Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Thinking about Polishing my MAF

So since its cold outside and my car will be sitting in the garage on and off over the next few months I'm getting bored and need to find some stuff to do with it...one of the things I want to do is polish the MAF to look like this.

My question is, can I just take the 4 screws out that hold it together and polish everything with the sensor/center section out and put it back together or do I need to leave it together...?

Black / White

For added clarification...I will NOT be polishing the inside of the MAF, just the outside for looks...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Yes you can take it apart and polish the metal parts with the sensor out of the way but just be very careful with the actual sensor since they are very sensitive and can easily break.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree. I don't see why you couldn't. Then again, I have never messed with taking mine apart....just removing it to clean it. What are you going to use to polish it?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I agree. I don't see why you couldn't. Then again, I have never messed with taking mine apart....just removing it to clean it. What are you going to use to polish it?
    the metal housing looks like its pretty soft so probably like a 400, 800, 1000 sand combo to get red of the roughness. I dont think I'll have to go lower than 400 grit...but I could be wrong. Then hit it with either flitz or white diamond polish. Should look like a mirror by the time I'm done.

I've read that polishing the inside will lean out the motor...so I'm not doing that.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 12-02-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

They are made to come apart. Years ago a couple of companies used to sell "ported ends" that you could swap onto your stock MAF. I still have a set of those here on my original MAF in a box somewhere.

Don't think they sell that stuff anymore, or I should say I haven't seen them advertised for a long long time.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They are made to come apart. Years ago a couple of companies used to sell "ported ends" that you could swap onto your stock MAF. I still have a set of those here on my original MAF in a box somewhere.

Don't think they sell that stuff anymore, or I should say I haven't seen them advertised for a long long time.
    good to know. Looks like I'll start on this tonight since its raining and cold outside. thanks for the info guys.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

You can go a few steps further if you want. You are on the right tract with sanding but you can go to 1,200, 1,500, 2,000 and then polish and you will love the results.
    This is what the extra will get you.

This is my bike I did years ago look at the reflection of rocks in the swing arm. More work but worth it. Do it by a sink with the water running slow and keep rinseing the paper and part to keep the paper clean to cut better.
    Also Plotz Speed sell bolt kits to replace with stainless, they can be found on eBay and have many kits for almost all the top end stuff. Not to expensive.
    Good luck

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    You can go a few steps further if you want. You are on the right tract with sanding but you can go to 1,200, 1,500, 2,000 and then polish and you will love the results.
    This is what the extra will get you.
    Click for full size
    This is my bike I did years ago look at the reflection of rocks in the swing arm. More work but worth it. Do it by a sink with the water running slow and keep rinseing the paper and part to keep the paper clean to cut better.
    Also Plotz Speed sell bolt kits to replace with stainless, they can be found on eBay and have many kits for almost all the top end stuff. Not to expensive.
    Good luck
    mannnnnnnnnnnnnn thank you for posting that. I would have never gone that high with sand paper. That looks like a mirror...thats exactly what I want!

I went to take the MAF last night but I was too lazy...I literally popped the hood and just looked at it for like 5 mins and wiped some stuff off
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 12-08-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I spent a insane amout of time on this project, I started with the wheels as they were solid one color like the center,then the rear foot peg's. When I finished the peg's I was sitting in my shop looking at it and I noticed I could read the paint cans on the shelf behind me and wanted it all to look that way. Every part on the swing arm all the linkage that you couldn't even see unless you laid on the ground under it were all done. Only used straight water when I washed it and did a touch up polish once a year all hand polished. Lasted for years until I sold it. Post a pic when your done

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I spent a insane amout of time on this project, I started with the wheels as they were solid one color like the center,then the rear foot peg's. When I finished the peg's I was sitting in my shop looking at it and I noticed I could read the paint cans on the shelf behind me and wanted it all to look that way. Every part on the swing arm all the linkage that you couldn't even see unless you laid on the ground under it were all done. Only used straight water when I washed it and did a touch up polish once a year all hand polished. Lasted for years until I sold it. Post a pic when your done
    Will do! I'm slowly working on polishing everything under the hood that I can...

Thread Information