Eagle RS-A tires]. I don't think one was installed, because I have all the recipts and paperwork from the previous owner, and nothing suggests any tranny work was done.

Also, sometimes when I'm slowing down to a stop, from say 40mph or so, I sometimes hear a thud coming from the underneath the car from the front. Could it be something suspension, tranny, or motor mount related? Or could the exhaust be hitting something when deaccelerating? The previous owner did have a Borla cat-back installed.

Any help?

Here's a list of stuff that I had installed last year since I took ownership if any of it helps. Prothane transmission mount and a 32mm front swaybar with polyurethane endlinks and durometer bushings.

Someone mentioned it could be a loose tranny mount bolt since I had the new mount installed. I'll have it checked out next time I take in for an oil change.

seabring silver
    2002 Camaro

I had a similer sounding problem about 6 weeks or so after I installed a Corsa cat back. The exhaust in these cars runs over the trans cross member and needs to be adjusted to prevent the exhaust from hitting the cross member or the trans mount is loose. thats my best guess

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Id say check the bolts holding the transmission mount and cross member. Sometimes thouse end links will make noise but id check all the bolts and make sure they are tight.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Yeah check the tranny mount. Look at it real close, if it has more than 50,000 miles on it I'd just replace it. Alot of times the rubber will squish down even if its not broken and allow the exhaust to hit.

SOM
    2002 SOM Z28

Yea I thought my tranny mount was bad turned out it was my torque arm that was loose and was smashing against the underneith of the car......you really need to lift the car and get uner there and start tugging and shaking on things to see if they are loose.

Black
    02 Z06

When my tranny mount went bad in my old lt1. It did the same exact thing. My bets are on tranny mount.

Grilled Cheese rocks!!!!! slo4mula's Avatar

GM Bright Red
    2000 Formula

definately tranny mount and torque arm bushing. I had the exact same problem with my 93 TA.

Thread Information