Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Are these noises normal on our LS1'?

Hi all. I have a few videos of noises that my 98 TA has. I trying to make sure they are normal conditions or if I'm having a problem. Check them out and let me know please.

This is the 1st one, this is the noise inside my car while driving around 35-75 MPH. The sound is not the exhaust. It's coming from the rear right tire(passenger) area.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L50kFo-0UU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L50kFo-0UU[/ame]

I rotate the back tire with the front one and the noise went down a bit. I think I have a bent wheel because I have some vibration in the steering wheel now

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The 2nd one is some kinda knocking noise inside my rear end. My wheels are of the ground the car is in Park gear. If I grab the rear wheel and try to move it back and forward there is a little bit of play(not much), but I hear this knocking noise inside the rear end. Is that normal?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNk8nHuwY8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNk8nHuwY8[/ame]

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

and lastly is some pinning noise that I have everytime I floor the car (WOT). It sound like when I put regular octane fuel but I always put 93 in it.
    Is it normal or not? It happens on 1st gear and 2nd gear as long as I keep the WOT. If I ease up on the gas pedal then it doesn't make the noise.The car has this noise since I got it. It has almost 100k.

I tried recording it but the exhaust covers the noise

Thanks guys.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Vibration in the steering wheel is NOT normal. However, I think the problems you have are 2 seperate ones. The vibration in the steering wheel is being caused from something in the front end. You can take your tires up to a tire shop and get them balanced (if they need it), that's where I would start for that issue.

I'm not sure excatly what motion your going through with the rear? Are you rotating the tires clockwise/counterclockwise? How much each way? Could be part of your parking brake bouncing around in there. When was the last time you checked those?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well the thing is that if i rotate tire that I think the wheel is bent from the front to the rear then the vibration at the steering wheel stops. then i feel the vibration on the back of the car.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

vibration is usually a tire balance issue, not a bent rim. So hopefully its not a bent rim. I couldn't hear anything in the 1st video but wind noise.
    2nd video, I'm still waiting of clearification that KMdef9 mentioned.
    3rd pinging problem. 2 ideas I had were you are running lean or have too high of compression due to carbon buildup. Is your car 100% stock?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well the only mods related with the engine are the LS6 intake, oil catch can, tunedbyfrost basic tune, MSD wires, TR 55's and Borla exhaust.

I'm taking the car tomorrow to rebalance all tires and have them put the car on the lift and look at the rear tires while rotating them.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Vibration in the steering wheel COULD be something simple as a tire out of balance.

SteveC

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well I took to the shop that I trust and they confirmed that the wheels are not bent and the tires were rebalanced. It got alot better. They check the rear end and they said that they can hear the passenger side axle bearing making some noise but not that loud. They also told me that the rear rotors are warp. I'm going to change the rotors and pads since I got them here. I was looking to change the E brake shoes as well but those suckers are like 90 bucks! damm.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    well the only mods related with the engine are the LS6 intake, oil catch can, tunedbyfrost basic tune, MSD wires, TR 55's and Borla exhaust.

I'm taking the car tomorrow to rebalance all tires and have them put the car on the lift and look at the rear tires while rotating them.
    ddid you gap all your plugs correctly??? also i'd remove the plugs and check for cracks in them...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the plugs are gap at .050.

Thread Information