The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Throwing Too Lean code P0171

What should I check on this? 2000 T/A WS6. Just added BBK SSI Intake, 85 mm throttle body, SLP CAI, smooth bellows, lid, K&N air filter cleaned, Magna Flow cat back. While driving it popped the code. Also noticed that when warmed up and driving the rpms would not drop for a few seconds when I engaged the clutch or let off. If I let the tranny slow it down it would eventually hit a position that dragged the rpms to normal.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Is the MAF stock? If not put the stock one back in, or try cleaning the OEM one with MAF cleaner from any auto parts store. DO not touch or wipe the wire inside the MAF.

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Is the MAF stock? If not put the stock one back in, or try cleaning the OEM one with MAF cleaner from any auto parts store. DO not touch or wipe the wire inside the MAF.
    It is stock. I have an SLP high flow MAF but I took that out and put the stock one back in. It looks pretty clean. But I did find out that the codes are saying both banks are running lean.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by !!!FAST!!! View Post
    It is stock. I have an SLP high flow MAF but I took that out and put the stock one back in. It looks pretty clean. But I did find out that the codes are saying both banks are running lean.
    That SLP MAF has made your PCM think the car is running lean and is probably dumping a lot of extra fuel trying to compensate but never satisfies the condition.

You can also check to make sure that you did not scorch/melt your O2 sensor wires with the new intake/exhaust.

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That SLP MAF has made your PCM think the car is running lean and is probably dumping a lot of extra fuel trying to compensate but never satisfies the condition.

You can also check to make sure that you did not scorch/melt your O2 sensor wires with the new intake/exhaust.
    Wouldn't it throw o2 codes then. The wires look fine. Didn't change exhaust manifolds to cats just a catback system. I took the high flow off and put the stock one back on then disconnected my battery to let the computer recal for the stock MAF.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Clear codes with a scanner the same thing happened when I put my slp maf in it ran great at first then after a couple hundred miles it through the same bs codes I put the stocker back in and had the codes cleared have not had the problem since.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you had your stock one stored for a while when you were running the SLP MAF, I would guess it is dirty.

Even if it looks clean, I would still buy some MAF cleaner and spray the hell out of it. The P0171 code is usually the MAF. It looks like SSTOD said the same thing.

I am not sure on this, but it may take a while for the PCM to relearn with the new MAF.

You could also check for a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF. This would trigger the same code.

Thread Information