408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

thinking about doing away with my power steering

my car is no longer a dd and i want to do away with my power steering pump and was wondering what size belt i need after i get rid of it and what else i need to do to delete it

hugger orange

one of my friends, (Bills98TA) did this. its very hard to turn the wheel while sitting still or moving slow.
    you might want to look into getting a manual rack

red
    2002 SS

my pumps been out for awhile so ive gotten used to it... i got the popeye forearms to prove it lol do u know what size belt he went with?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easiest thing to do is string the pulleys with twine (or some other non-stretchy stuff). You will need a helper to hold the tensioner pulley in its approximate position. Then, go to the store and match up the string to a belt. Buy a couple of belts -- one smaller, one the same as the string and one size larger. Install what fits best and return the other two -- beats multiple trips to the parts store.

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Easiest thing to do is string the pulleys with twine (or some other non-stretchy stuff). You will need a helper to hold the tensioner pulley in its approximate position. Then, go to the store and match up the string to a belt. Buy a couple of belts -- one smaller, one the same as the string and one size larger. Install what fits best and return the other two -- beats multiple trips to the parts store.
    thats actually a good idea thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Or. Take car to the store, try belts on in parking lot by-passing the PS pump and save trips to store

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

One thing you may not have considered, should you decide to sell it, who would want to buy a car without powersteering???? I know I wouldn't, even if I was Hercules!!!! Powersteering does not take away from rwhp, nor does it slow you down. Have you checked into a used one from a junkyard? I for one, would not even consider buying a car without powersteering.

red
    2002 SS

car is a 408 car that dynoed 526 rwhp it has a full track suspension.... i wont sell it its been paid off for yrs and that car helps me keep my sanity lol.... i understand but the damn doesnt work anyways and i wanna clear more room in the engine bay so it wil be more visually stimulating

red
    2002 SS

and my ac is already out..... im rly just cleaning up the engine bay not looking for hp gains i rarely drive the car it is just a toy.... i appreciate the input. il nvr sell that car i fought like hell to keep it in my divorce lol... plus if i get a used one from a junkyard i might end up in the same boat

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I understand completely Lance. I feel the same way about my car. NEVER going to sell it. Of my own accord, anyway! They may sell it after I go to be with Jesus, but it won't be me selling it, that's for sure!!!

Thread Information