3:73 gear
    LS6 intake
    meling oil pump
    ls2 Timing chain
    comp springs/pushrods
    Aluiminum Driveshaft
    Dyno tune

car on dynojet made 360RWH 355TRQ

also the tuner said that the PCM on the 98 ls1 didnt allow as many changes as the new ones and couldnt get the stal to lock up on the dyno....so he said its reading about 20hp less?????

ill have dyno sheets up tommorow
    but i was def expecting more like 370-380
    Last edited by rcorte3001; 04-11-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Black
    Trans am

that low vs my.
    I Have a 01 Trans Am A4

I have a 228R Cam 112 Lisa
    LT Headers
    Y Pipe
    Cutout
    Flowmaster Super 10 Catback
    SLP Intake
    SLP Ram Air

Before the Tune
    358rwhp 371rwtq

After The Tune

373rwhp 386rwtq

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

it seems a LITTLE low, but keep in mind that many of your mods are support mods, they dont add power.

Stall
    gears
    oil pump
    timing chains
    springs
    pushrods
    driveshaft.

all those dont add power.

you start off with 325 on the motor stock, your intake and your exhaust will get you up closer to 375 on motor, which is roughly 320 to wheels, granted a 15% power loss though the auto trans. add your cam and tune, thats good for 40-50hp, putting you at 420 on motor, which gives us 357 to the wheels

where you are lacking most, is in the tune, if what your guy says is correct. a cammed LS1 is all about the tune. You also have more power to gain from the exhaust, put on a set of LTs and you'll hit your 370 mark, maybe the 380 easy enough.

Black
    Trans am

Yea, Long Tube Headers with a Cammed, Intake, and Tune Combo are gains around 20 - 25rwhp. changing ur headers to LT Headers you might get 5 - 15 more hp with a good tune. I use HP Tuners
    Turbo PT-T88 TH400 12psi pump gas "675rwhp"

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Yeah i know im def losing alot at the headers also heard that 98 ls1 always tune low too? and he also said that he coulnt get the stall to unlock up?

Black
    Trans am

i have a Yank 2800 Sleath so, i dont know why ur is doing that.

Black
    Trans am

but looking at the dyno before and after the tune. you should see gains from 10 - 25rwhp from what u have. i got around 18hp and 14tq. if the dyno before and after are almost the same then its ur tuner

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

he said the 98 computers didnt have the perameters that allowed him to go in and unlock the stall

Black
    Trans am

? i wont know, but that cause im a 01, but i thought 97 - 02 F-Body where the same. but i dont know about that

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

supposly the 98 pcm was diffrent from the rest

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

the stall only lets you hold higher RPMS to launch off the line with....no HP difference

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Hey i know that but i was just wondering cause after looking online on the dyno jet most cars make 370+ with just about the same mods... the only thing i was wondering was is that the reason it produced those smaller numbers? im not to worried about dyno numbers cause they dont mean much but is it true that with a locked up conceerter the dyno racks up 15-20 more hp on the numbers?

even though its not actual hp gains its just braging right numbers added to that actual power?

i was are that with the converter unlocked on the dyno thats the actual power to the wheeels on the street real numbers but when they tune it with the locked up converter it adds those extra 15-20hp (fake) added power? cause that would explain the diffrence in the dyno sheets between others

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    the stall only lets you hold higher RPMS to launch off the line with....no HP difference

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by rcorte3001 View Post
    he said the 98 computers didnt have the perameters that allowed him to go in and unlock the stall
    supposly the 98 pcm was diffrent from the rest

This is how it was explained to me on how our PCM's are for the LS1

97-98's share the same (think of it as a Pentium processor for computers)

99-00's have an updated on over the above (think of it as a Pentium 2 processor for computers)

01-02's are updated above all (think of it as a Pentium 3 processor for computers)

I think that your tuner doesn't have is the software to fully interact with the 97/98 PCM's. They are fairly older then the others and most tuners only keep what is current. I check into what it would cost for me to get a full dyno tune when I eventually get cam/heads done and the 3 shops in my area all told me that they would have to find the software for my 98 in order to tune it properly.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    a few years ago, a friend of mine put a tci stall in his vette....he was full bolt ons....put down less than 300 at the wheels....tuner told him the stall was bullshit....i laughed when he told me about it...then he put a circle d stall in and got 380ish ....now i dunno if the tune screwed, or if the dyno or what, but thats a situation that did happen..

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

My tuner didn't have any problems tuning my car with the 98 PCM. He was able to lock and unlock the converter whenever he wanted. I'm guessing your tuner just need to get the software for the 97-98 PCMs.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Hey i know that but i was just wondering cause after looking online on the dyno jet most cars make 370+ with just about the same mods... the only thing i was wondering was is that the reason it produced those smaller numbers? im not to worried about dyno numbers cause they dont mean much but is it true that with a locked up conceerter the dyno racks up 15-20 more hp on the numbers?

even though its not actual hp gains its just braging right numbers added to that actual power?

i was are that with the converter unlocked on the dyno thats the actual power to the wheeels on the street real numbers but when they tune it with the locked up converter it adds those extra 15-20hp (fake) added power? cause that would explain the diffrence in the dyno sheets between others
    Yes, locking up the converter during the dyno run will increase the rear wheel numbers because you are eliminating the slippage from the converter. Depending on how loose the converter is to begin with will determine how much of a gain there will be.
    Because of these differences (among others) it's nearly impossible to compare dyno numbers with other cars. Your tuner either may not have the software to lock the converter, or it's also possible he felt the converter clutch wasn't capable of holding. Some converter clutches are not made stout enough to lock under power (at least not for long ) Depends on what you have, but it's hard on it either way.

I'd just be happy with the number so long as your tune is good, and take it to the track and put a number up there, that's the one that counts

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

That seems a little low to me.

Thread Information