2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

For those interested in new starters...

Hey guys last year my 10 year old oem starter finally gave out so seeing as there were no "new" options I opted to go with a rebuilt unit off ebay. Now 10 months later this one is also giving me fits, autozone and the like want around 170 for a rebuilt of theirs and the better acdelco rebuilt unit goes for around 200, I really wanted a new starter this time so I began looking for an affordable solution.

Enter the 2010 ls3 camaro starter part (12617229) pig tail (12101763)
    This starter is available brand new and is the same size as an original ls1 starter but it only costs around $110 new from AC DELCO. Now any ls starter you buy today will be an updated version. Meaning if you go underneath your car the original starter will have a staggered mouting boss with 1 long and 1 short bolt. Any new starter you buy will now have the same size boss all the way across and will come with a longer bolt to compensate just as this ls3 starter looks.

The only other difference you will have to make for this starter is that on the original ls1 harness there is a 10 gauge keyed wire that goes to the solenoid. As you can see the ls3 starter uses a plug. I like this better as often the orignal ls1 harness gets burnt from the header so replacing 6" or so of it doesnt hurt not to mention its water proof this way and much easier to take on and off rather than loosening a tiny eye loop. Just cut your harness and splice this one in...

340676d1329527980-2010-camaro-ss-ls3-starter-swaps-102_0658.jpg

340677d1329527980-2010-camaro-ss-ls3-starter-swaps-102_0659.jpg

Just thought I'd post this up total I have 125 in everything which is cheaper than buying a rebuilt from a chain store for 170 or paying 200 for a rebuilt delco ls1 unit. You cant however get these in a parts store you have to get them from an internet vendor

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Good info.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The pictures aren't showing up for me.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Did you try viewing it from a computer? I know sometimes droids have issues viewing pics when going from a phone and you also must be logged in. If not just say so and ill repost them

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Good info,thanks.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Did you try viewing it from a computer? I know sometimes droids have issues viewing pics when going from a phone and you also must be logged in. If not just say so and ill repost them
    I viewed it on the fullsite instead of the app on my phone and could see the pictures. I might do that when my starter goes.

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Good evening,

So would this work on a stock 98 Z28 automatic?

Need it quick so I would appreciate a quick response

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I believe so, with the mod he was talking about. Should work with all LSx motors

If you don't want to make the wire mod you can use a truck starter like one that is used on 04' LQ4.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-26-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Well I partly installed my LS3 starter in my 98 LS1 last night and ran into a couple small issues. Not completed yet as I did not have time to solder the new pigtail so I haven't even tried to kick it on yet. First of all it does fit but there is a thing or two one should know.

The starter sits 3/4" higher than the stock LS1 starter. This means it engages at a different location than the one originally intended. Hopefully that won't be a problem and clearance either. The flywheel inspection cover needs to be modified for this by cutting part of the plastic off. Also there is a 3/4" opening left behind at the bottom of the starter as it no longer sits at the same location. I now have to find a way to cover this hole. Not sure if the inspection cover off an LS3 car would fit mine. I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Also since the starter sits a little more tightly against the engine right above the pigtail connector there is going to be a ground strap bolt. Be careful to move that wire so it points to the side and not down as it will hit the pigtail connector and possibly break it. I managed to slightly crack mine when putting it in.

I will report back when I got it started and running. Having known about the clearance issue and flywheel inspection cover modification required I would of grabbed an updated LS1 starter.

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Starter install was finished last night. Started the car without any problems so fitment is not an issue. It's just the flywheel inspection cover which has a 3/4" gap along the bottom of the starter now that I dealt with temporarily with foil tape.

Thread Information